Flushing vs pointing lab inquiry

Keskam,
Nice video. Did you train your dog to sit on flush? Is that something you want?

Your dog looks very nice.
I saw you have that Higgins Releaser. Do you like it? I love mine, and it has proven to be a valuable tool for my training methods. I like to use it when my dogs have graduated past the launchers, but aren't ready for loose dizzied birds yet. It's great.

Yes i trained him to sit to flush,(he is not Whoa trained) I take a few kids out hunting and also take the dogs to a Phesants forever youth hunts in Wyoming, and i dont want the dog in any danger from a gunshot, I send him on his name, In South Dakota or Colorado I will say his name as soon as i raise my gun so he is there when the bird falls.

Higgins releases are outstanding, you can put Phez in there and open them up and let the bird run , It is not dizzied and the dogs wont catch the bird, I have 3 of them,

Yes i trained him to sit to flush,(he is not Whoa trained) I take a few kids out hunting and also take the dogs to a Phesants forever youth hunts in Wyoming, and i dont want the dog in any danger from a gunshot, I send him on his name, In South Dakota or Colorado I will say his name as soon as i raise my gun so he is there when the bird falls.

Higgins releases are outstanding, you can put Phez in there and open them up and let the bird run , It is not dizzied and the dogs wont catch the bird, I have 3 of them,

I never replied, I completely understand breaking the dog to shot, and having him sit. I try to train mine to that level too. But not to sit, just stand. Either way, I can appreciate that level of training. Nice!

Have you ran any HRC upland tests? I am running my first in a few weeks and I am a bit concerned about the birds. In training with a local club the silly chucker fly so poorly a sit to flush is a bugger when the bird never really takes flight. Would the judges call a no-bird if it never gets off the ground for more than a couple feet. Trying to get a sit to flush when the dog kicks over the bird hide and than the bird gets a foot off the ground flies 5' and than stands there is a bit much to ask of most any dog

Have you ran any HRC upland tests? I am running my first in a few weeks and I am a bit concerned about the birds. In training with a local club the silly chucker fly so poorly a sit to flush is a bugger when the bird never really takes flight. Would the judges call a no-bird if it never gets off the ground for more than a couple feet. Trying to get a sit to flush when the dog kicks over the bird hide and than the bird gets a foot off the ground flies 5' and than stands there is a bit much to ask of most any dog

I have run Jedi in the Upland and passed both, I just blow a sit whistle when the bird flys, I will run Both Jedi and Snakey Jake in the upland for points both will be close to 400 when the season starts so i am hoping to pass 500 points with both this year.

They may do a simulated retrieve, But they will also do a walkup with a bird launched close to you so he has to sit until the bird hits the ground. I would say your dog HAS to stay put if there is a bad flush, after all it is a Master test.

I have run Jedi in the Upland and passed both, I just blow a sit whistle when the bird flys, I will run Both Jedi and Snakey Jake in the upland for points both will be close to 400 when the season starts so i am hoping to pass 500 points with both this year.

They may do a simulated retrieve, But they will also do a walkup with a bird launched close to you so he has to sit until the bird hits the ground. I would say your dog HAS to stay put if there is a bad flush, after all it is a Master test.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about this as a test for a "finished" dog. My pup has a solid whistle sit and will do fine with a decent flush....if not I will go back and plug any holes and try again. The pup is 1 1/2 old and real solid, but still a puppy at times. I should probably wait till next winter to run but I am bored!

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about this as a test for a "finished" dog. My pup has a solid whistle sit and will do fine with a decent flush....if not I will go back and plug any holes and try again. The pup is 1 1/2 old and real solid, but still a puppy at times. I should probably wait till next winter to run but I am bored!

Go for it! You will do great. I believe you do get a controled break too.

Back