FINALLY some GOOD news!

Glad to finally hear something positive regarding Iowa roosters.

I think this is a common theme throughout the Midwest.:):thumbsup:

God forbid a massive shift in weather patterns!!!

Thanks for posting.

after 5 years of being in the doldrums, i don't think the comeback will be dramatic, yes it sounds "better", but you guys know what the breeding population looked like this spring.......from what i have read here, there were very few birds left to carry over.......the NW will probably be best, but so many areas are devoid of CRP, it will take much more than one decent spring to generate a decent comeback, nevertheless, good luck. sounds like G&F is putting some serious spin on this.......i'll take SD.

*ALL* of my contacts are reporting seeing lots of pheasants already. Some have even shared "more than I've ever seen" . . . although that's relative, and likely reflection of how bad recent history has been.

Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to hitting the fields this fall.

Hello Everyone,

Nate it is good to hear from you again. Yes we have had a positive Spring weather-wise. I am proceeding with caution but let's face it anything positive concerning pheasants in Iowa is good news!

Am still around . . . lurking at times, KBell.

This time of year is really busy for my family and me. Kids' sports, coaching, lake house visits, racing season (I run), and workout competitions (Beachbody community). Traveling for work too.

Got to get it all in before fall is upon us!

40% of very little is still very little but an improvement nonetheless. It will take 3-4 years of easy winters and good springs to get Iowa back to where it needs to be. It can be done but will take time and luck. Hope it gets there so I can get back to hunting my old stomping grounds.

Ahhh Nate!

You make me laugh Nate!

I gave up the beachbody when I hit 50. We have our middle son's wedding in September--I said before on here that no family plans anything during the "season"--and I am busy with my field work now.

Have observed one hen with four chicks--partridge size--and one hen with no chicks. I believe hunter94 is correct that we will see a small increase based on what we had left. It is still okay though.

I am glad you are doing well. Keep in shape, the season will be upon us soon. Glad to hear your family is well.:)

Impressed

Hello Nate,

I am impressed with your website. You must be very dedicated to achieve what you have!

I leave my inner peace to having been married for 26 years, raising three college grad sons and life's experiences. I like to think I am like those T.V. commercials where life doesn't throw me curves anymore--handle the ups and downs.

I work out at the college fitness center 3 to 4 days a week. Little weightlifting but much on fitness--elliptical and stationary bike. I am about being fit and healthy. Not interested at this stage of life in gaining muscle.

It is good to see your entire family involved. I believe that is important. I golf regularly with my sons--we'll have to overlook the beer consumption-I can't justify its health additives:)

Trail cams picked up a nice buck overnight. He will be a shooter in the fall-150's if he makes it until then.

In northern Missouri, had two separate reports of quail chicks on the ground in northern Missouri before May 15.

Glad to hear weather is benefitting quail, too. My property is three miles from the border, Iowa side. Had a few trips saved by the quail over the years. Haven't been out to check on new crp planting. Last report was firebreaks foot high, nothing much on NWSG.

I like to think I am like those T.V. commercials where life doesn't throw me curves anymore--handle the ups and downs.

That's one very nice benefit to getting older that I wouldn't trade for anything. With age comes an increase (at least one would hope) in experience, wisdom, knowledge, discernment, etc. Gains in such are what smooths our those tough peeks and valleys in life.

With each @$$-kicking comes a battle plan on how to handle it better the next go-around.

I'm only 38 and always looking forward to the next year. What will be learned and how will I change (hopefully for the better). It's painful and humbling at times, but this to can be channeled into growth:thumbsup:

lol.....Should I pass the offering tray around now.:D

"The past is history, the future is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present."

Hey Master Oogway,

Do you run fall marathons or do you keep your racing to the spring-summer?

I have a hard time fitting in high mileage running and hunting.....one always seems to suffer.

-john

Do you run fall marathons or do you keep your racing to the spring-summer?

I have a hard time fitting in high mileage running and hunting.....one always seems to suffer.
I hear you on the difficultly in keeping up with running (or exercising, really) in the fall. I manage to do it, yes, though.

I run . . . and now workout each morning in my basement . . . throughout the year. Every morning I workout, and manage a run a couple times per week. That's how I trained, and set a PR, for Dam to Dam.

I'll race the Des Moines Marathon (or Half) this October too.

Howdy,

Good to hear some good news.....even if only a modest gain.
I feel for you guys and your current plight. Just a few years ago.....Iowa rivaled SD in #'s of bird harvested.....

I do have a question please. Even if Iowa received several years of good weather.....how can the phez numbers rebound to the 1,000,000 harvest totals. As the state has lost much of the quality CRP and clean farming is so common.....I mean fence row to fence row plowing! Drive across Iowa and up around Ames.....and you will see what I'm talking about.

So.....unless more ground is put back into habitat.....how can the birds rebound?

I live in Kentucky.....originally from Nebraska, I grew up on the prairie in the 70's and 80's......

Hunted Nebraska and Iowa before CRP and during the late 80's......lots of birds.

Back