Fall can't come fast enough

smittyslabs

It's barely august and I can't wait to get the dogs out on some roosters. I made my plans for the annual trip to South Dakota and will hunt here in MN the opening weekend. Kind of nice to start off hunting 7 days in a row. Anyone dying from the anticipation?

It never stops.
We have a group that goes to SD every year. I have a small "arsenal" of nice shotguns; 12's, 16's, 20's and a 28. I spend much of the summer deciding which two I will take in the fall. It changes about four or five times a year. Keeps me interested and focused. Just adds more to the fun and anticipation.
You are right. It can't come fast enough.

Yep, I've got the itch. Mountain quail opens Sept 10 this year and that's our first real hunt besides doves. It can't get here soon enough for the dogs and I.

Last edited:
It never stops.
We have a group that goes to SD every year. I have a small "arsenal" of nice shotguns; 12's, 16's, 20's and a 28. I spend much of the summer deciding which two I will take in the fall. It changes about four or five times a year. Keeps me interested and focused. Just adds more to the fun and anticipation.
You are right. It can't come fast enough.
I always seem to fall back on my ol' reliable 870 Wingmaster. I might have to pick up a second as a back up.

Huntin' fever's comin' on strong.

Lol-like everyone else, I can't wait! We won't get a chance at quail till end of October and our pheasant start in December. I'm really hoping to get my young GSP into pheasant this year.
Till then, dove will keep me pre occupied, that starts September 1st.
Even by Texas standards, its unimaginable the amount of doves on our ranch we hunt.
Good luck to all this season! Be safe!

David 0311

Just got back in from conditioning swims and training with my dogs--crisp morning here in northern MN has got the fall feel:)

Dogs pointed some cow birds and a possum last night. Need a camera.

Cannot remember when such a large area looks so good. Should be plenty for those who kept the faith and dogs.

I'm 3 weeks away from getting serious about hunting season. 4 days at Knoxville for the Sprint car Nationals,and next weekend the gold cup at Badlands inBrandon SD,them the the Jackson Nationals at Jackson mn. Then it's time to move a hunting website to the top.

I'm 3 weeks away from getting serious about hunting season. 4 days at Knoxville for the Sprint car Nationals,and next weekend the gold cup at Badlands inBrandon SD,them the the Jackson Nationals at Jackson mn. Then it's time to move a hunting website to the top.

As a driver or spectator???

Not really my thing, but I know a bunch of people that live for it and go every year. We use to go when I was kid. My grandpa loved watching the outlaws. It is only about 30 miles from me.

Good luck if you are behind the wheel.

Have fun & good luck if racing...

P.S. let me know of a good place to get a drink & bite to eat around Jackson MN will be down around there come early Oct was by Worthington MN last year no hunter friendly bars??? All Mexican bars & restaurants very good food but everybody thought we were a road work crew with all the blaze orange we had on etc . lol

U mite even see a rooster in MN down there...

I've got the itch too! September 17th for grouse here. Sunday I ran the pointy type dogs on wild grouse. We moved a dozen over an hour and a half of walking. Can't wait!

I've got the itch too! September 17th for grouse here. Sunday I ran the pointy type dogs on wild grouse. We moved a dozen over an hour and a half of walking. Can't wait!

Nice sounds like the a good ruffed grouse hatch only going to get better the next 4-5 years...

Mind if I ask if u were NW NC or NE Minnesota I don't even need county towns etc. Just curious is all I'll be chasing sharptails & ruffed grouse on opening WK end mite wait a WK if we pull prairie chicken tags & go for 3/4 MN grouse species... I also can't wait

What kind of pointing dogs do you run???

SMO, I'm not too shy about saying where I was at, but I won't say EXACTLY where... I hunt in Aitkin county and Itasca county. Lots of birds up this way. I cruise dirt roads to scout and the broods have been nice sized.

As for the dogs, I was running my EP and I had my brother in law's young GSP out. This will be my EP's second season and the GSP has never been on a hunt before so they just needed to get some more bird contacts.

SMO, I'm not too shy about saying where I was at, but I won't say EXACTLY where... I hunt in Aitkin county and Itasca county. Lots of birds up this way. I cruise dirt roads to scout and the broods have been nice sized.

As for the dogs, I was running my EP and I had my brother in law's young GSP out. This will be my EP's second season and the GSP has never been on a hunt before so they just needed to get some more bird contacts.

Nice never hunted itasca county but my dad family has a cabin near McGregor MN so I hunted all over aitkin county good to hear there is some birds up there I stopped going Lil to no bird contacts in prime areas I said enuff I have done much better NE into st. Louis county closer to lake Superior .... Got some buddy's up by walker, MN that do OK with no dog & mostly deer hunt... will look into some public stuff I've looked at via google maps & mndnr web site up near there place going to try it this year... Do a cast & blast grouse & walleyes...

Cool gotta get them young dogs bird contacts nothing helps more ... Point flush shoot retrieve repeat as much as possible...

Last edited:
As a driver or spectator???

Not really my thing, but I know a bunch of people that live for it and go every year. We use to go when I was kid. My grandpa loved watching the outlaws. It is only about 30 miles from me.

Good luck if you are behind the wheel.

Spectator, been here in Knoxville since last Monday. Going home Sunday, assuming the races get over Saturday night.

Kind of a somber mood with Brian Clauson getting killed last weekend in Kansas.

Have fun & good luck if racing...

P.S. let me know of a good place to get a drink & bite to eat around Jackson MN will be down around there come early Oct was by Worthington MN last year no hunter friendly bars??? All Mexican bars & restaurants very good food but everybody thought we were a road work crew with all the blaze orange we had on etc . lol

U mite even see a rooster in MN down there...

Gotta give the Bergen bar (12 miles n of Jackson) the highest rating for a steak house. The Shed in Lakefield is what you're looking for pizza/ Short order restaurant. Depending on where you're hunting, northland Inn on 86 in Spirit lake is a good option and only 8 miles south on the mn border.m

Gotta give the Bergen bar (12 miles n of Jackson) the highest rating for a steak house. The Shed in Lakefield is what you're looking for pizza/ Short order restaurant. Depending on where you're hunting, northland Inn on 86 in Spirit lake is a good option and only 8 miles south on the mn border.m

OK reddog thanks very cool I will look at them for sure man much appreciated just kinda looking for a more hunter friendly type set up I had to crack up when the lady taking our order asked if we were a road crew cuz the blaze orange hats etc. Lol

Will pm you here shortly... I try to avoid motels if possible more a camp out tent or cabin type guy I feel like I'm in a apartment in hotels lol rather be under stars or on a deck looking at water vs 4 walls & gotta keep noise down find spots for dogs to do biz all that... + pay extra 4 dogs...

Been by all them speedways u are at & will be at only once by Knoxville but many timed by brandan SD & Jackson MN... Always stop for gas at brandan SD on way out west to turkey hunt...

Back