fell through the ice

Good thread. I have fallen through many times while hunting cattails. Fortunately, most times it has been very shallow. The worst year, it snowed significantly then got very cold (below zero for weeks). Logic suggested good ice but the snow insulated it and there were bad spots everywhere. If you are going to hunt in chest waders you should find a swimming pool or pond (in summer) and jump in with them on. They will not drag you to the bottom (water inside and out weighs the same) and some air is always trapped in them. Having screwdrivers or ice pick in your pocket to help get out could be a life saver. Even if you never plan to go on the ice, what is your plan if your dog falls through or your hunting partner?

20 Years or so ago I had a serious issue in SD. I was hunting with a buddy In some cattails on a second trip in December. Water had been high when the freeze came but obviously had receeded some by the time we were hunting. What was left was 3 or 4 inches of ice and a void of about 2 feet before you got to the open water. We were at opposite ends of this waterway maybe a 1/4 mile apart. I had just shot a rooster and the dog was bringing it back through the open area. I had seen a couple birds jump accross and thought it was safe. About 10 or 12 feet out i went through. The water was only up to my waistline or so, but the ice was up under my arms. What an awful feeling. I tried to pull myself up and tried to break the ice with no luck. I was there hollering and firing up in the air for probably 20 minutes before my buddy got to me and was able to help me out. I don't know what happens if I am by myself. We had about a 1/2 mile or so back to the truck. It was only 6 or 8 degrees with wind. By the time I got there I was hypothermic with pants of ice. Felt pretty lucky that day. I am not a small man and there is little ice I trust.

Good thread. I have fallen through many times while hunting cattails. Fortunately, most times it has been very shallow. The worst year, it snowed significantly then got very cold (below zero for weeks). Logic suggested good ice but the snow insulated it and there were bad spots everywhere. If you are going to hunt in chest waders you should find a swimming pool or pond (in summer) and jump in with them on. They will not drag you to the bottom (water inside and out weighs the same) and some air is always trapped in them. Having screwdrivers or ice pick in your pocket to help get out could be a life saver. Even if you never plan to go on the ice, what is your plan if your dog falls through or your hunting partner?
The time I fell through on that river in January, now that was scary! Water over my head.Ive gone in to save my dog before .Our boat capsized on the Yellowstone while goose hunting in January.

I think it all boils down to “risk and reward” in which the value of shooting a bird is different for everyone. Some will risk everything for a chance to put a bird in the vest. Others will walk away and say there will be another day to put one in the vest.
I had a situation recently where I could have gotten several birds, if I wanted to risk my life.I walked away from it.It just isnt worth it.Ice is dangerous. Everyone be careful.

Dang fellas, be careful and be smart. I love pheasant hunting as much as anyone, but ice scares me, especially in COLD temps and that seems to be when you find ice. It might be the cold (water) that scares me more than the actual ice...had a bad experience as a teenager, that was about the death of me, in a stalled vehicle, 50mph winds, snow and sub zero temps. That was almost 40 years ago and still I can't talk about that day without tearing-up, we did have God taking care of us that day (and everyday). A little frost bite on my toes was about it. It changed my outlook on extreme winter conditions. On top of everything else, never was a strong swimmer...mid 50's now, couldn't swim 50 yards in cold water and clothed to save my life. Need to pull on a sweatshirt just talking and reading about this subject.
Yeah, ill never forget that day I fell through on that river.Luckily there was no current. The snow was deep. The water was over my head. I think there was a beaver dam.Im lucky to be alive.Goose hunting on water is dangerous!!

Made me nervous hunting that stuff in south dakota. Was afraid one would end up on the open ice and it'd be hell to get the dog stopped
That has always been my concern. One year while working a ice covered pond with cattails around the perimeter, a rooster flush from the cattails and flew over the ice covered pond. I waited for the bird to clear the pond before dropping the bird. I never thought about my dog crossing the pond to pursue the down bird. Pure stupidity on my part. I held my breath the entire time praying that he would not break through the ice. I thought about shouting the whoa command. But, I was afraid that the force of him "putting on his brakes" would cause the ice to give way. Every since that moment, I avoid areas with ponds and "pot holes" that have ice cover.

That has always been my concern. One year while working a ice covered pond with cattails around the perimeter, a rooster flush from the cattails and flew over the ice covered pond. I waited for the bird to clear the pond before dropping the bird. I never thought about my dog crossing the pond to pursue the down bird. Pure stupidity on my part. I held my breath the entire time praying that he would not break through the ice. I thought about shouting the whoa command. But, I was afraid that the force of him "putting on his brakes" would cause the ice to give way. Every since that moment, I avoid areas with ponds and "pot holes" that have ice cover.
I had one land on the edge of the ice in front of me this fall . He was pretty easy to get to so I went ahead and took the dog in to flush him hoping he would fly the right way. He didn't but the angle was ok so I went ahead snap shot at him knowing I'd most likely blow him or I'd miss. Which I missed and stopped her before she laid chase so I would have been able to get her stopped had something went wrong, but it was kind of tight . I don't think I'd do it again

I had one land on the edge of the ice in front of me this fall . He was pretty easy to get to so I went ahead and took the dog in to flush him hoping he would fly the right way. He didn't but the angle was ok so I went ahead snap shot at him knowing I'd most likely blow him or I'd miss. Which I missed and stopped her before she laid chase so I would have been able to get her stopped had something went wrong, but it was kind of tight . I don't think I'd do it again
That happened to me last year.I was hunting cattails next to a big pond.It was warm out,and the ice looked thin.This thing was deep, and dangerous. 2 roosters flushed by my dog, and flew out over the ice.I didn't shoot thank God. You have to be cognizant of your surroundings at all times!! I had another bird flush on a crick that was icy and fast moving. My dog would have crossed that, had I shot, and it was sketchy. I fell into a ravine one time when I wasn't paying attention. It was a deep cut in a Coulee. I was lucky to survive that.

Back