Finger Gets Hammered

Dakotazeb

I have a problem when shooting some of my shotguns. The trigger guard comes back and whacks my middle finger causing some degree of pain. It's actually happened so much over the past years that I now have a hump on that finger. Obviously it's worse with heavy loads. And I have always thought it was mainly due to the fact I have relatively small hands and short fingers. I know they make a bumper that installs on the back side of the trigger guard but I've never tried one. Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution?

I have the same thing happen to me. It hurts like a SOB. Recently I've started taping up my finder with athletic tape. The extra padding has definitely helped.

Are you guys getting bruised by single trigger guns or double trigger guns? Bumper will work, but it's a fit , finish, or design flaw with the gun, and how it relates to you. I have heard this complaint from benelli SBE users. But mostly a double gun issue, involving twist upon recoil, and specific direction of recoil. shimming the stock could help to direct recoil toward the lower shoulder, eliminate twist as well. Much more common with double trigger guns, so much so that the higher end British guns and the like have articulated front triggers which move on a hinge to avoid the bruise.

I know that the Benelli Ultralight is a real finger smacker especially with heavy loads. My dad had bought something a little while back that he put on the back of his trigger guard and he loves what it did. I will ask him what it was that he did and get the word out to the rest of you guys.

I bet your stock is too short. Set the but in your elbow when held at a rt angle and the index finger 1st knuckle should barley clear the trigger or be even with the first bend or knuckle (easily identified by where your very tip bends.) You might know that already and then I have no Idea if it fits well other wise on pull up.

Last edited:
Dang, went hunting today and fired 4 rounds and the trigger guard on my 16 ga. SxS really hammered my middle finger. Think I broke a blood vessel and it hurts like a mother. So I finally broke down and order a couple of the trigger guard rubber bumpers. Sure hope they help.

I'm about 99% sure it's all in my grip but i don't understand why it never bother for 50 years and now just past few years I've got a problem. Guess it's jsut another one of those old age things. :(

It's happening to me with my 870. Honestly, I don't think I'm shouldering the gun properly, and I'm in a hurry when I shoot. Hotter loads I think are also a contributer. I don't have this problem shooting trap.

It's happening to me with my 870. Honestly, I don't think I'm shouldering the gun properly, and I'm in a hurry when I shoot. Hotter loads I think are also a contributer. I don't have this problem shooting trap.

You are probably correct regarding the mounting of the gun although I don't feel this is my problem. I think it has to more with my grip and my small hands. And yes, heavy loads make it worse. Also, in looking at my guns I see that the shape of the trigger guard varies, as does the distance between the trigger and the back of the guard. The greater the distance between the trigger and back of the guard causes the middle finger to be closer to the guard. My 16 ga. SxS with standard 1 1/8 oz. loads is the worse for me to shoot and I will have to put it away the rest of the season to heal my finger. Yesterday I was using the 16 ga. SxS with some Kent Tungsten-Matrix 1 1/4 oz. loads and they really whacked me. I've noticed that when using my 12 ga. Benelli Montefeltro with standard 1 1/4 oz loads (1,330 fps) I dont' have a problem. But put in a Federal PF load at 1,500 fps and I get banged. So for now I'll go to the Monte with lighter loads.

Friggin' finger is really sore today. Almost feels like it's broken! :(

Finger problems...

Hi Zeb,

Have no solution to the finger slam problem, but offer this web site for possible ideas: "SHOTGUN REPORT." This site has a wealth of info about shotguns et al and they will answer your questions and attempt to solve shotgun problems. Might be worth a try.

Jon

I have a problem when shooting some of my shotguns. The trigger guard comes back and whacks my middle finger causing some degree of pain. It's actually happened so much over the past years that I now have a hump on that finger. Obviously it's worse with heavy loads. And I have always thought it was mainly due to the fact I have relatively small hands and short fingers. I know they make a bumper that installs on the back side of the trigger guard but I've never tried one. Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution?

Had same problem with only one shotgun. Tried different things, none worked, so I got rid of the gun.

Last edited:
DZ- maybe take a camera instead of a gun-

I've got a sweet little Beretta AL2 you'd be welcome to try out someday we should meet-

Dang, went hunting today and fired 4 rounds and the trigger guard on my 16 ga. SxS really hammered my middle finger. Think I broke a blood vessel and it hurts like a mother. So I finally broke down and order a couple of the trigger guard rubber bumpers. Sure hope they help.

I'm about 99% sure it's all in my grip but i don't understand why it never bother for 50 years and now just past few years I've got a problem. Guess it's jsut another one of those old age things. :(

I am just the oppisite. Years ago, all with my double trigger Grulla, I was getting beat up. Something changed in my grip or build when I got out of my twenties and no problem. I know how much that hurts!

I bought 2 of the Trigger Guard Rober Bumpers and installed them on my SxS and O/U. Went out yesterday with the SxS and I don't think these bumpers are the answer either. Anyone wanting to buy one or both of these bumpers?

I need to work on changing my grip and of course right now the finger has a bone bruise and any little whack is felt.

I'd have to say that it's trigger mechanics . . . I've been a long-range rifle accuracy fanatic for years. The average person "pulls the trigger" with that portion of the index finger between the middle & tip knuckles, which places your middle finger smack against the back of the trigger guard. Good trigger mechanics mandate that the trigger be "pulled" by the pad of the fingertip only & all that moves is the fingertip. As a result of shooting this way for 50+ years, I grasp the pistol grip of rifles & shotguns well-back & my middle finger is well-away from the rear of the trigger guard. Practice the way you grip your shotgun while carrying it . . . if your middle finger abuts the guard, train yourself to move your grasp rearward & practice actuating the trigger with the pad of your finger tip rather than your whole finger. This has always worked for me and I shoot lots & lots of rounds from a variety of firearms over the course of a year, some of them quite stout . . . guns that kill at one end & maim at the other. Hope this helps.

koja48,
Thanks for the advice. I have the same problem shooting my Beretta BL3 12ga O/U. I have also tried the bumper guards with no success. I have been shooting Federal WingShok (1500 fps) through it and my next step was going to a lighter load (1200-1330 fps) as I love the gun. I hope that between your mechanics and the lighter load, I will be able to keep the BL3 as my primary bird gun.

Back