Experiences going from one bird dog to two?

Hunters that leave their dog loose in the cab find out quickly what a crate is for. There are plenty of pictures of chewed up truck seats.
You train the dog and don't let the dog train you.

Maybe take them both out at the first spot, then rotate them after that? Now that the weather is cold, you could leave a dog in the truck for 45 minutes to nap while you bring the other dog in the field.
I want my older dog to teach the puppy. The puppy is starting to hunt and retrieve. He has flushed a few hens.Maybe he will flush a rooster by end of January, when I hunt sd.

It’s 100% predicated on your ability to handle two dogs and how well the aforementioned dogs are trained. I run 2 English Pointers in Iowa for pheasants. It took some getting used to.

If you just go out and try to hunt two dogs at once, you’d be foolish. Taking two dogs out at once to learn how they’ll respond is what February through September are for.
I Disagree with that.I want to put my puppy on birds as much as possible in his first season. Yesterday, he almost ran down a runner in the open.We never did find that one. Not hit well.My fault.

I never hunted with two of my own dogs, but when my current lab was in her first year of hunting (about 6 months old), I found that she was far more focused on what we were trying to do when other dogs weren't around.

With other dogs around, she was more interested in grab ass and playing games. When the other dogs were removed from the equation, it was more business related. Eventually she got over having other dogs along on the hunt because she understood what we were there for.

I never hunted with two of my own dogs, but when my current lab was in her first year of hunting (about 6 months old), I found that she was far more focused on what we were trying to do when other dogs weren't around.

With other dogs around, she was more interested in grab ass and playing games. When the other dogs were removed from the equation, it was more business related. Eventually she got over having other dogs along on the hunt because she understood what we were there for.
That's a good point. I just can't bare to leave my older lab.She is already mad at me for getting puppy.

That's a good point. I just can't bare to leave my older lab.She is already mad at me for getting puppy.
I get it. She knows where you're going and would obviously not be very happy if you left her at home.

For the sake of the younger dog's training, you might consider trying it though.

I get it. She knows where you're going and would obviously not be very happy if you left her at home.

For the sake of the younger dog's training, you might consider trying it though.
Yes,I think I probably will.It hurts me as well. I'm going to south Dakota in January, so I have time.

Back