For Sale By Owner...have you tried it?

southernblues

We are looking at listing our house. Met with realtor and based on her commission I would say the economy has not affected her...;)

Anyone have any luck? We have lawyer friends that would write up contracts, we are in new neighborhood on edge of town and continue to get traffic of new buyers as they are still building.

Thanks -

We bought a house from FSBO I really like not having to pay a Realtor for doing nothing, being that you have Lawyer friends to write up the contract you are half way there, all you left to do is agree on a bank or lender for closing and you can negotiate house inspections. hope this helps

They say that house will sell quicker and for more money with a realtor. Of course the study was done by the National Realtor Association. I have tried to sell a house a couple times FSBO but with little luck. The realtor had them both gone in 2 weeks. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Good responses. I didn't think it would be slanted towards one way. Thing is I don't have a lot of equity in my home built it 2 yrs ago) and we are trying to move back home where family is.

I know the realtor brings a database of buyers but I'm not in hurry or have to sell either. We are corner lot and those who come into our neighborhood looking to buy/build have to stop at our house which my opinion has pretty good curb appeal.

Thanks for the feedback -- I trust you all more than lawyers and realtors (hope that doesn't offend anyone..!)!

Good responses. I didn't think it would be slanted towards one way. Thing is I don't have a lot of equity in my home built it 2 yrs ago) and we are trying to move back home where family is.

I know the realtor brings a database of buyers but I'm not in hurry or have to sell either. We are corner lot and those who come into our neighborhood looking to buy/build have to stop at our house which my opinion has pretty good curb appeal.

Thanks for the feedback -- I trust you all more than lawyers and realtors (hope that doesn't offend anyone..!)!

SB, I used to not care for guides, realtors or lawyers but when you need one and you find a really good one they are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck on the sale!

SB, I used to not care for guides, realtors or lawyers but when you need one and you find a really good one they are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck on the sale!

Tongue in cheek - we have close friends in the legal field (wife was paralegal for 12)....just ribbin. But if I get a chance to save ME money...

I sold 1 FSBO, but I was not in a great hurry. Was a very good experience for me. I did pay the realator who brought the buyer 3%, but she was well known and did the paperwork correctly. I just had a lawyer review.

About an hr south of Spring Hill....Iola.

I work from home and cover KS/MO/NE so as long as I can get where I'm going within reason, I'm good.

I think there are websites you can list your house on FSBO for a nominal fee and will get you in the MLS. I think getting into the MLS is key and having the right and a good number of photos as well as paperwork in front of your house that people can pick up from the sign (you know, one of those info boxes a lot of realtors have on their signs)

As long as you price it right and let it be known that you will give any realtor bringing you a buyer the typical 3% I think you should go for it. I dont know what county you are in, but Im thinking you are in a suburb of KC near OP? If you are Im sure there is lots of info to be gleaned by visiting the appraisers office at the county seat such as recent sales comps in your neighborhood form the last 2 years, and the tax appraised info....that will give you a good idea on what to price your house at per square foot and leave you a little room for some negotiating.

A lot of realtors dont know their head from their you know what. Problem is anyone can become a realtor.

I really dont like realtors much and I DESPISE banks. Closing on a house and getting a home loan is such a pain in the ass. My credit is near and approaching above a score of 800, for Christ sakes my payment and credit history should be enough to show Im responsible enough to know how much I can borrow and pay the bank. I really would like to find a bank where it does business old school and after they get to know you, you can simply call the guy up on the phone tell him what you are doing and they just draw up the paperwork and you come in and sign it. Someday that may happen for my investments or I will be cash rich enough to just write a check for a purchase of a house. Now Im off my soap box.

Off topic - you say you work from home...I do as well....what is it that you do if you dont mind me asking and what industry do you work in?

Im an insurance adjuster. I like working from home, this just gets boring after a while but the benefits (home office is a major one) and pay are hard to find somewhere else. Where else can I go and have my dogs sitting on a dog bed 5' away. :)

Last edited:
We are looking at listing our house. Met with realtor and based on her commission I would say the economy has not affected her...;)

Anyone have any luck? We have lawyer friends that would write up contracts, we are in new neighborhood on edge of town and continue to get traffic of new buyers as they are still building.

Thanks -
You may have to speak to my wife, she used to work for Reece and Nichols Real Estate. (7 years) She got out right before the market went south! She could lend you some ideas and maybe some insight as to what will benefit you. Just an idea!

Thanks -

I have been in the real estate business for over 20 years...full time...it is amazing how many people I know think they can do it theirselves...when they get a contract or an offer...they look around and dont know what to do...most attorneys dont do ANYTHING until the work is done...and they send you a bill either if it sells or not. If you are selling...and you are lucky enough to find a cash buyer...you might come out alright. But...I dont go to the guy next door to get a tooth pulled...I use a professional. You might think your saving a commission...but...FSBO's dont have liability insurance...keept that in mind. When it comes to legal advice...well...just be careful...good luck

Back