Field Trials

rjbert2

Where are the best places to find Field Trials in the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois....Tri-State area. I'd like to watch a few and maybe learn a few things. I would be a great thing for the kids to watch.

It's hard to beat watching good dogs working as they should.

Any help would be great.

Years ago my Dad used to train coon hounds and guard dogs. He would attend field trials with the coon hounds.

I've seen these bird dog trials mentioned on the different forums. I would like to see a few of them. It's obvious I don't know much about them. I'm sure interested though and would like to see one.

I want to keep my son and my nephews interested in the hunting and everything that goes with it.

I greatly appreciate your advice and direction.

Ric

It would depend on breed, & what type of trial. Actual akc field champion trials etc.

Correct. I should have stated that the NSTRA trials are for pointing breeds only.

Try the AKC or your local dog club

Go to the AKC website and look under events. Most field trials in IL are at Des Plaines CA, in Wisconsin at Pine Island near Portage or Ottawa Field Trial grounds in Kettle Moraine South. Most dog clubs host a fall or spring Field trial. Many trials are horseback, some are walking. I would suggest joining your local dog club and asking or volunteering to help. Almost all have web sites, just put in the breed and the state on Google and you will find them, or look on the AKC site. Hunt tests also put on by the dog clubs might be better to watch, especially for the Master Hunter class, and they often have a gallery tent, just bring an orange hat and vest. June July and August are usually off months though due to the heat.

:DLOL. well hounds were not field trials, but rather Night Hunts. UKC. I ran them my self. Might know your people I'm sure. What breed of dog do you have.? There is so many venues you can entertain now, As Zeb said. Actual AKC field trials, HRC hunt tests, AKC hunt tests, BDC, NSTRA, NAVHDA (? spelling), and so on. The only true field trial is an AKC licensed field trial. Which is what you see on a dogs papers as an FC, AFC, NFC, CNFC, CFC,(Canada) and so on. Other venues are considered field trials as a general term. But to have a field champion, it would have to be an AKC sanctioned event. If you look into the AKC website as said you can find all the info you need. These other circuits have there own websites. The Bird Dog Hall Of Fame is another place to look into for info on AKC field trials. If you are more specific on breed and goals, we can certainly point you where you need to go,( Breed Parent clubs) & even training groups in your area.:thumbsup:

I have been to many trials and they are fun to watch. However to see the dogs run you have to be on a horse and be part of the gallery. If you could find a high vantage point and use binoculars that would work. These dogs cover a great deal of ground and move pretty fast. I hope this helps

Julius

I would second Zeb's recommendation to check out NSTRA field trials. They are pretty close to most folks bird hunting experience - a hunter walking behind a dog that finds, points, and retrieves gamebirds. The fields are small enough that you can often watch the trial from a gallery or ride along with the judges. Below are links to the web pages listing upcoming NSTRA trials in IA, WI, and northern IL.

http://www.nstra.org/midwest.htm

http://www.nstra.org/wisconsi.htm

http://www.nstra.org/wisconsi.htm

I'm a bird hunter and have gotten involved in NSTRA because it increases my opportunities to get out in the field with my Brittanys. We get a placement occasionally, but its really about getting out in the field and working birds with my dogs! NSTRA trails are open to all register-able pointing breeds.

JLMyers

http://www.entryexpress.net/

Check this site...allows you to search events by type or event, state, etc. The event premium will give directions to event, etc.

You should have a lot of events to choose from in the midwest.

Go have some fun!

Thanks for the great ideas, leads and advise. This site has never ceased to amaze me with the wealth of information available. Thanks to everyone.

My newest bird dog is the little GSP in my avatar picture with my son and nephew. I have a great old and now retired Brittany also.

I to think it's very important to keep these dogs as busy with birds as often as possible.

Regarding the "Night Hunts" with my Dad when I was a young boy, you are correct. I couldn't remember all the details, other than as a 12 year old it was fun and sometimes scary as a very young fella. An experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

The club I belong to is the home of NSTRA. http://www.amocbdc.com/Conservation_Bird_Dog_Club/Welcome.html
I don't run the trials but use the club as a good place to run my dogs and get them work off season since I live in the burbs.

At our club we have viewing stands erected so that specators can watch the action. Each field is 30-40ac so it isn't too far usually to watch without binos although they would help sometimes.

I would look up places that NSTRA runs trials and go to them. I've seen some fantastic dogs as we hold the NSTRA Dog of the Year trial where people come from all over the country with some of the best dogs you've ever seen.

Great fun and a good place to learn from some really expereinced trainers.

I have been to many trials and they are fun to watch. However to see the dogs run you have to be on a horse and be part of the gallery. If you could find a high vantage point and use binoculars that would work. These dogs cover a great deal of ground and move pretty fast. I hope this helps

Julius

Yep! I'm with ya :)

The club I belong to is the home of NSTRA. http://www.amocbdc.com/Conservation_Bird_Dog_Club/Welcome.html
I don't run the trials but use the club as a good place to run my dogs and get them work off season since I live in the burbs.

At our club we have viewing stands erected so that specators can watch the action. Each field is 30-40ac so it isn't too far usually to watch without binos although they would help sometimes.

I would look up places that NSTRA runs trials and go to them. I've seen some fantastic dogs as we hold the NSTRA Dog of the Year trial where people come from all over the country with some of the best dogs you've ever seen.

Great fun and a good place to learn from some really expereinced trainers.

Great looking place. Wish we had something like that in this region. Myabe if my dog gets some placements I'll have to make a trip down there.

You made a good point about the NSTRA trials. They are run on 30-40 acre fields and most of the time spectators can view the trials from the gallery area.

Depends on the type of field trials you are looking for. Pointing dog field trials AKC / AF are held in a number of locations in the upper midwest.
Solon Springs, Wisc., Portage, Wisc. (Pine Island). Bong State Rec. area by Kansasville, Wi. and Kettle Moraine South Unit by Eagle Wisc. These areas all conduct pointing dog Field Trials. I compete with Brittany's and have for 25 years. The sport can be addictive.

UFTA hunts are starting to get popular. Main thing is the dogs performance and not so much on style. Takes a lot away from the judge who may like a certain style of animal. Everything is based on point, shot and retrieve.
Singles and doubles in the pointing dogs. They also have a flushing clubs.
I am going to hold a few UFTA hunts this fall/winter on my farm and will let you know how it goes.:thumbsup:

Back