First broods

quail hound

I know its still early, but spring is just around the corner so I want to know when, where, what species, and estimated number of chicks you guys are seeing. Please update every time you see a new brood whatever it may be quail, chukar, grouse, pheasant what ever. Our local quail are already beginning to pair off so I'm hoping to see my first brood around late March/ early April. Good luck birders.:thumbsup:

P.s. Everybody feel free to post brood sightings not just Californians. If you don't want to give up exact locals just give a general area.

Last edited:
Qh, Quail are still coveyed up here at this time. We have had a couple of fairly rainy weekends, in a row. The rain should start them coupling up soon. I'll keep you informed .:thumbsup: Good thread.:) oh the doves are already at the love game.:D

Man! You guys are on a roll out that way. I'll post broods but were looking into june/july. I did see plenty of wild hens and roosters today on a nice piece of CRP in Woodstock IL. If our spring cooperates this year I think things are looking up for next fall:thumbsup: --1pheas4

Man! You guys are on a roll out that way. I'll post broods but were looking into june/july. I did see plenty of wild hens and roosters today on a nice piece of CRP in Woodstock IL. If our spring cooperates this year I think things are looking up for next fall:thumbsup: --1pheas4

Yeah we get a good head start around here on good years. I may be getting ahead of myself on my prediction, but if we don't get any more "winter" weather I should be pretty close. Last year I saw my first quail brood in early April and saw consistent broods of 8-10 chicks until September 1st when I saw 2 hen quail with golf ball sized chicks. Triple hatch last year for most valley quail! Hoping for the same this year, plus way more carry over birds could make for a great season.

On the flipside we have a lot of snow in the high country so the mountain quail will hatch late and there will be a lot of immature juvies for our early mountain opener.

Where you're located, what are the winters like? I'm assuming your in the mountains? Do you guys see snow at all over there? If so, how much? --1pheas4

I live in the valley my home town is called Madera. Our elevation is about 275 feet so no snow here. The coldest it gets around here is low 20s/ high teens with highs around 40-50 in the winter. I live very close to the mountains where above 5000' we probably recieve around 60-100" or more snow a year. This has been a good winter so far we've got about 12" of rain and our ski resort is riding on about 80" of base witch is a lot for this time of year.

Well the male Gambels are posting up and calling. Fighting and chasing each other looks like love is in the air. The weatherman is calling for a good rain storm monday. I hope he is right, as it is real dry down here. :thumbsup:

Good report Jmac, I hope you guys get some good rain to stimulate the green up and bug production.:10sign:

Btw, I think I under estimated our snowfall, last report said a total of over 400" this year and a base of 100" still at 7000'.:eek: We are getting another storm right now, so more rain and snow.:thumbsup:

Yes Qh,
We have heavy run off great for the lakes and fisherman. Not so good for the Quail. The scaleies and the Mearns are hurting , as you know they are dependent upon good water sources. Run off has nothing to do with these birds. Your area is probably defers. But it's always good to have water around.:thumbsup:

I know what you mean,we need rain for green up and watering holes not gully washers that hit hard and quit fast. Here is a picture of what our storm last night, 2" of rain in 24hrs.:eek:

IMAG0236.jpg

Wow Qh,
You might not need that, but that's what we need in Az. At least an 1" very fast. Flash flood to fill up the catchment. I get your point. Might be getting enough rain to fill up a few. But it's not looking very good right now. The land is so dry here it sucks it right up. We need a frog stangler 2" inches in a big hurry.:)

Ok, I think I understand now.

Does Arizonas game and fish or local conservation agencies do any work installing water guzzlers? We have some great areas that would otherwise be very harsh for gamebirds that have some wonderful populations because of guzzlers. The Mojave desert and the Caliente range are two good examples that hold great quail and chukar populations with help from strategicly placed guzzlers. Even where I live some areas need help with extra water storage.:thumbsup:

Qh, Yes they have installed guzzlers or water catchments, but most all of the catchments, Need flash flood type run offs to store enough water to last long. At least thats what I need in they area I hunt most often. :)

I didn't see any Quail in my travels yesterday, Odd. Maybe because they are nesting? I did see White winged doves for the 1st time this year, they are back. Come on september.:)

Well my first brood sighting happened today. I am working on the west side of Madera county and I saw a pair of quail with about 8 quarter sized fluff balls crossing a dirt road to get to a nice dry creek bed. The bug production seems outstanding and the carry over birds are more than I've ever seen. It's gonna be a great year. I also have seen about 20 pairs on this road I about a 2 mile stretch, its going to be loaded with coveys come October!

Well my first brood sighting happened today. I am working on the west side of Madera county and I saw a pair of quail with about 8 quarter sized fluff balls crossing a dirt road to get to a nice dry creek bed. The bug production seems outstanding and the carry over birds are more than I've ever seen. It's gonna be a great year. I also have seen about 20 pairs on this road I about a 2 mile stretch, its going to be loaded with coveys come October!

Northern and Eastings Please!!!LOL:10sign:

Northern and Eastings Please!!!LOL:10sign:

Haha. I actually meant 10 pairs, 20 birds total, but still impressive. Anyone who can ever make it out here is more than welcome to hunt with me.:thumbsup:

Haha. I actually meant 10 pairs, 20 birds total, but still impressive. Anyone who can ever make it out here is more than welcome to hunt with me.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing QH. I wish the best for those guys out your way. God willing weather will work out and your fall hunting season will be a great one.:cheers:

Here in N. IL the roosters are starting to cackle and claim territories. Weathers getting gloomy and cool again but it's still early yet.:)

That's good news Qh. I'm hoping to see some fluff balls around here soon.:cheers:

Got out Sunday, to a new area, better known for speed goats then Quail. We just road bombed and scouted for any critter that moved. We saw 3 pair of Quail with 3 different sized broods. The 1st pair had golf ball sized chicks and about 15 total. They could not have been two or three days old. The 2nd pair had 6 to 8 and maybe two to three weeks old. The last pair flushed at the side of the road, and 4 or 5 chicks flush and followed mom and dad to better cover. :)

Back