First time with shock collar

My dogs all learned through trial and error that chasing deer was s futile endeavor that just led to being more tired and not catching any deer. Rabbits about the same.

These are hunting dogs and they will want to run after things that run away from them. Eventually they figure out that the big furry things that run are not really fun to chase.
Really!! That’s how you handle deer/rabbit chasing?? Let them run until they get tired/lost/run over/ shot ect???Seriously really ..are your not 😳serious??

Really!! That’s how you handle deer/rabbit chasing?? Let them run until they get tired/lost/run over/ shot ect???Seriously really ..are your not 😳serious??
Yes, that is possible with some dogs. An old timer once told me to just ignore them, and they will quit. It might have worked with his laid back Lewellen setters, but my two-year-old hell bent for leather gwp had other ideas!!

Ok after my above rant… my method for many years for what it’s worth! And for me extremely effective.
Let me first point out I have been criticized..teased for being somewhat soft on my dogs.
However when it comes to something as serious as this. I don’t mess around
Above I’ve heard..gentle correction..sweet talk..ect.
Excess verbiage..ex. No no sweety pie..don’t chase please sweetheart that might be Bambi..or that could be the Easter Buuny..ect. B.S.
two words are all that’s needed and it helps keeping it easy for the dogs to understand..those words are…NO AND HERE
Pretty simple!
Ok..
Once my dogs understand the collar..I set them up with the opportunity to chase! (Easy to do where I live)
When they do ..I lay into them hard with NO HERE Or simply NO There is no negotiation..
I hate ..won’t be pick picking on something this serious ..let’s deal with it and get it cured and over with right now.lay into to them and get it over with
once or twice ..with maybe a reminder along the way and ..issue over..
Ok just my opinion and method..fire away😳

A lot of good dogs have been ruined by inappropriate use of e-collars, even if the dog was collar conditioned in advance. You may get lucky and get away with stopping a dog chasing something (deer, rabbit, whatever) using an e-collar, but the chances are pretty high that you will cause unanticipated behavior for a long time (like the life of the dog). I agree with David that setting up the chasing scenario so that there is no other outside influence is the best, and probably only way to go. We do that for snake avoidance training and it works. It isn't pleasant for the dog, but it takes everything but the snake and the dog out of the picture and for most dogs, never needs to be repeated. The same will work for deer or other running (prey) animals. Please don't try to do it out in the field on a hunt unless you have absolutely no other options.

A lot of good dogs have been ruined by inappropriate use of e-collars, even if the dog was collar conditioned in advance. You may get lucky and get away with stopping a dog chasing something (deer, rabbit, whatever) using an e-collar, but the chances are pretty high that you will cause unanticipated behavior for a long time (like the life of the dog). I agree with David that setting up the chasing scenario so that there is no other outside influence is the best, and probably only way to go. We do that for snake avoidance training and it works. It isn't pleasant for the dog, but it takes everything but the snake and the dog out of the picture and for most dogs, never needs to be repeated. The same will work for deer or other running (prey) animals. Please don't try to do it out in the field on a hunt unless you have absolutely no other options.
Thank you ..I should maybe have emphasized..only done on a set up scenario..not in conjunction with anything else..
And you are correct..I did the same thing with snake avoidance..same system .same positive result

Ok after my above rant… my method for many years for what it’s worth! And for me extremely effective.
Let me first point out I have been criticized..teased for being somewhat soft on my dogs.
However when it comes to something as serious as this. I don’t mess around
Above I’ve heard..gentle correction..sweet talk..ect.
Excess verbiage..ex. No no sweety pie..don’t chase please sweetheart that might be Bambi..or that could be the Easter Buuny..ect. B.S.
two words are all that’s needed and it helps keeping it easy for the dogs to understand..those words are…NO AND HERE
Pretty simple!
Ok..
Once my dogs understand the collar..I set them up with the opportunity to chase! (Easy to do where I live)
When they do ..I lay into them hard with NO HERE Or simply NO There is no negotiation..
I hate ..won’t be pick picking on something this serious ..let’s deal with it and get it cured and over with right now.lay into to them and get it over with
once or twice ..with maybe a reminder along the way and ..issue over..
Ok just my opinion and method..fire away😳
My 5 year old lab saw deer for the first time in her life when we moved this fall from Alaska to Montana.
She was pretty jazzed when they ran away and wanted to chase them.
It was easy to teach her not to chase deer...but she is a biddable lab...she runs hunt test/field trials,
so understands the sit whistle is not negotiable. So whenever she started to chase deer, sit whistle.

She knows if she does not sit immediately, the next one will be sit-ecollar nick-sit.
We live where non-tribal members can not hunt deer so out place has deer 24/7
so lots of repetitions with deer in our backyard and front yard every day.
And this is a very biddable lab...a harsher e-collar correction might be needed for a different dog.
Scout_Q_av.jpeg

Back