Finding secret spots that are public land

Bob Peters

I was scouting yesterday morning as well as sunday evening. I noticed when I got home and looking at online maps there's a piece of property that shows as private on the state website, and OnX has the ownership as pheasants forever (to be technical they're prolly the trustee until the land can be transferred to the state and made a public hunting spot). That got me thinking of the status of this land, and if it's huntable by me. I suppose I'll call the Pheasants Forever biologist for the area and inquire. Two seasons ago there was a piece of state ground that held good bird numbers, and was posted with physical signage, but wasn't on any electronic maps that year(it was a newly added piece of state hunting land.) Beyond this I've always heard that you can hunt tax forfeit land, but didn't know the best way to look for it. Any tips on finding spots off the beaten internet path, respond here, or better yet send me a message!

Local county websites often have information about all areas, whereas DNR atlas information for the state doesn't necesarilly include everything. I've found a few "off the beaten path" spots this way.

Local county websites often have information about all areas, whereas DNR atlas information for the state doesn't necesarilly include everything. I've found a few "off the beaten path" spots this way.
Whoa, whoa, whoa fellow Iowan, let's not tell people that the DNR hunting atlas forgot certain public parcels... I've shot many, many birds off one unlisted piece in the past several years.

Hey Cycylone (or anyone else who knows), I've found two pieces of property that are county owned, but they have no other designation that I can find (not state DNR or Federal land). How do you find out if it's legal to hunt there? One spot is open to public to access fishing waters, but no signage mentions hunting. The other I have not laid eyes on, just seen it on a map. I'll most likely drive by it soon and see how it looks.

Hey Cycylone (or anyone else who knows), I've found two pieces of property that are county owned, but they have no other designation that I can find (not state DNR or Federal land). How do you find out if it's legal to hunt there? One spot is open to public to access fishing waters, but no signage mentions hunting. The other I have not laid eyes on, just seen it on a map. I'll most likely drive by it soon and see how it looks.
Call the county conservation office for the best info. There is one by me that is only partially open to hunting and is limited to shotgun only with no posted signage on either rule.

Call the county conservation office for the best info. There is one by me that is only partially open to hunting and is limited to shotgun only with no posted signage on either rule.
Agreed. I've also had cases where it's owned by a local county conservation board, and it's technically open to the public. Best to check with the local CO to confirm. Sometimes if you drive and check out the property, you can tell as well and it may be posted.

Back