First MN trip.

esetter

Hey all , we are going to stop and hunt in MN for two days on our way to North Dakota. Our focus will be ruffed grouse and woodcock. I would love the chance to shoot 1 spruce to mark it off of my list. We have hunted in Michigan a couple of times but you couldn't harvest spruce there then. Any good general area ideas of where a mixed bag may be found? Thanks!

david0311

Hey all , we are going to stop and hunt in MN for two days on our way to North Dakota. Our focus will be ruffed grouse and woodcock. I would love the chance to shoot 1 spruce to mark it off of my list. We have hunted in Michigan a couple of times but you couldn't harvest spruce there then. Any good general area ideas of where a mixed bag may be found? Thanks!

Baudette area would be a good choice--for ruff and sharpies as well--:)

Thanks for the tip. We really are going into this trip blindly. are there spruce grouse in that area too?

yes a few... every species of grouse in MN is in that area except prairie chickens... non resident cant hunt them so no biggie for u...

killing spruce grouse is all in there name find spruce swamps & ruffed grouse habitat near them & u mite see a spruce grouse ... hard to get on the wing most grouse in that area just flush into trees & watch u aproach...

good luck...

killing spruce grouse is all in there name find spruce swamps & ruffed grouse habitat near them & u mite see a spruce grouse ... hard to get on the wing most grouse in that area just flush into trees & watch u aproach...

good luck...

I had no idea Mn had Spruce grouse. Very cool. Thanks for the info SMO.

Nick

david0311

Baudette area would be a good choice--for ruff and sharpies as well--:)

Was stationed there years ago--forgot to add you could also get some great walleye fishing in as well--

Still fish the area all the time

Currently live about 110 miles south:cheers:

If you wish PM me for more info-

Much appreciated. Im pretty pumped. Gray Morph ruffed grouse are cool , we only have reds here. Hope to shoot a nice gray and a spruce. Will woodcock be around then? Will be hunting 14-15 of October.

true all grey phase ruffed grouse are hard to find theres like almost a dozen variations of color phase ruffed grouse... most are red grey mix.. i want a true grey for my wall also... shot a grey phase with red band on tail & ruffs on neck blew him up or woulda mounted..

you have grey phase if u have ruffed grouse just red are dominint probably due to habitat grey die 1st etc. in WI on st croix river lots of reds but pretty 1s more pines there & oak & hazel nut trees... lots of aspen makes more grey phase sometimes i think???

good luck keep us posted on ur hunt... do some research on mn spruce grouse & u mite find some good or better areas trust me but that area is good starting point u gotta cover miles to locate spruce grouse but once u find 1 look around hard probably more around

I agree with the mostly mixed phases. You rarely see any grey down here. No aspens in the mountains. I will be looking into that area. Thanks a TON!

if the weather stays like it is now warm there should be some woodcock around not all will be south then... just seen 1 walking my dog last nite had 1 land in my yard 2 wks ago goofy birds...

try google spruce grouse & the area u think n about mite get a good read in a old g&f mag article if u dig deep...

Shot a spruce hen last year about 15 miles north of Two Harbors off of hwy 2 between there and Isabella on back roads lots of swampy ground. Dark meat and was not to good eating.

My friend killed one once. Said it was bad eating too. I think sharpies are decent at best. I really just want a spruce fan on my shelf and the chance to mark it off of my list. I really appreciate the information and reply.

Back