Extending a dogs hunting range

Quailman

I am looking for help to extend my Brittany's hunting range. She is going to be 2 years old in January and last years range was about twice as far as she is wanting to go this season for some reason. The hunting skill she has increases with each trip out hunting but I am not sure what to think about this very close working dog this season. To estimate the range this year vs. last year I would guess the range be about 25 to 30 yards, sometimes farther last year, and this season she want to be 10 to 15 yards out is all.. Any suggestions. I know she is still a pup learning the game, I just want to correct a problem, if needed, before it becomes a habit. Thanks!

Have you used a collar on the dog alot? I had a friend that used his collar to much and the setter would not leave his leg. I took him hunting and left the collar off. The Setter turned out to his best dog with no collar. That is just a suggestion. I have a Shotrhair that ranges between 15 and 40 yards. She is the best Pheasant dog I have ever had. I don't worry about the range to much.

I'd guess the dog lacks confidence. Difference between 15 and 30 isn't much and to close for a point dog in my opinion. Not sure you can change it but I think I'd keep taking her for walks and hopefully she decides she isn't going to get lost and decides to get out there. Does she seem to know what she's out there for?

To close!

Probably one of the besr dogs i ever had was a brit WHEN YOU WERE IN BIRDS but what i didnt like was it just didnt cover the ground i was wanting covered, but thats not all britts though for sure i go to some trials and see some quick snappy go getters get what you want i like an ep an awful lot dude!

I think that there is probably some truth in everything each person has mentioned. Tall grass (doesn't want to get lost), not positive why we are out there in the first place, had the shock collar on her(didn't use it but she knows what it is for), maybe a little(or a lot) out of shape (like me). Opening day of the season. Lots to remember from last year. Perhaps I should just get out there and hunt and let her hunt and quit worrying about having a Champion pointer at 1 1/2 years old.!. Agree? :D

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming if you got more...Q...

Birds.....................

She needs birds ! do you train in the off season with her? get some pigeons and work with her .Birds should get her search fired up:cheers:

I think that there is probably some truth in everything each person has mentioned. Tall grass (doesn't want to get lost), not positive why we are out there in the first place, had the shock collar on her(didn't use it but she knows what it is for), maybe a little(or a lot) out of shape (like me). Opening day of the season. Lots to remember from last year. Perhaps I should just get out there and hunt and let her hunt and quit worrying about having a Champion pointer at 1 1/2 years old.!. Agree? :D

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming if you got more...Q...

what part of iowa are you from i hunted in victor iowa few years back and saw hundreds i always liked it there but man do i like kansas!

I live about 15 minutes east of Victor in Williamsburg. Most people don't know the town of W'burg but know where the Tanger Mall is, same place. Where/who did you hunt with when you were in Victor?

BTW: My brothers and I generally make a trip down to Kansas ourselves around Christmas time to chase quail/pheasant. I love that state for bird hunting. Occasional trip to Texas quail hunting too, Childress area.

Gotta love chasing birds!...Q...:D...

wow!

Thats close small world lol!It was private land friend of friend.It was about five six years ago are the #s still like that there?The only downfall was no quail and that is my fav!

Our bird numbers are way down. Two very harsh/deep winters followed by wet Springs have the bird numbers hurtin' in my part of the state. NW Iowa seems to be doin' ok for bird numbers.

I am hoping for a mild or at least a non snowy winter this year for the sake of our pheasant and quail populations...Q...

I am looking for help to extend my Brittany's hunting range. She is going to be 2 years old in January and last years range was about twice as far as she is wanting to go this season for some reason. The hunting skill she has increases with each trip out hunting but I am not sure what to think about this very close working dog this season. To estimate the range this year vs. last year I would guess the range be about 25 to 30 yards, sometimes farther last year, and this season she want to be 10 to 15 yards out is all.. Any suggestions. I know she is still a pup learning the game, I just want to correct a problem, if needed, before it becomes a habit. Thanks!

Any idea what changed from last year to current?

Aside from the fact that she is just making scent close in to you or your hunting very heavy cover, more info is needed.

Some of the common mistakes made with a young dog early on is trying to over control the dog with commands while their doing their field search. This is especially true if the pup appears to working at an uncomfortable range. This over control could have a negative affect as they will soon discover if they get to far away from you they get stimulated. Trying to hack a dog constantly to stay in gun range and soon the dog will not want to range out. Now im not implying that this was your case, but it is all to common. If she is actively working but just close in I can think of worse things when Pheasant hunting.

Personally, I always let a pup run as big as it wants early on and especially their first hunting season. Then I keep my mouth shut. Much easier to reel a dog in than to get one to range out. What ever happens, happens. When they are little older and have had a bunch of bird exposure, I will work on bird manners. Build desire first then polish the bird work. You gain that trust in each other and soon you are team.

Generally speaking most dogs will increase their range somewhat as they graduate from puppyhood to adult. As their confidence grows, so goes their independence.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about how far the dog is working, to me as long as the dog is quartering and covering good ground. My GSP usually roams around the 10-15 yards range but i noticed alot of it is due to the wind. If the wind is at his back he'll run staright out about a good 40-50 yards and work his way back with the wind in his face. but if the wind is in his face he'll just stay in the 10-20 yard range.

I can say one thing for sure, there is a great deal of experience on this web site. Birdshooter I actually think you have been watching me. After I posted this post and got a couple ideas on what to try, I started leaving that dang e collar at home, things immediately changed for the better. My dogs have been at hunting optimal ranges and hunting much harder than I have ever experienced. Why did I not think of this, I can't give you a good answer. Honestly, I seldom ever used the stimulus on the collar I used it mostly the silent call. The collar appears to be the issue, what a simple fix.

Thanks for the input. Now lets go chase some birds! :cheers:

Back