First Mallard hunt of year

JPH

Got a call from our farmer who was picking his corn. He reported the ducks were getting into the freshly picked corn. Decided to load up the field blinds,my son, the dog and go have a look. He was correct. We shot our 2 man limit of 14 in about an hour once they started to fly. My son was on fire. He had 2 doubles, and a triple for his limit. Great day in the field. Things usually get really good around mid Dec through mid Jan. Can't wait for the cold and the Red Leggers to arrive!
My son and dog with birds:
P1010128.jpg

The field when we were leaving. May be another hunt to be had here!
P1010132.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff! Looking forward to some good field hunts coming up here soon. Can't beat Mallards in the Corn!!

I am 'officially' jealous.

Looks to have been a great time.

Have only jump shot ducks, never in a field blind. Do you decoy them in?

:coolpics:

Last edited:
I am 'offically' jealous.

MN we only get a 4 mallard limit. that way we save all the good shooting for you guys:rolleyes:

Nice job :thumbsup:

:coolpics::thumbsup: thanks for sharing. Been trying to duck hunt but no ducks:( I think them dirty Minnasotians killed them all:mad: They must of figured out how to put shells in their guns:D

You know coot, two can play at that game.

The real reason you don't see any ducks in Iowa is that to a duck or any other bird that flies south for the winter, there simply is nothing in Iowa worth stopping for and so they just carry on to the next state. :D

Thanks guys. Always fun to hunt with my son and field shoot mallards. We are fortunate to have a long season and liberal limits here in the Pacific Flyway.

Do you decoy them in?

Kismet, we do decoy them. We use layout blinds, decoys, mojos and it is typically in your face shooting. Good stuff.:cheers:

You know coot, two can play at that game.

The real reason you don't see any ducks in Iowa is that to a duck or any other bird that flies south for the winter, there simply is nothing in Iowa worth stopping for and so they just carry on to the next state. :D

I'd agree with that:)Hows that hunting been up there?

Great Pictures JPH what state are you from ???? :coolpics:

Back