Extracurricular Fun

BritChaser

Anybody have fun in Dallas SD during huntin' season? I'm looking to visit Dallas this season after a positive review of the place by a huntin' buddy.

I have not done the PM thing yet, but Frank Days and Cody’s are next door to each other. If it’s stale at one place, go next door. The only caveat is that it doesn’t really get going til about 9 pm or so…

Brings back fond memories of the good old days!! Party half the night, hung over half the day. Recover just in time to do it again. Now a days to beers and I start towards the bed. The little towns in Iowa had very few pretty girls, but about 7 beers would cure that problem! :p All I will say is, be careful out there in party town or you'll pick up more than hunting spots...

Anybody have fun in Dallas SD during huntin' season? I'm looking to visit Dallas this season after a positive review of the place by a huntin' buddy.
This is the area os SD where pay-to-hunt started many years ago. And a lot of them are still in business. Check out the motel rates!

Brings back fond memories of the good old days!! Party half the night, hung over half the day. Recover just in time to do it again. Now a days to beers and I start towards the bed. The little towns in Iowa had very few pretty girls, but about 7 beers would cure that problem! :p All I will say is, be careful out there in party town or you'll pick up more than hunting spots...
Yes, a variation of West Nile virus…South (of the border) Nile virus…very prevalent! Not a surprise that this is where “pay to play” originated….cock costs! 🤣🤣🤣

Carroll Iowa, back in the 80's
Yes! Carroll Iowa was excellent hunting...and for free as farmers didn't charge us. Terraces and water ways were prime hunting, easy limits and the shooting hours reasonable.

Recall returning to the motel with birds in the rear storage area of my Chev. statiion wagon. Someone lifted the deck and up popped a very live bird, who proceeded to hop to the ground and take off across the crusted snow with Golden in pursuit. The bird tired and the dog retrieved once more. Unforgettable Carroll event!

Yes! Carroll Iowa was excellent hunting...and for free as farmers didn't charge us. Terraces and water ways were prime hunting, easy limits and the shooting hours reasonable.

Recall returning to the motel with birds in the rear storage area of my Chev. statiion wagon. Someone lifted the deck and up popped a very live bird, who proceeded to hop to the ground and take off across the crusted snow with Golden in pursuit. The bird tired and the dog retrieved once more. Unforgettable Carroll event!
Iowa was all about creek banks, fence rows, terraces and some ditches. This was pre-CRP. It was an easy sport with a golden that pointed roosters, rarely a hen, within six feet of her nose. 7.5s in right barrel and 6s in left barrel, most flushes within 25 yds. Flush, Boom, Retrieve, Repeat. Cheese curds and a cold brew secured permission for the whole season. I met some great landowners. Ahhhh, memories.

Iowa was all about creek banks, fence rows, terraces and some ditches. This was pre-CRP. It was an easy sport with a golden that pointed roosters, rarely a hen, within six feet of her nose. 7.5s in right barrel and 6s in left barrel, most flushes within 25 yds. Flush, Boom, Retrieve, Repeat. Cheese curds and a cold brew secured permission for the whole season. I met some great landowners. Ahhhh, memories.
Somethings never change, it is still mostly waterways, unless you can get access to a nice parcel of CRP or hit IHAP or a rare state owned property at the right time.

Lesterville...I am not sure I have even heard that word for a decade!

Back