Finger Gets Hammered

koja48,
Thanks for the advice. I have the same problem shooting my Beretta BL3 12ga O/U. I have also tried the bumper guards with no success. I have been shooting Federal WingShok (1500 fps) through it and my next step was going to a lighter load (1200-1330 fps) as I love the gun. I hope that between your mechanics and the lighter load, I will be able to keep the BL3 as my primary bird gun.

If you change to a lighter load it will make a lot of difference. When using my 12 ga. I switched from the Federal PF loads to the Upland 34 loads by Fiocchi at Runnings. Big difference. My 16 ga. SxS is the worse gun I have for smacking my middle finger so I'm even thinking about getting some ligher loads for it. I bought 2 of the rubber bumpers and they don't work for me either. Anyone that wants to try one of the rubber bumpers I'll sell you one cheap.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. We have a Runnings here in town so I'll definitely shoot a box (while practicing the new grip) to see how it feels. What do you shoot for shot size? I usually use 5s and sometime 6s early season.

I also shoot 5's and 6's. 5's in the 12 ga. and 6's in my 16 ga. The Upland 34 loads I bought at Runnings only came in #5 when I bought them. They also have another load made by Fiocchi at around 1,295 fps.

Went to Runnings and got a box of the Fiocchi Dakota Country shells instead of the Upland 34 to try ($8.49 a box of 25). They are #5s with 1 1/4 oz shot, 3 1/4 dram and 1225 fps. Great feel and pattern at 30 yds. Best of all, no middle finger bashing!! Put one in lower chamber and PF Wing-Shok (1500 fps) in upper. Night and day! Nothing over 1330 for me anymore and that will only be in the semi-auto.

Went to Runnings and got a box of the Fiocchi Dakota Country shells instead of the Upland 34 to try ($8.49 a box of 25). They are #5s with 1 1/4 oz shot, 3 1/4 dram and 1225 fps. Great feel and pattern at 30 yds. Best of all, no middle finger bashing!! Put one in lower chamber and PF Wing-Shok (1500 fps) in upper. Night and day! Nothing over 1330 for me anymore and that will only be in the semi-auto.

That's what I'm going to do also. I've found I don't need copper-plated shot at 1,500 fps to make clean kills on pheasants. A lot of guys kill plenty of birds with a 20 ga. with 1 oz. of shot traveling at 1,200 fps. So if I switch to Game Loads in my 16 ga. that's about what I'll have. And in my 12 ga. I'll shoot either the Upland 34's or the Dakota Country shells you bought. Heck, I could even go with 1 1/8 oz. Game Loads in the 12 ga.

DZ You are right, I shoot only a 20 and a 28. In my 20 I reload some 1 ounce shot loads that come out at 1220 FPS. They are made with Longshot Powder, it is a max load. Over Tony they will kill a Phez out to about 40 yards. I like to drop them quick, so 15-25 yards is my normal shot.........Bob

Back