Extending my 20 ga. 2 3/4" chambers to 3"

calamari

I have a Browning Citori O/U 20 ga. Upland model that came with 2 3/4" chambers. That limits the steel loads to 3/4oz. and the lead to 1 1/8 oz. A friend gave me more than 1/2 a case of 3" 1 1/4 oz. Mark 5 Winchester shells so I decided to extend the chambers to allow more versatility in the gun. The problem is that the Browning has what appears to be very thin material in the area where the chambers are. I didn't want an unsafe gun after the work was done.
So, I tried various gunsmiths and found most didn't reply or had no experience with the chamber work but were willing to,"give it a try." Not something that instills confidence. Michael Orlen replied to my email but only once and never answered my subsequent request for details on how he was going to do it. He also had this issue with the Better Business Bureau that I didn't like.

http://www.bbb.org/central-western-...s/mike-orlen-gunsmithing-in-amherst-ma-204846

It was apparently based on one dissatisfied customer which seems like a small number of complaints. What I found to be off putting was his response to my requests and than his apparent lack of concern for his business rating so even though he would do it for about 1/2 of what Briley would do it for I went with Briley.
Stephen at Briley's seems to have limitless patience with my requests for details and my concern about the barrels subsequent safety. They did the work on the two chambers for $150 plus shipping and did it in 3 weeks from the time I sent it till I got it back.
Shipping is another story. I checked with the Postal Service and they would have shipped it Registerd signature tracking required for about $16 but I had already wrapped it with plastic tape which they don't allow. It has to be all paper so that all the signatures have a place on the package. Everyone that touches the package has to sign it and it is locked up at night in a safe. If it wasn't for having to re-wrap the tube, I would have gone with them.
FedEx wanted $80 and said it had to be shipped next day overnight even though it didn't since it had no receiver parts and was only the barrels.
UPS did it for $29 and their agent knew it didn't have to go overnight. Plastic tape was OK -no fuss-no muss.
The work Briley did seems to be very good with what appears to be a smooth transition from the chambers to the barrels.

Danger!

Maybe a bad idea just to take advantage of the free case of shells. If the chamber area looks thin where it would be bored another half inch, it probably is too thin. A blow out in that area would harm or kill you or someone nearby.

That was funny. Yes, maybe I will now kill everyone in the field with me including myself but actually I think if it does fail it would be in the form of a bulge before any catastrophic explosion. Those tend to only come from barrel blockages and resulting over pressures which won't be the case with a 1/4" machining and standard loads. Briley measured it and determined it had enough metal. Stephen at Briley had the work done on his Upland Citori years ago w/o a problem too

Good point about the Mark 5s but just because they are old doesn't make them bad. Shot collars work like shot cups and they are still good shells that after I unload them through the barrel are good hulls to reload.

I'm not saying they're bad or dangerous to shoot, hell, I've shot my fair share of roosters with them. It's that they're valuable from a collectable standpoint. Shoot 'em if ya want though!

Now your talking about something I wasn't aware of. Valuable as in how much and to whom? They are the plastic hulls but with the Mark 5 collars. I've got the case box and all the shells are in their individual boxes.

Oh, I was under the assumption they were original, unfired. You've got some great reloaders then! If their original boxes are in decent shape you should continue to preserve them. From time to time I've seen them pop up on gunbroker and sell for $15-$45 depending on condition and age. More of a nostalgic collectible I suppose, at least for me.

You're right. They are unfired original plastic Mark 5 shells. I have a vague recollection that the mark 5 collar was first used in the last of the Winchester paper hulls but I'm probably wrong.
I looked at auction sites and it looked like they were only going for about $25/box in the original box unfired. That's not much more than what a new box of 3" shells goes for so it doesn't seem to be worth it unless you know of a specific place that pays more.
I appreciate your information.

Just my opinion, but if you want a 3' chambered gun, buy a 3" chambered gun. I wouldn't even consider boring a 2.75" gun to 3" . I have a Englished stocked upland Browning Citori with 3" chambers. That's what kept me from buying a Citori Super Lite. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy a modified gun. So think about that fact, if you may ever consider getting rid of it down the line. if it can even be done.

Onpoint

Last edited:
Onpoint, its already been done. My guns are tools I take care of but aren't a status symbol to me and since I intend to be buried before they're worn out, I'll let whoever I give them to worry about their value. The Browning 20 ga. Citori O/U Upland model with the English stock only comes in 2 3/4" chambers. The 12 ga. is a 3" but I wanted a 20 ga. The purpose of the whole thread and update was to give a history of one guys experience with various gunsmiths, cost for the work, shipping and the time it took.

Onpoint, its already been done. My guns are tools I take care of but aren't a status symbol to me and since I intend to be buried before they're worn out, I'll let whoever I give them to worry about their value. The Browning 20 ga. Citori O/U Upland model with the English stock only comes in 2 3/4" chambers. The 12 ga. is a 3" but I wanted a 20 ga. The purpose of the whole thread and update was to give a history of one guys experience with various gunsmiths, cost for the work, shipping and the time it took.

I beg to differ, I have a 20ga 3" Citori Upland with a English stock with 3" chambers from the factory

Here's a pic of it

citori.jpg

You do what ever you want with your guns. Enjoy them, I was just expressing my thoughts on the matter. No disrespect intended.

Onpint

Onpoint, I'm glad to see that. In 1988 when I bought that same model they weren't available. Only 2 3/4" chambers in the 20 ga. Upland. Makes me even more comfortable about the work I had done. Thanks.
As far as the 16 ga., it's a great gun but I've had my 20 with lots of empties and reloading components for over 20 years and I'm happy. Although, a 16 ga. was my first gun and I liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Briley is a long experienced and reputable outfit. If they say the guns is safe to shoot, I wouldn't give it another thought.

Back