Feral cats

You guys are too much. If a man owns some land it is his prerogative to manage it anyway he sees fit. I really don’t think He has any issues with cats being killed on land that is not his, nor do I. My issue is with the callous nature and apparent joy some of you seem to get out of doing it.

Last edited:
I killed 3 muskrats at my cabin last weekend due to their destructive nature along my shoreline. Was it fun? yes. Was it necessary? I think so.
I'll probably get more this weekend. Once in a while I thin the herd if they set up shop on my property. There are hundreds more doing just fine out on the lake. A couple of beavers may have shared the same fate over the years. My red squirrel and chipmunk count is impressive.
People can help balance nature in their own little ecosystems.

Does not relocating feral cats make them someone else's problem?

That being said, I relocate feral cats too.

Some assembly required.
Well they have to cross a lot of highways, dodge coyotes
Well 2.4 Billion birds are killed by feral cats each year. The bad people are the ones that help populate the feral cat population. Those who help eliminate them to protect birds and rabbits are good stewards to nature. Give me your address and I can drop some that I trap by your place. See you!

You guys are too much. If a man owns some land it is his prerogative to manage it anyway he sees fit. I really don’t think He has any issues with cats being killed on land that is not his, nor do I. My issue is with the callous nature and apparent joy some of you seem to get out of doing it.
That's why I relocate them. I take pride every time I catch one. I use pheasant wings hanging from the top of the trap with a couple spoons of tuna. Works like a charm. What makes me sick is the pile of dove feathers I see in my wind break after one of those worthless strays has killed a dove on my property. Or the baby rabbits that have been eaten in half after they raid one of the rabbit dens. When they find a den they kill every one of those week old rabbits. Just sickening to me. I wish I had it in me to just kill them but I don't, so I will do my best to try and steer them away from my property and make it hard on them to ever return. I lived in a town once that would furnish the residents a live trap to catch strays. When you caught one, they would come and get them and take them to the humane society. Wish every town would do that. Then they could spay or neuter them and release them back into the wild or just eliminate them if no home could be found.

Well they have to cross a lot of highways, dodge coyotes

That's why I relocate them. I take pride every time I catch one. I use pheasant wings hanging from the top of the trap with a couple spoons of tuna. Works like a charm. What makes me sick is the pile of dove feathers I see in my wind break after one of those worthless strays has killed a dove on my property. Or the baby rabbits that have been eaten in half after they raid one of the rabbit dens. When they find a den they kill every one of those week old rabbits. Just sickening to me. I wish I had it in me to just kill them but I don't, so I will do my best to try and steer them away from my property and make it hard on them to ever return. I lived in a town once that would furnish the residents a live trap to catch strays. When you caught one, they would come and get them and take them to the humane society. Wish every town would do that. Then they could spay or neuter them and release them back into the wild or just eliminate them if no home could be found.
When you catch in relocate them if you would staple bells to there ears they won't be able to sneak up on anything anymore.

Feral cats are a destructive, invasive species. The National Wildlife Federation is not supportive of their existence:

http://wildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Feral-Cats.pdf

“As a wildlife conservation organization, the National Wildlife Federation doesn’t support Trap, Neuter, Release/Return programs simply because they don’t work to minimize the negative impact of feral cats on wildlife populations. Feral cats are primarily responsible for the 1.3-4 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals killed annually by domesticated cats in the United States and perpetuating feral cat colonies is incompatible with sound, science-based wildlife conservation.”

It seems to me that shooting feral cats in a wildlife area is compatible with sound, science-based wildlife conservation.

It is not much different than shooting feral pigs, which are also a destructive, invasive species.

2.4 Billion birds killed by the feral cats each year....glad that isn't my job to keep the count each year....that guy should add the birds the domestic cats kill...I would guess that might double the number...better get him a pay raise. Was 2.4 billion in Kansas, the US, north america or worldwide?

It might be advisable to keep our opinions to ourselves when out and about. If I knew a person shot whatever they ran across that they didn’t appreciate being there they wouldn’t hunt with me or on my property.

I had a fellow unload on a coyote when hunting on my land, he won’t be invited back.

Feral cats don’t seem to be problem around here since coyotes have become more common.

Our mother cats bring their kills back to the litters they raise by the house, I seldom see a bird, nearly all rodents. I do shoot stray tom cats that come around. More of a birth control thing than anything.

It might be advisable to keep our opinions to ourselves when out and about. If I knew a person shot whatever they ran across that they didn’t appreciate being there they wouldn’t hunt with me or on my property.

I had a fellow unload on a coyote when hunting on my land, he won’t be invited back.

Feral cats don’t seem to be problem around here since coyotes have become more common.

Our mother cats bring their kills back to the litters they raise by the house, I seldom see a bird, nearly all rodents. I do shoot stray tom cats that come around. More of a birth control thing than anything.
Major difference between a stray cat and a feral cat! But no difference between a cat running at large, be it stray or feral, on someone's property.

Your land, your rules. Absolutely supportive of that.

My experience on prey varies from yours. It may be prey abundance, time of year or that certain cats or groups of cats have different skill sets. I know that primary place I see cats hanging around are shrubs where birds are a lot more abundant than rodents.

Your land, your rules. Absolutely supportive of that.

My experience on prey varies from yours. It may be prey abundance, time of year or that certain cats or groups of cats have different skill sets. I know that primary place I see cats hanging around are shrubs where birds are a lot more abundant than rodents.
I see that also, their success rate from what I’ve seen isn’t that great. That said, I have no doubt cats take a lot of song birds. My objection is just willy-nilly shooting what a person doesn‘t like.

It sounds like 2.4 Billion birds agree with you. Can't be many birds left in Kansas, keep shooting cats and mayube the populations will come back eventually.

Are you seriously equating pheasants with an animal that kills billions of songbirds per year?

No, I'm just saying that using the non-native invasive species point about cats is a weak argument. Cats were here long before the pheasants were introduced.

Back