FINALLY some GOOD news!

I do have a question please. Even if Iowa received several years of good weather.....how can the phez numbers rebound to the 1,000,000 harvest totals. As the state has lost much of the quality CRP and clean farming is so common.....I mean fence row to fence row plowing! Drive across Iowa and up around Ames.....and you will see what I'm talking about.

They can't. A 1 million pheasant harvest in Iowa is a thing of the past for now. But where there remains good habitat bird #'s could rebound to where they where in the past. This is how it is for us in Illinois. I have areas where pheasants have the habitat needed to do well. Indeed they do when they are able to nest successfully. Something we haven't seen in 3 years (Iowa too)

Last edited:
Howdy,

Good to hear some good news.....even if only a modest gain.
I feel for you guys and your current plight. Just a few years ago.....Iowa rivaled SD in #'s of bird harvested.....

I do have a question please. Even if Iowa received several years of good weather.....how can the phez numbers rebound to the 1,000,000 harvest totals. As the state has lost much of the quality CRP and clean farming is so common.....I mean fence row to fence row plowing! Drive across Iowa and up around Ames.....and you will see what I'm talking about.

So.....unless more ground is put back into habitat.....how can the birds rebound?

I live in Kentucky.....originally from Nebraska, I grew up on the prairie in the 70's and 80's......

Hunted Nebraska and Iowa before CRP and during the late 80's......lots of birds.

that's the sad part high brass, without CRP or any set aside, any rebound will be temporary and unsustainable. i too grew up in Nebraska and hunted there and in Iowa many years ago. except for isolated areas of habitat, in many areas there is nothing left for habitat........pheasant hunting as we knew it and appreciated it is gone forever...preserve hunting will soon be the only game in town.

I agree with the posts above in regards to increased rebounding difficulties specific to declining CRP tracks.

This said, we've still A LOT of good cover that can more than sustain very respectable pheasant numbers. Maybe not 1MM, but . . .

This favorable weather pattern is going to make for a MUCH better fall harvest this year.

I think the article is spot on and Iowa will continue to get its share of land available for CRP signup. Iowa needs to catch a break from the weather for a few years and the population will rebound significantly. I can't wait for the cycle to turn back towards acres set aside from production due to low commodity prices. It will happen, just not fast enough for us bird hunters.

I had a job north of mount pleasant last week that was out in the country. It was hard to focus on work there were so many quail calling from all directions! The game bird populations aren't looking too bad around here this year. I am expecting a much better season than last year.

I am pumped!

Quail....

Cockerfan,
That's is good news indeed....about the birds calling. It really warms the soul to hear that Bob White call.

I have been hearing many quail calling in KY this spring/summer.
Actually heard several back in March......due to the early spring.

Best of luck to you this coming fall and I hope you get into some nice coveys!

Cover....

Nate,

Thank you for the update and I am pleased that there is good habitat available for phez production and good hunting.

Maybe we can meet up some day and chase birds.

Reed

Back