fake pheasant

Bob Peters

Do those dummies work for training pheasant dog. They're made of hard foam and have a plastic head and tail and a little rope so you can throw them. And is it for throwing and retrieving or do you hide them in the weeds?

Yes yes and yes
It has a hard head and tail to teach how to carry a bird and stop from shaking a bird.

I have had a couple dogs refuse to pick them up. Most like tennis balls or tennis ball material rods better. They retrieve birds to hand in the field.

Be careful with tennis balls or any other perfectly round ball. Ive seen dogs develop hard mouths due to being able to roll the ball in their mouths. I use them as a last resort.

When real pheasants are-made out hard foam-have a -plastic head-head attached with a rope-may have some value-:rolleyes:
they and the others of this type ducks ect. Are nothing more than a marketing gimmick—a very successful one obviously-but worthless gimmick-
OK —JMHO OPINION—FIRE AWAY THOSE THAT DIFFER:devilish:

So far I've trained 3 pointing Labs using regular bumpers, and also Dokken DeadFowl trainers. I'm certainly no expert, but I love the DeadFowl trainers. My dogs haven't had any issues with retrieving them, and the hard plastic head, feet, and tail encourages a good body grip and discourages head shaking. Just my $.02 worth.

When real pheasants are-made out hard foam-have a -plastic head-head attached with a rope-may have some value-:rolleyes:
they and the others of this type ducks ect. Are nothing more than a marketing gimmick—a very successful one obviously-but worthless gimmick-
So you have no use for anything to train other than real birds?
Not firing away.. cant we discuss?

Of course real birds are the ideal-
‘But in this case my point and opinion is that—The Doken expensive type dummies are no more effective than a assortment of regular trainI got bumpers/dummies-they are a brilliant MARKETING MARKETING IDEA—and nothing else—

As I said before JMHO—Different opinions-fire away

I think the dokken dummies are a good replacement for bumpers to keep your pup from shaking during the retriever. However, for pointing work and finishing retrieving training or wounded critter training, nothing beats real birds. Even just pigeons.

I've worked with and trained more GSP's than I can count. The Dokken works one time perfectly. The first time that hard head hits the top of a GSP's nose, shaking is over. I then go to bumpers. Gimmick or not, it works for me.

Agree 100% but I will admit to having a handful of the fake ducks/pheasants (raffle prizes) and I will use them when the cover is really sparse. I think we can both agree the man behind these things is a much better marketing person than dog trainer. But people still recommend him all the time.

I don’t believe in using the “fake ducks” training dogs that hunt test. That can lure them into retrieving a decoy during a test which would disqualify them.

Agree 100% but I will admit to having a handful of the fake ducks/pheasants (raffle prizes) and I will use them when the cover is really sparse. I think we can both agree the man behind these things is a much better marketing person than dog trainer. But people still recommend him all the time.
He made his name in the early days of hunt tests—don’t believe he ever was able to,be competitive at the field trial level against the likes of—
D. Farmer—D. Rorem—Et al—

We use the Dokken with wings duct taped to them...we hide them rather than throw them...

Back