Field Dress Pheasants

webguy

UPH Owner/Founder
Staff member
Guys,

I'm putting together an article on field dressing pheasants. I need your input as everyone has their own style and I'd like a variety of styles for the article. As far as what to do, just do a step by step (1., 2., 3., etc.). If I don't get any input, I'll just put a few of my favorite styles. My favorite cleaning techniques came from a fellow South Dakotan & a hunter from Nebraska.

If you want to remain anonymous, send me a PM or just reply to this post. Thanks.

Ryan

I'm sure you already know this one, but I stand on the wings very close to the body with the head facing away from me. I then pull up on the legs forcefully, but at a steady even pressure. This will breast the bird, taking everything with the legs, including the insides, leaving only the breast. There is virtually no cleaning to do, just rinse the breast and bag it. I also think it makes it easier to cut the legs off as well, if you choose to keep them. It's quick, simple, and no mess.

Good Hunting!

Paul

This is the way I've always cleaned Pheasant.
Cut the wings off at the first joint and the head and neck.
Cut 1 leg off at the joint, the other is cut around so the skin will pull off easily.
Cut a slit in the skin at the breast.
Then just pull off the skin.
Make a cut around the lower part of the breast and pull the insides out.
Trim around the neck area and rear.
Rinse in clean water.
I leave a wing where required.
This will take only a couple minutes.
Being I most of the time use the whole bird this works good. And I always clean the birds in the field after the days hunt.

mnmt

I usually like to keep the thighs and not just the breast meat. For that reason, I'll remove the head, wings, tail and one foot (leaving one foot for identification). Skin the bird. Using a hunting shears, I cut down each side of the neck/backbone the full length of the bird. Pull the bone out along with all the entrails. Makes for a pretty clean carcus and easy to rinse.

If I clean a bird at home, I skin the feathers back around the breast and legs. Then filet the meat off the bones. Then the rest of the bird is disposed of intact.

I'm right there with Dewey. Thanks for saving me the typing Dewey!

I'll make a bolder statement in that I think throwing away the legs and meat borders on wanton waste. The meat around the thigh is just as good as breast and there is plenty of it.

I'm sure you already know this one, but I stand on the wings very close to the body with the head facing away from me. I then pull up on the legs forcefully, but at a steady even pressure. This will breast the bird, taking everything with the legs, including the insides, leaving only the breast. There is virtually no cleaning to do, just rinse the breast and bag it. I also think it makes it easier to cut the legs off as well, if you choose to keep them. It's quick, simple, and no mess.

Good Hunting!

Paul

Have used this method the last 3 years or so works wonderful, does leave the wings on the bird for proper identification. Legs and thighs then can be cut and saved. A lot quicker and cleaner.

Dave

I also use the stand on wings and pull method. You can still keep the thigh/let meat, but I do it at home so I don't have to worry about keeping a wing and or foot to ID. If I was traveling a long way, or staying somewhere over night, I'd do it the "old fashioned" way and skin the bird leaving a wing/leg.
Note that this fast pulling when standing on the wings method is very ineffective if your shot breaks a wing or leg.

I also cut the wings, head, tail and one leg off, leaving one leg for ID.
Next, I just grab some skin in each hand on either side of the breast, and pull (no knife needed), so you don't have to worry about cutting the breast.
Just pull all the skin off, feathers included.
Then, I grab in one hand where the tailbone, and the other right up under the breast and pull in opposite directions, opening up the cavity. Most everything can be scooped/pulled out with one motion.
Rinse under some water, put in a ziplock bag, and I'm done.

I hope my original post didn't lead anyone to believe that I waste the leg meat with this cleaning method. What I was trying to say was, to skin and gut the body of the bird takes roughly 10 seconds with this method. In addition, If you choose to save the legs, it is easier to do it with this method as the legs are already removed, and all you have to do is run a knife under the skin and pull the skin straight off the leg. I too think it is a waste, if you don't use the whole bird. I then use the feathers to tie flies all winter for next flyfishing season. I think if you try this method you will not go back to the traditional "cut and scoop" method. It takes about a third of the time to clean a pheasant this way.

Cheers! and good hunting!

Phird,

no offense but you have to keep in mind that for legal transport the bird has to be intact with either 1 leg, wing, or head on.

The wing method doesn't work for legal transport inless you discard the legs.

That's my understanding.

Great info

Thanks for all the tips on cleaning pheasants. Great thread.

My way is a little different than others. Take wings off and 1 leg (we use a pvc tubing cutter really saves the knife blade), pull skin off. Lay the bird breast down. Take and split the back open from the neck down. You can open the whole bird up and scoop everything out. Then if available you can wash then at a hydrant and wash them out. Works well for keeping breast intact.
When i take them out at home after the trip then i can either breast them out or use the whole bird.

Phird,

no offense but you have to keep in mind that for legal transport the bird has to be intact with either 1 leg, wing, or head on.

The wing method doesn't work for legal transport inless you discard the legs.

That's my understanding.

WhatUtalkinbout2.jpg

Hey Chris, I've been using Phird's quick-clean method for years. Why would it matter as long as the number of rooster legs (with attached feet) in your possession isn't more than twice the number of breasted roosters (with attached wing)? Thanks compadre!

Last edited:
How ever you dress them out I started filleting the breast meat off the bone and then marinate it over night and throw it on the grill. Unbelievably good!

I know this is an old thread but the way I clean birds wasn't mentioned so I thought I'd add in case anyone wants to try it.

First of all I've tried the other versions listed at one time or another but to me this is the easiest/neatest way to clean once I get home.

I hung a small noose off my garage door track so that I can hang the bird by the neck at about shoulder level. I put a garbage can with liner underneath the bird and start off snipping off the feet and wings at the shoulder joint. drop them in the can.

Next make a light slit around th neck and pull the skin off and drop straight into the can. Good steady work and you can keep feathers flying to a minimum.

Next snap back the leg/thigh to expose the hip joing and cut off the thighs.

I make a slit under the little shoulder blade along the sides of the spine because there is a little nugget of meat there than I like. Then spin the bird around and stick a finger at the hole at the top of the breats is and firmly pull straight down. The entire breast should come off without the guts.

Un-noose the head/guts/tail and drop into the garbage can and grab the next cackle bird. It's sort of a variation on the stand on the wing method but I find it leaves less mess and Mrs ATM is happier.

The standing on the wings method, for me, is really inconsistent. Sometimes it works like a charm but other times I am left with a torn off leg, innards still attached to the body cavity or the head stuck somewhere in between. A 100% fool-proof method:

Lay the bird on its back
Grab the skin across the breast and rip it open to expose the breast
Pull the skin toward the tail to expose the thigh meat
Poke two fingers into the body cavity just above the collar bone and just below the food sack
Grasp the bottom of the breast with your other hand and pull straight up
The breasts and both wings will come cleanly from the carcass
Take a shears and snip at the "knee" and "hip" to remove the thigh meat

Never had a failed dress with this method and even the most inexperienced hunter can master the technique in no time.

geese- it's field dressing- as in your done for the day and want to preserve the meat- like it's maybe a warm day or you have a long drive

you remove the innards- and cool down as quick as possible- same as anything

no science or searching the internet for how to's and why

Back