Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington Ammunition

People who do not prepare but are used to waiting until the last minute to purchase ammunition will be looking for someone to blame rather than taking responsibility.

I would agree in part, most should be wise after the ammo debacle of last fall. Prior to that ... ammo was always available and shelfs were typically full.

How about the new target shooter or hunter or the guy that decides he is finally going to buy that Sweet 16. Good luck on finding 16 ga. shells ... those have been tricky for a couple years now ... especially lead. Father in-law game his dad's old model 12 16ga. I have one box of lead #6s and another box of non-tox. #6s that I paid way too much for. Forget (for now anyways) going out and shooting a round or two of clays with that gun.

Have they said if they are going to produce Remington ammo in the plant again or make it federal ammunition in it now? Both are great ammo in my opinion but it would be sad to loose the old brand.

A good common sense explanation that everyone can understand. Tough situation for all who didn't see this coming, which is most of us, with shotgun shells and most rifle cartridges. Everyone knew handgun, 22LR and 5.56 would be tough to find along with all components, we just saw this 4 years ago...I should be ok for the next 4 years (maybe 10), hope it is not much longer than that! Hang-on fellas, it looks like it will be a bumpy road!!
4 years with no lead shells!!! Damm!!

Have they said if they are going to produce Remington ammo in the plant again or make it federal ammunition in it now? Both are great ammo in my opinion but it would be sad to loose the old brand.
I prefer federal high power, but I also like Remington Express. Both very hard to find in 2020.

I agree, but I have really been liking the Remington Express LR for my 16 and would hate to see them go.

Jason Vanderbrink said in a podcast the other day, that they will keep Remington ammunition pretty much as is. "205 year old company why change it".

Skip to about the 11:10

Last edited:
The last I checked, the money in my account in my bank was mine to use as I see fit. If I want to buy a 1000 rounds of 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP that is my business and prerogative. The same if I want to buy 10,000 rounds of each, it is really no one’s business what I spend my money on. If I would have purchased 10,000 rounds five years ago no one would have said anything but now I’m a hoarder. Would you have purchased in bulk if you found a good deal and had surplus cash? I did and now I’m a hoarder. Fickle world we live in!

The last I checked, the money in my account in my bank was mine to use as I see fit. If I want to buy a 1000 rounds of 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP that is my business and prerogative. The same if I want to buy 10,000 rounds of each, it is really no one’s business what I spend my money on. If I would have purchased 10,000 rounds five years ago no one would have said anything but now I’m a hoarder. Would you have purchased in bulk if you found a good deal and had surplus cash? I did and now I’m a hoarder. Fickle world we live in!
Yeah, that's hoarding.

10,000 rounds, that's it? Should have bought half a million. The zombies are gonna get ya now.

Yeah, that's hoarding.
How many would be permissible? Does the term "hoarding" apply to the entire purchase, or only to that part that one doesn't consume, or intend to consume, in use over the course of the next week, or month, or year? Does it vary based on caliber and/or gauge? Projectile type? Shot size?
Do you get an extra allowance if you sometimes share with friends?

I fear I may be at risk of a violation. I need to understand the rule set before I slip away to the dark side.

How many would be permissible?
No one else can tell you how many rounds of ammo is considered "hoarding." Let's just say this. If you have a bunker of it, that's too much. If your one of those people, you likely contributed to the hoarding of TP last spring too.

Besides, a sword will be much more efficient on zombies anyways. They don't need to be reloaded.

I also have had good results with the remington express and federal high power in 16 gauge. In 20 I like the remington nitro pheasant añd the federal wingshock pheasants forever loads. It was great to hear they were keeping the same loads at the remington plant. Honestly though I usually have both in my vest and gun most days. Just loosing another great old American brand we grew up with would be sad.

I 2nd the federal wingshot 1 3/8 #5 in 12 ga kills everything that flies.
I make up for hoarding by having many different calibers/gauges all adaquately stocked......1 or 2 hundred rounds per caliber should last me to the grave.
I reload shotshell and rifle as well.....havn't had the need to buy ammo for quite some time.....so can't relate to all the drama..
I generally shoot well above 90% on upland game....so it doesn't take a lot of ammo to put a smile on my face.
My tip of the day for getting high hit %'s......carry that gun at all times like you are going to have a shot at any time... late season birds of all stripes will not give you the extra time if you are not locked and loaded...

Just picked up 5 flats of target loads for clays this year. Bought at brick and mortar, I had no special hook up, just off the shelf. Good price. Yes nearly everything to do with outdoors has been in short supply, but no the sky is not falling.

Just picked up 5 flats of target loads for clays this year. Bought at brick and mortar, I had no special hook up, just off the shelf. Good price. Yes nearly everything to do with outdoors has been in short supply, but no the sky is not falling.
I agree that the sky isn't falling, but many of my fellow high school trap coaches are looking towards the sky with a sense of dread. My team is in pretty good shape, we only need a couple cases of 20 and we'll be good for the season. We ordered 75 cases of 12 direct from Federal in early January. We had them by the end of January. I just didn't expect as many 20 gauge shooters as I have. However, of the 10 or so teams that share the club where we shoot, only one other team has ammo for the season. They are all waiting for their shipments. The season starts 3/29 and they may some ammo left from previous seasons, but if I were them I'd be sweating.

Back