First broods

Thanks for the update Jmac, sounds like things are ok where its not on fire.:eek: We had a freak storm past week that dumped 3/4 of an inch of rain over night, I hope it didn't hurt the birds to much. I'll report what I'm seeing soon, just haven't had a chance to get out lately.

Thanks for the update Jmac, sounds like things are ok where its not on fire.:eek: We had a freak storm past week that dumped 3/4 of an inch of rain over night, I hope it didn't hurt the birds to much. I'll report what I'm seeing soon, just haven't had a chance to get out lately.

Wow 3/4 inch, send that stuff our way, we could use all that and more. The fires are bad . I guess will just have to wait and see if or what affect it has on the quail. Mearns and Scaled being the most impacted by the fire in south east Az.:(

Very encouraging sign this morning. I haven't been seeing a whole lot of broods so far this year (i haven't really done a whole lot of looking either) even though the conditions seem pretty ideal. So today I'm working in an area known to hold a few quail, last year this specific covey had about 15 and I didn't hunt them at all. I stopped for a minute to listen for a whistle but instead heard a warning chirp, a lot of them. Stepped into the field and flushed about 10 mature adults, 30-40 3/4 grown juvies, and about 25 that were probably 2 weeks old! So in one season this covey my well quadruple its size! I hope the quail in my other spots are following suit, can't wait to see what that covey of 75 from last year did.:D

Yes is looking like a tough year for Quail. There are still huntable numbers around large bodies of water (lakes and res), but while dove hunting the desert areas, this week, heard very few and saw none. Last year on opening day we flushed 1o coveys, while dove hunting, and saw them darting between us all morning long. This year no water in the stock ponds and desert in very brown. I hope things in CA are better.:)

Back