Extreme Dog Fuel

LC Smith

Alright guys... let's hear your input on this food. I am feeding Victor now, but keep hearing good things on EDF and is peaking my interest in a change. I see there is a difference in their formulas for their 26-18 foods (Elite vs. Professional.) I appreciate the input.

I had never heard of this food until your post. I went to their web site and looked at most of their formulas and didn't see anything that would drive me to this food. In none of the formulas is pure meat a #1 ingredient. Lots of chicken meal and chicken by products. But that's not necessarily bad. I would question how available EDF is in your area? And what is the price of some of the formulas? I sure wouldn't give up my PPP for it.

I had never heard of this food until your post. I went to their web site and looked at most of their formulas and didn't see anything that would drive me to this food. In none of the formulas is pure meat a #1 ingredient. Lots of chicken meal and chicken by products. But that's not necessarily bad. I would question how available EDF is in your area? And what is the price of some of the formulas? I sure wouldn't give up my PPP for it.
I switched from PPP to Victor right after they changed the formula because by boy would not eat it. What I do like of the EDF Pro Athlete formula is no corn or corn products. That always bugged me about PPP and their significant reliance on corn. I understand chicken meal is just chicken that has been chopped up and dehydrated and also has higher protein content. I need to research that more. Thanks for the conversation Zeb.

I switched from PPP to Victor right after they changed the formula because by boy would not eat it. What I do like of the EDF Pro Athlete formula is no corn or corn products. That always bugged me about PPP and their significant reliance on corn. I understand chicken meal is just chicken that has been chopped up and dehydrated and also has higher protein content. I need to research that more. Thanks for the conversation Zeb.
Corn in a dog food has never bothered me. I think it has gotten a bad rap. I see EDF has corn in their other formulas. That Pro Athlete is probably a very good dog food. Just kind of an unknown at this point. Good luck if you try it and report back your results.

Like Zeb, I see nothing special that would make me to choose this food over the Diamond Extreme Athlete I feed my dog. The ingredients are essentially the same, and to me, it's just an unknown but doesn't do anything (for me) to stand out from the pack.

Owner of a bird ranch told me that with a kennel of 14 GSPs, Purina Pro Plan up to $80/50lbs. is getting expensive.

Last edited:
I understand chicken meal is just chicken that has been chopped up and dehydrated and also has higher protein content.
Chicken/poultry meal is basically ground up, heat-treated, and dehydrated dead poultry (chicken or turkey). They heat treat it to kill any pathogens and then dry it out so it lasts longer. Perfectly safe for a dog and relatively high in protein.

Owner of a bird ranch told me that with a kennel of 14 GSPs, Purina Pro Plan up to 80/50lbs. is getting expensive.
That's why I switched to Diamond myself. Reading between the bags, personally I think the ingredients in Diamond seem a bit better. Diamond increased in price about $5 a bag when PPP raised it's prices like $30 a bag. Plus, PPP always seems to have some sort of recall going on for one of its blends. Diamond hasn't had a recall in 10 years.

I didn't see anything special about this food, the lack of corn bothers me a little, but the lack of dealers in my region is a BIG deal breaker. Seems like a fancy name with not much to back it up.

PS Please Please Please no one quote Dog Food Advisor. That disaster needs to go away

Corns fine by me and have nothing against chicken. But have gone off of chicken. Seems like my two have a different attitude, feel better on beef or fish so I’m going to keep feeding it.

Show me the digestibility of any dog food you feed and any research. Show me the science.
You could show us all the research and scientific data there is and for the majority of us it wouldn't mean much. We spend a lot of time analyzing and debating dog foods. And I'm a believer in feeding a quality dog food. But when it comes down to basics this is about all the data we need.

1. Does your dog like the food?
2. Is your dog healthy?
3. Does your dog have adequate energy and stamina?
4. Does your dog maintain a healthy weight?

If you can answer "yes" to those four questions chances are what you are feeding it doing the job. :)

You are right on Zeb, but most feed based on suggestions from the kid at the pet shop and will steer you to what they sell and not science.
If the bag says 30% protein and is only 50% digestible, then that is only 15% useable protein. Must read between the lines on a bag of food.
Remember all the hype about grain free? Where did that start from and which companies didn't buy into it??

I've been feeding sporting dogs since 1974 and God only knows how many different brands and formulas of dog food I've fed. I don't really recall having a major issue with any. I would say that in the past 15-20 years the two brands I've liked the best are PPP and NutriSource.

fed them all, and they thrived on, Purina One which is in every grocery store, supermarket, and walmart. keep it simple.

fed them all, and they thrived on, Purina One which is in every grocery store, supermarket, and walmart. keep it simple.
My step-son has fed his Brittanys Purina One for years and always has had healthy dogs. If you look at the ingredients, etc. there is little difference in Purina One and PPP.

Chicken/poultry meal is basically ground up, heat-treated, and dehydrated dead poultry (chicken or turkey). They heat treat it to kill any pathogens and then dry it out so it lasts longer. Perfectly safe for a dog and relatively high in protein.
Great to know, thanks.

That's why I switched to Diamond myself. Reading between the bags, personally I think the ingredients in Diamond seem a bit better. Diamond increased in price about $5 a bag when PPP raised it's prices like $30 a bag. Plus, PPP always seems to have some sort of recall going on for one of its blends. Diamond hasn't had a recall in 10 years.
That Diamond Extreme Athlete looks really good.

That Diamond Extreme Athlete looks really good.
My dogs have seemed to like it over the years. They're a relatively smaller company, at least compared to the big names. I switched to PPP for a couple years but when they hiked up their price so much at the beginning of COVID and the supply chain issues, and they've yet to come down, I went back to Diamond.

I've been feeding sporting dogs since 1974 and God only knows how many different brands and formulas of dog food I've fed. I don't really recall having a major issue with any. I would say that in the past 15-20 years the two brands I've liked the best are PPP and NutriSource.
I have fed a lot of of dogs a lot of food over the years. And just like you PPP or NutriSource have been the best. I currently feed NutriScource and will continue to.

Back