fat>protein

I wonder if this diet would affect endurance. I think a hunting dog works considerably harder than drug dogs etc.

It seems like Bill Tarrant thought that about 10 percent protein was the correct way to feed. It has always stuck with me, but I dismissed it as quackery.:)

I wonder if this diet would affect endurance. I think a hunting dog works considerably harder than drug dogs etc.

Dogs use fat for energy and protein for repairing muscle breakdown. For a hard working hunting dog you should have ample amounts of both. Night and day requirement differences then the dogs that were depicted in that link.

I tend to agree with the above poster. My E pointers expend more energy in 2 hours of hunting than the Shepard depicted will in a week.

I tend to agree with the above poster. My E pointers expend more energy in 2 hours of hunting than the Shepard depicted will in a week.

More like 20 minutes. I don't see where it hurt to add some corn oil to the food. My dad was a bacon grease guy. He would heat it up and add to the dogs food when we were on a trip so they would eat. We also ran EP's. They always seemed to have strong noses. Of course everything's better with bacon:thumbsup:

All true.....but would a dog perform better on say 22-20 as opposed to 26-16. When proplan brought out performance 20 some years ago I don't believe any more thought was given to it than what color to make the bag. Its time proven now but could there be a better option?:)

All true.....but would a dog perform better on say 22-20 as opposed to 26-16. When proplan brought out performance 20 some years ago I don't believe any more thought was given to it than what color to make the bag. Its time proven now but could there be a better option?:)

22% protein is not much for a hard working gun dog. I would be worried more from a muscle breakdown standpoint, possibly leading to an injury. A house dog would be an entirely different thing. They make performance feeds in 30/20 ratios for a reason and every dog may be different in their requirements. Above all else, activity level and metabolism dictates whether they will be able to get by with a maintenance e.g. 26/16 or whether they need something more.

That's my 2 cents worth.

hey I was just generating a conversation. Shes still young, put her back on puppy food and let her grow up.....I say that as a friend.:)

Dogs use fat for energy and protein for repairing muscle breakdown. For a hard working hunting dog you should have ample amounts of both. Night and day requirement differences then the dogs that were depicted in that link.

I agree 100%. Those bomb and weapons sniffing dogs don't exert a fraction of the energy that our dogs do in the field. While the lower protein may work for them I wouldn't recommend it for hard working hunting dogs. My spayed female does great on 26/16. I've tried the higher 30/20 performance food but she seems to hold more weight, even during hunting season, with the higher fat content.

what are some good foods for hunting dogs that are not 30/20. I feed my female lab Nutro High Endurance Performance. It is a 30/20 feed. She is built like bulldog. Maybe I should drop it down a bit.

Is she overweight?

If your hunting her regularly I don't think there is any need to switch her unless as I stated she is overweight. Even then you could simply cut back how much your feeding by a quarter to half cup at a time until she is at the proper body condition.

You can also evaluate how you think the feed is working for her. Things to look at are coat condition, energy, general health and especially stool consistency and quantity.

You can tell a lot from the poo alone. :eek: If your feeding too much food or the digestibility isn't there, you will notice more or runnier stool and even some gas. Smaller tight stools are what your looking for.

The better feeds will have a higher digestibility.

Last edited:
I just looked at the Nutro performance and it looks like a decent enough feed. If she's doing well on it but is just a bit heavy then just cut back some till she looks right.

It's all about calories taken in vs calories burned. Every dog can be different.

what are some good foods for hunting dogs that are not 30/20. I feed my female lab Nutro High Endurance Performance. It is a 30/20 feed. She is built like bulldog. Maybe I should drop it down a bit.

I think most dog foods make formulas that are not 30/20. I would think Nutro would also. 30/20 is generally a performance formula. Regular adult is normally something like 26/16. I feed my female Brittanys NutriSource Adult year round and it's 26/16.

I slowly migrate over to a 40/20 high protein dry food...and my guys still lose weight during the season...but they don't eat particularly well on the road either, so I assume that is part of the problem...I think all dogs are different and their habits change when they hit hunting season...IMHO.

Back