Field lunches, camp meals, trip dinners

We used to hit a taco truck near the Grand Coulee damn, “Street Tacos” after a bird hunt were awesome. I’ve yet to see a “authentic” street taco vender in the Dakotas or MT near our bird hunting adventures. We (my dog and I) now hit Taco Johns, there is nothing authentic about it but it sure is good. Potato’s ole, get out of town.

Used to hit a taco truck in Basin City, WA. Very good. It was a little sketchy, but when in WA the taco trucks are a must.

"Eat more chicken" ushualy the possession limit catches up to you if you hunt more than three days. Deep fried pheasant fingers and "chicken " salad sandwiches make birds "disappear" dinners are pheasant as well. It's hard to eat more than one or two pheasant a day but it can be done.

We used to hit a taco truck near the Grand Coulee damn, “Street Tacos” after a bird hunt were awesome. I’ve yet to see a “authentic” street taco vender in the Dakotas or MT near our bird hunting adventures. We (my dog and I) now hit Taco Johns, there is nothing authentic about it but it sure is good. Potato’s ole, get out of town.

One of the main perks of California hunting, lots of high quality taco shops.

View attachment 7676

I wish you all and your dogs a safe and wonderful bird season ... as I hunt local I always take a thermos of coffee and a ham and brie sandwich ... I have never tried tacos ... whichever the dog is, they get half of the sandwich ... this season just gone a friend and I spent a wonderful day up the river ... it was a cold evening when we got back to our respective vehicles ... we concluded the day with a drahm of MacCullums beautiful whiskey ... the icing on the cake, so to speak ... !!

One of the main perks of California hunting, lots of high quality taco shops.

View attachment 7676
Those tacos look awesome..

If I go by a McDonalds on my way home I will buy plain hamburgers and split them between the girls. I don't eat McDonalds myself but my dogs think it's a super treat.

AM

Great thread...

With the Group Hunt in SD, we split dinner chores between us; 2 guys get nominated for a specific night, and whatever they want to cook is on the menu...one of the guys makes an awesome pork tenderloin, so he is supposed to get to the hunt house early on Friday to get that going! Another one of the guys makes a killer breakfast so he gets breakfast duty all 3 (or 4) days...lunches are in the field, and usually consist of how fast can you make/eat a sammich and lets get going again (lol)...

When I'm hunting alone, it just depends...breakfast could be bacon-eggs on the Coleman in the motel parking lot or donuts from the local gas station...lunch is still a fast sammich...and dinner at the local cafe/diner/bar or fire up the Coleman again to heat whatever I pre-cooked from home (chili, pulled pork, whatever)...

Now you’re speaking my language.

Whenever I go hunting, I always prepare my own food to not only know I’m eating healthier, it agrees with me, and I save a boatload of money (means more when both my boys come with me).

I won’t go into detail about my western mountain hunts, as those are a different breed of meals, but just this past December on a 5 day pheasant hunt in SD, I brought along a 12”x12” electric skillet.

The meals my oldest son and I prepared for breakfast were eggs, homemade bacon, homemade breakfast sausage, prepackaged hashbrown patties, coffee and hot chocolate for him.

Lunches were a mix of snack foods (chips, crackers, smoked sausage cheese) with an occasional Samich thrown in for good measure.

Dinners were all prepared in the 12”x12” electric skillet the same as breakfast, only all the meals were precooked at home and packed individually then frozen. All we had to do was allow the meal to thaw and then warm up in the skillet, which in my eyes is so much healthier and better tasting than the microwave.

We ate lasagna, bratwurst, chicken fried rice, Smoked “Fatty” (google that, you will forever thank me), bison burgers, along with instant mashed potatoes and some frozen veggies.

Every night, we would head down to the lobby of the hotel and start the cooking/eating just so we didn’t have to spend so much time in the room. And just like clockwork, some of the employees and goose hunters would come strolling in to see what was going on and also what smelled so good. My son started calling them “Bird Dogs”. HA!!

Our group stayed for years in an old house in Canada with no electricity. Had a wood range in the kitchen & tin woodburner in the living area. Ate almost exclusively fried food till we discovered cast iron dutch ovens. After that nothing was off limits including prime rib. REALLY GOOD .

Our group stayed for years in an old house in Canada with no electricity. Had a wood range in the kitchen & tin woodburner in the living area. Ate almost exclusively fried food till we discovered cast iron dutch ovens. After that nothing was off limits including prime rib. REALLY GOOD .

Dutch oven meals are fantastic. When we used to camp I would start something at lunch and when we got back from mountain biking or kayaking our meal was ready and only one cooking vessel to clean. Jambalaya, hobo meals, chicken and veggies, beef stew, we never had a bad meal. I have several sizes and I would whip up some apple crisp or peach cobbler before we left and put it in a cooler. When we got back I would fire up some more coals and when we were done with dinner, we had desert. I miss those days!

Grouse hunting in N. MN. or Phez hunting in South Dakota... lunch afield is usually cheese, summer sausage, a good bread, trail mix or nuts, water or juice. Evening meal is either eat out or grill at base.
Last trip to SoDak I grilled steak, baked sweet potatoes (in foil on grill mixed with onions & mushrooms), & would heat either green beans, peas etc in the can or have a salad out of a bag.
Portable grill on tailgate. I hunt too late in the day so I end up grilling by flashlight but I didn't burn or undercook anything. I haven't poisoned myself yet!

I hunt too late in the day so I end up grilling by flashlight but I didn't burn or undercook anything. I haven't poisoned myself yet!

https://www.frys.com/product/9239629

Clips on your hat bill. Lights up where you look. VERY bright, 200 lumens. Works Great! Ten bucks, cheap.

I ordered 3, one each me and the boys. Free shipping on that deal.

I like to take lunchables for lunch. Nice light lunch that allows you to have some food and not get too full. Still able to walk without a bloated stomach

Back