Footage Late Season Colorado Pheasant Hunt

Good video. Major kudos for showing your misses. That is an honest late season video hunt. Good job. It's hard enough to hunt late season roosters but then add that wind and you're uphill all the way. Hunting in wind blows!

It's super important to be as quiet as possible on these late season pheasants. You'd be amazed how far they hear a car door slam or a voice command to your dog. When I hunt late season rooster, I think of it as if I am turkey hunting, even to the point where I don't let my shotgun bolt slam shut loudly. Zero noise and still most rooster will flush wild.
Also when hunting a spot like that first spot on your video I've found rather than hunt along the edge. I make half circles out into the field a 100 yds or so then down 100 yds then back up towards the open field. This will sometimes cause the birds to hold better when pushed to the edge of an open field.

Thanks again. Keep the videos coming

Good video. Major kudos for showing your misses. That is an honest late season video hunt. Good job. It's hard enough to hunt late season roosters but then add that wind and you're uphill all the way. Hunting in wind blows!

It's super important to be as quiet as possible on these late season pheasants. You'd be amazed how far they hear a car door slam or a voice command to your dog. When I hunt late season rooster, I think of it as if I am turkey hunting, even to the point where I don't let my shotgun bolt slam shut loudly. Zero noise and still most rooster will flush wild.
Also when hunting a spot like that first spot on your video I've found rather than hunt along the edge. I make half circles out into the field a 100 yds or so then down 100 yds then back up towards the open field. This will sometimes cause the birds to hold better when pushed to the edge of an open field.

Thanks again. Keep the videos coming
Great advice! I will use it on my upcoming trip!

Kiva,
It was a productive hunt. You spent time out with the dog and learned a few things that you’ll probably do differently next time.
Late season roosters are tough. I find it takes a lot more strategy than just a waltz through the grass.
Good video!
Matt

Kiva,
It was a productive hunt. You spent time out with the dog and learned a few things that you’ll probably do differently next time.
Late season roosters are tough. I find it takes a lot more strategy than just a waltz through the grass.
Good video!
Matt
Thanks Matt. Even after hunting them for almost 40 years I’m still amazed at how smart and cunning late season roosters can be. I think that I have a plan and know how they will act but then they teach me more lessons. I guess that’s why they have been able survive after being introduced over here.

Very good video and nice action, all hunts are productive some just have more feathers in the vest than others. My first trip to SD this fall I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, second trip I couldn't miss.

Very good video and nice action, all hunts are productive some just have more feathers in the vest than others. My first trip to SD this fall I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, second trip I couldn't miss.
Thanks! That’s a great way to look at things!

Back