First timer Kansas bound

GWP14

I will be headed out the day after thanksgiving from Illinois for 5 days of hunting on WIHA. I will be basing out of Webber. I have an atlas have plenty of spots picked out. Just looking for some advice out there on what to be looking for. Not looking for anyone's spots. Is there a chance of seeing pheasant, quail and prairie chickens in this area. Or is this primarily quail country. Im bringing a gwp, gsp, and a pointer with me.
Thank you.

You should be able to get into quail and pheasants in that area. You will see chickens if you ride around in the evenings and early mornings. They will fly from cover to crop stubble and back. You may get lucky and walk up on some mid day. I usually find quail there in woody creek bottoms and draws. Pheasants could be anywhere. Don't overlook milo stubble. The thicker and more ragged the better. Its tough to cover with just one guy and a dog. Success can be had though. Walk them all the way to fences or roads and be ready. Just because something looks like a barren cut wheat field from the road , don't just assume theres nothing there. Get out and put the boot miles in. Ive been fortunate to hunt a lot of places for the first time. Most of those first time trips came with a learning curve and some wasted time. Most of those paid off in the future. Maybe keep that mindset and have fun!

Not only is that pheasant and quail country, you can eat at the Buffalo Roam in Mankato (east end of town). It has a buffet where a hungry hunter can get replenished for the next day's treks. Hope you have a fun and productive trip. Tell us about it on this forum when you get back home.

GWP 14,
I'm also heading out for the first time to the Beloit area on Dec. 6 for a couple days with my nephew. It would be great to hear how you do. We are also planning on hunting all WIHA ground.

There are plenty of birds on WIHA. Some provide much better habitat than others. You should find plenty of quail.

I will be headed out the day after thanksgiving from Illinois for 5 days of hunting on WIHA. I will be basing out of Webber. I have an atlas have plenty of spots picked out. Just looking for some advice out there on what to be looking for. Not looking for anyone's spots. Is there a chance of seeing pheasant, quail and prairie chickens in this area. Or is this primarily quail country. Im bringing a gwp, gsp, and a pointer with me.
Thank you.

I hope you did well! Reports are quite spotty. Then again, it's been hot as hell most weekends!

Back