Finally, Seasons Here II

pheasantaddict

Another sleepless night, as we bird hunters await 8:00 AM tomorrow. Wishing Good Luck, Good Times, and Good Shooting to those pursing Iowa's ringnecks.

Season does not start until 10 am for me. Thats because I'll be in SD and even then I will probably be harvesting all day. Let us know what it is like to live in a county that actually has cover.

No SD,ND,KS or MN, but was surprised by the birds that we seen today. I got my 2 bird limit and let the boys do the rest of the shooting. Great Day and the labs are wore out and will unleash the pointer tomorrow.

I was also surprised at the numbers that were seen today. Went out with 5 guys and 2 dogs at 8 sharp, and all had our limits by 9:30. All in all saw over 75 birds in a one mile stretch!

Bird munbers were good:thumbsup: I was letting kids and the guys that don't get to hunt much do the early shooting did get 2. I think we got 28 total 12 hunting to many dogs thats for sure. We missed alot:eek: Never even hunted the corn I left save it for later.

On my way to the promised land I saw 3 guys and one fat lab walking a mowed grass waterway. That's how bad the habitat is here.

I'm a fat boy with a skinny lab, so it wasn't me. Anyway two of us got 5 birds all within a few miles of Sioux Center by 10:30. Heard very little shooting for the morning of the opener.

Last edited:
Not much traffic around here either, but kind of nice. I remember the days when a group would start walking a field as another group was finishing the field. I got my two today and one of the boys limited out. Having a pointer helped him out a little. My DK also got a racoon and skunk, he was having a ball today. I called him of both but the damage was done. Them Germans like to hunt everything. Seeing birds but might have to make a trip to the promised land.

Deutsch Kurzhaar ( German Shorthair Pointer) bred to German Standards. Like the difference between Deutsch Drahthaar and German Wirehaired Pointer.

I'm a fat boy with a skinny lab, so it wasn't me. Anyway two of us got 5 birds all within a few miles of Sioux Center by 10:30. Heard very little shooting for the morning of the opener.

I wish I could find an old farmer and con him into letting me hunt his land and shoot his birds for him.

Bird munbers were good:thumbsup: I was letting kids and the guys that don't get to hunt much do the early shooting did get 2. I think we got 28 total 12 hunting to many dogs thats for sure. We missed alot:eek: Never even hunted the corn I left save it for later.

had a great time sat. our group did well. i'm glad i drove myself to farm. no dogs other than clyde in my truck. VERY good rule to have we had 2 dogs that pointed a skunk. they lost. glad they didnt ride with me.:D had our annual feast cooked up 9 racks of ribs,1 salmon fillet,sauted portabela mushrooms,and potatoes. yum yum:):) hopefully photos to follow this

when I was a college kid, my friends and I hunted Iowa several times a year, stayed in the basement of an old Scandanavian Farmer, who had land all over, and consequently pheasants in those days. I remember the first time we met, ask if we could hunt pheasants, his response was, "you boys want to hunt pheasants?", well shoot em all if you can! Seems his memory of pheasants was shooting and eating them during the depression, while they ate scratch and fought with the chickens in the barnyard. Said if he never ate or saw another pheasant, it would be to soon. We need more like him!

Back