Five days and 1 bird.

After five full days only bagged one bird. Last Tuesday in the light rain. Only saw about a dozen roosters all week and about thirty hens. Midweek I relocated about an hour or so west and south of where I started. Maybe saw a few more birds in that area, however very few fields had cover to hunt. Enjoyed the trip and got the dog on a few birds and shed a pound or two, so all is good.

We have had a tough time getting on birds as well, so you are not alone there.
The roosters around here are incredibly spooky.

They are blowing out way in front. I have lost count how many hens Ace has pointed, but it is a bunch. Several time we have walked in on his point to have a hen come up and then see a rooster blow out 100 yards up :mad:

We have had a tough time getting on birds as well, so you are not alone there.
The roosters around here are incredibly spooky.

They are blowing out way in front. I have lost count how many hens Ace has pointed, but it is a bunch. Several time we have walked in on his point to have a hen come up and then see a rooster blow out 100 yards up :mad:

Sounds to me that you could use a cold snap from Mother Nature with a little snow to hold’em tight. I think Maynard would love to see some more white precipitation.

I actually got into a few coveys of Quail today with 8-12 birds at best. My finger just couldn’t pull the trigger as they erupted as singles and doubles. The birds hold good, but the dogs are scolding me with their eyes when the report of the smoke pole stays silent.

We got into 2 nice coveys today of 15 or more birds. They sure helped make a tough day on pheasants a lot more fun.

We got into 2 nice coveys today of 15 or more birds. They sure helped make a tough day on pheasants a lot more fun.

There’s a honey hole out there, just a matter of time.

What happened to the good old days when you counted birds per mile. Around here averaging a bird a day; which is about 5 miles to the bird. Yesterday 2 roosters and about 20 hens.

After five full days only bagged one bird. Last Tuesday in the light rain. Only saw about a dozen roosters all week and about thirty hens. Midweek I relocated about an hour or so west and south of where I started. Maybe saw a few more birds in that area, however very few fields had cover to hunt. Enjoyed the trip and got the dog on a few birds and shed a pound or two, so all is good.

I hope that bird is DELICIOUS!!!:p Better luck to you on your next trip out.:thumbsup:

Back