First Time to SD

rjbert2

I am trying to put together a trip for myself and my 11 year old son and other Uncles and Nephews and Neices for a first time ever Hunt with Youngsters to South Dakota. We are looking for a nice big place to hunt with our three dogs and kids that is reasonable. This is going to be a Family trip for us every year if all goes according to the plan. I would greatly appreciate any and all help and ideas regarding where to start out.

Our group consists of former farmers and longtime hunters who are mentoring some youngsters who love to hunt. We want to try to give them a South Dakota Experience that they would'nt forget.

From what I've read so far this looks like a very good site.

Welcome to the site. It's awesome. You may want to post in the regional area about this. Lot's of guys here from SD that can help ya out.

welcome to the site!
are you looking for private land or public land and do you have a $$budget$$ in mind?

Welcome to UPH, I hope you find a lot enjoyment here, A lot of us do just that daily......Bob

rjbert2

rjbert2, welcome to uph. this is a great source of info. south dakota hunt there is a guy on this sight ,handle is uguide, you might what to check him out. im trying to get a group of hunter to go to one of his sight in south dakota this fall or next year. hope this helps. welcome to the forums.:)

Thank You all for all the ideas. I will contact UGUIDE and ask him a few questions. Our budgetr is probably aroiund $300.00 dollars for three days or so. I honestly don't know what ot expect. I have to take some time and look at some of the sites the this group recomends.

We are all looking forward to hunting in SD, but I and the other older guys are looking forward to see the twelve year olds faces and wartching the young dogs work.

The goal is to start a family tradition before some of us are just going along for the guy time together and the naps.

I will try to visit this site more often for advice. I think this will be fun and informative.

Thank You again

Welcome.
You are right the naps after a long day hunting. :thumbsup: can't beat them.

Yes, I did mean $300.00 per person for three days. I figure it will take us a day to get out that way and a day to get back. I haven't found much information on the cost for the kids? I'm searching some of the sites that are on "Ultimate Pheasant Hunting".

Thanks for the info. Please don't be afraid to help us with any direction. I believe in the experience of others to eliminate mistakes.

I found the "UGUIDE" link. That's wonderful and full of information.

We do believe they will. We haven't given to much for details to the two twelve year old boys yet, for obvious reasons. I'll have to be patient. I'm sure something will come up.:thumbsup:

RJ, welcome to the site and as you can see there is a lot of good help here.

As far as the UGUIDE option goes I will tell you that I don't think there is another outfitter in the state that competes with our Youth and Jr. discounts.

Out rates are what I beleieve to be close to market for what we offer and by that I mean a rate that will causes farmers to change there behaviour and farm their ground more aggressively for native wild pheasants (add or convert to more bird habitat).

Here's a brief summary of what Youth and Jr. discount look like:

Youth FREE - Up to 2 youth, age 12-15, can stay and hunt for free with group of 6 paying adults. 1 Youth can hunt/stay free with a group of 5 or less paying adults.
Juniors 50% Off - Up to 2 Juniors, ages 16-17, can stay and hunt for half price with group of 6 paying guests. 1 Junior can hunt/stay at 50% off with a group of 5 or less paying adults.

Find a full list of discount here

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/rates/

And find a week in season that fits your budget best and list of availability across all our pheasant camps here.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/availability/

Chris,

I'm new to this forum thing. So If I make some mistakes or post only half of something bare with me.

I do want to say I have been spending much more time on this site than I had planned. Obviously because of the interesting posts and quality of information you can get here. I see a very impressive group dedicated hunting people. This is the kind of thing that's needed to pass along the traditions to our next generations of kids.

After spending a great deal of time looking around I am going to pass your information along to our group of "mature hunters" first and talk things over. We can make some decisions and then talk to the younger portion of our group.

Thank you and everyone for all the kind words of encouragement and suggestions. It the great people that make a great website. I'm glad I found it.:thumbsup:

Ric and Noah

Back