Feeding Schedule

Dakotazeb

This has probably been discussed on this site before but since I recently switched my feeding schedule from twice a day to once a day, in the evening, I thought I'd see what everyone else is doing.

Here is why I switched to once a day.
First, in talking with my breeder/trainer he firmly believes in feeding once a day. And from the condition of his dogs I'd have to say it works. He works his dogs hard and they run NSTRA trials. I saw them run at the NSTRA championship trial in Waverly, NE. The temp was in the mid 80's and humid. Those dogs ran hard for the full 30 minutes. He feels the dogs run cooler and stay better hydrated on an empty stomach.
Second, I was recently visiting with my vet about my 7 year old female Brittany. I've been having a difficult time keeping weight off her. He said he didn't know why, but from his personal experience it is easier to control the dog's weight when feeding only once a day.

Then I thought back to a Springer I had from 1974 to 1986. At the time I was only feeding her once a day in the evening. That dog would hunt all day and run the legs off any other dog in the field. Never did I give her an snack in the morning or any other time during the day.

Thus I think that if you are feeding a good quality food and the proper amount, that once a day is all you need and your pooch will be just fine. Of course, that just my HO.

Once a day for my crew; usually around 6:00-7:00 pm mainly for the reasons you have listed and because that's when my lab picks his bowl up and starts banging it on the patio door.

This thread brings me the $64 question. With a 6 month old pup that the recommended feeding is 2 times a day. How do I keep the older dog out of the pups food? I will admit I have not been to diligent in keeping Tony out of Gunne's food............Bob

This thread brings me the $64 question. With a 6 month old pup that the recommended feeding is 2 times a day. How do I keep the older dog out of the pups food? I will admit I have not been to diligent in keeping Tony out of Gunne's food............Bob

When I got Elle a year and a half ago I put the bowls down about 10 feet apart and then watched and made sure the older dog stayed out of the pups food. It doesn't take long for the older dog to learn he/she isn't suppose to be in the youngsters bowl. If you only feed Tony once a day I would kennel him when the pup eats. I think it's important to make sure they are each eating their own food so each is getting the proper nutrition.

Thank you George, I do feed them together in the evening. I make sure each one is eating out of their own bowl. 2 minutes later they trade and they go back and forth a few more times before they are done. They are exactly the same but that don't make any difference. I asked my vet he said it was OK to do it that way. He said; that is good as long as Gunne gets a supplement tablet 2 times a day. Which he does.............Bob

Normally I feed in the mornings before I head to work (anywhere from 5am-8am) and feed again about 10-11 hours later.

During the heat of summer, I try to feed early in the morning and feed late after it cools down.

I'd much rather feed 1/2 as much at a time twice a day than feed a large serving only once.

Your trainer is right for those working dogs. You don't want them stuffed during training or competition. It can create a knot in the intestine as well. I wait at least two hours after hard work for food. A kible or two is OK. Mostly empty is best for work. I feed at about 7 pm. Pups get fed in the morning and go outside during the day. That way they can crap up the kennel instead of the crate. If I feed the pups in the eve with the rest, they have the crate craped up during the night. Till they get it figured out thats what I do. Most guy's I know follow your breeders schedule. They also lay around after eve feeding and digest most of the food. If they have much food in them for a trial or training they stop and do there business while being judged, not pretty, or get the loose stools from running. Especially when sprinting and hard charging during competition VS hunting pace.

I am a once a day feeder at night. I read an article on this subject somewhere. Will have to look for it.

I feed once a day at night for the obviouse reason if your dog eats at night then in the winter time there food will help keep them wormer during those long cold nights

I have a question about feeding once compared to twice a day. Do you feed the same amount or do you feed less? I am feeding twice now but from the sounds of this thread, that may be changing. Also do you keep this feeding schedule throughout the year or do you change during hunting seasons?

I have a question about feeding once compared to twice a day. Do you feed the same amount or do you feed less? I am feeding twice now but from the sounds of this thread, that may be changing. Also do you keep this feeding schedule throughout the year or do you change during hunting seasons?

Yes, you feed the same amount. If you were feeding 1 cup twice a day you then feed 2 cups once a day. I would recommend keeping the same feeding schedule throughtout the year. If you are hunting your dog a lot and/or working him/her really hard I would increase the amount of food. Or switch from a regular adult formula to a performance formula with more protein, fat and calories per cup. Every dog is different so you really need to watch your dog to determine the proper amount of feed to keep the dog in top shape.

Back