Experiences going from one bird dog to two?

Now that this post is over a year old I've had more experiences with the dogs. If we go out for a single day trip I'll hunt both. Usually I just hunt on weekends with all the other 40 hour a week guys. But I've probably got a couple 4 day straight hunting trips left in me this year. If that's the case, and now that the weather is cold, I'll probably rotate the dogs some, leaving one in the truck. It is really nice just hunting alone with one dog. Skye the older dog will always steal the rooster from Roxy if she happens to find a downed one first. I'll make sure that Roxy gets some solo hunts where she doesn't have to worry about older sister stealing the birds from her. Roxy does have a heckuva good nose and often on a shot bird that is hiding, Roxy has been the one to find him. We did have a dropped young rooster early this fall out by Canby in a marsh, and the two goldens and a young brittany were all looking for. After a long search effort we were walking back to the truck and lo and behold, we were calling for Roxy, and she came out from the swamp holding a bedraggled pheasant in her mouth.

My younger dog is now in her 3rd season and it's been awesome. She's gained a lot more independence and is searching her own spots rather than defaulting to checking out my olders dog area. Already have had a ton of times where she finds birds that my older dog had missed due to positioning.

Then I had a great retrieve yesterday on a Gambels quail that I only partially hit. Younger dog found the bush it was under and scared it out, but didn't see it, my other dog saw it run and was the one to chase it down. Just awesome synergy between the two.

I almost always hunt them separately. I have owned up to 3 dogs at one time. Most often only two are of hunting age ... Right now I have one main bird dog ... so he does not have to share.

By rotating the dogs they stay fresh longer - even on a day trip. My dogs sweep areas on their own accord and thus two independent bird dogs can get somewhat far apart. Fine, but I like to keep it simpler. There have been many trips that were two walks, two birds and done.

Brittanys and other pointing dogs often cover an incredible amount of distance in 30 - 40 minutes. I watched a guy today hunt with two labs. The two dogs often were together, sometimes apart ... they were never more than 20 - 30 yards from the hunter. If that was my situation, I would not hesitate to hunt them together often. My Britts by many pointing dog owners would be middle-distance bird dogs ... they are within 10 - 20 yards every 5 minutes or so, but often 40, 80, 100 yards out ... depending on wind and cover.

Rotating dogs works well for me.

Then I had a great retrieve yesterday on a Gambels quail that I only partially hit. Younger dog found the bush it was under and scared it out, but didn't see it, my other dog saw it run and was the one to chase it down. Just awesome synergy between the two.

Were these western slope CO gambels? I found a few over thanksgiving on private and have been debating going back out there to try it out.

I only hunted locally, often with a friend who took in an English Pointer, a casualty of divorce. My Wirehair and his Pointer worked a field well together, and every now and then, the magic happened: Point! Honor!---and then moments of silence as my buddy and I just watched the living statuary frozen in the moment, and in my mind forever, as they, motionless, sent beams of energy radiating out of their focus.

Still beautiful today, even with my friend and both dogs long gone.

But with Mick, the ESS, and Young Bert, the not-right dog, a Wirehair, I hunted each alone. Better for them, and for me.

Best wishes.
Stumbled across this picture of a Pointer, my1701899131694.png GWP honoring, and a human trying to claim the credit.

1701899131694.png

We have been using 2 dogs since the 90s with no issues. Ow with gps collars it makes it even easier. As mentioned, with retrieving the dominant dog will try to take all of the retrieves so if that’s a concern, you will certainly have to be aware of that.

The only thing I would warn you about is when it comes to retrieving a shot bird. Years ago I hunted a young dog with my older dog that was a fantastic retriever but also very possessive of his birds. When I shot a bird over my young dog she would run to the bird, pick it up and then the older dog would come and take it away. I screwed up and allowed this to happen and over time the younger dog became a non-retriever. Don't make the same mistake I did.
I'm having the puppy taking birds from my 10 year old.I don't want to interfere, because I want him to retrieve, and I think he will.I havnt done any training, just hunting. I hunt solo most of the time.I can't leave one in the vehicle because that would hurt my older dogs feelings.

I'm having the puppy taking birds from my 10 year old.I don't want to interfere, because I want him to retrieve, and I think he will.I havnt done any training, just hunting. I hunt solo most of the time.I can't leave one in the vehicle because that would hurt my older dogs feelings.
Maybe take them both out at the first spot, then rotate them after that? Now that the weather is cold, you could leave a dog in the truck for 45 minutes to nap while you bring the other dog in the field.

I have 3 dogs, pointing breeds, and generally run them together in the first field to burn energy off, they hunt well together 18 month, 7 & 9 yrs. The trouble is my older dog will start to track and slows her pace down to where I can easily follow, the younger dogs haven't learned this and will push the bird and birds will flush further ahead. On downed birds they younger dogs know the oldest is queen and defer to her for the retrieve. After the first field I either run 2 or one dog at a time. More linear cover, there is much competition to pin the birds first and is frustrating so I run one dog.

The biggest downfall i see is with my pup she is riding the coattails of the older dogs and I need to work her more independently so she can develop her pheasant skills. When hunting the grouse woods it is one dog at a time.

This is why we have entitled brats in the world. Their parents don't stop them from stealing other kids toys because they don't want their precious child to have hurt feelings.

A well breed retriever wants to retrieve, you don't need to let it gets it's way just to encourage it. Not to mention it's even better if a dog learns that it's rewarded with its own bird if it does the work not just always getting a free reward.

It really comes down to basic manners, I wouldn't hunt with someone who let their dog try stealing birds from mine, that's how you get a tug of war bird.

As my picture and screen name show, I have been a two lab guy. Actually it is now 3 as my new 8 week old pup has aged to 6 months.
My senior citizen, Parker the Bird Horse, is 12 and retired from hunting. I usually hunted Parker and Brady, now 8, as alternating in different fields when practical. This keeps them fresher and provides back-up for injuries, especially on multi-day trips. If I'm by myself, I might put them both out on the first field to burn off some energy. With other hunters I usually found it too stressful trying watch my two, plus where I was walking or going to step into, plus the other hunters, maybe their dogs, which color collar to select on my E-collar transmitter, etc. And boy, they did not like to be left behind in the cab of the truck. I also had to be very careful about how hot the interior of the truck might get.

I need to update my picture.
Tom

Maybe take them both out at the first spot, then rotate them after that? Now that the weather is cold, you could leave a dog in the truck for 45 minutes to nap while you bring the other dog in the field.
Neither one will tolerate being left.I don't use crates,or cages like these other dogs. I have dog beds in my vehicle. Total comfort, no bs cage.

This is why we have entitled brats in the world. Their parents don't stop them from stealing other kids toys because they don't want their precious child to have hurt feelings.

A well breed retriever wants to retrieve, you don't need to let it gets it's way just to encourage it. Not to mention it's even better if a dog learns that it's rewarded with its own bird if it does the work not just always getting a free reward.

It really comes down to basic manners, I wouldn't hunt with someone who let their dog try stealing birds from mine, that's how you get a tug of war bird.
I don't like it, but I can't stop it.damm

This past weekend was the first time I've left a dog in the truck. My 10yr old GSP is good for one good run in the morning, about 2.5hrs at once. Then 3 or 4 more half hour walks throughout the rest of the day. She howls and yaps like all hell has broke loose until we're out of sight, then sits in the front seat of the truck waiting for us to return. Later in the day when she is more tired she'll sleep. I feel terrible leaving her, but I'd much rather have an upset dog than be a horrid dog owner and let her run herself into the ground and be in pain for a week. I envy the guys that trained their dogs to patiently wait their turns. That is something I will need to do with my 9mo old.

I don't like it, but I can't stop it.damm
You should at least be recalling and telling them no when they try. Otherwise you are enabling them.

A good training session which I know you don't like doing, is to throw a bumper while making each one wait for their own turn. They learn that not every retrieve is for them. Which helps in other aspects of life too because they learn patience.

You should at least be recalling and telling them no when they try. Otherwise you are enabling them.

A good training session which I know you don't like doing, is to throw a bumper while making each one wait for their own turn. They learn that not every retrieve is for them. Which helps in other aspects of life too because they learn patience.
That really takes a lot of training and discipline. You obviously know a lot about training. I just hunt, and learn on the fly.I totally agree that only one should retrieve.

It’s 100% predicated on your ability to handle two dogs and how well the aforementioned dogs are trained. I run 2 English Pointers in Iowa for pheasants. It took some getting used to.

If you just go out and try to hunt two dogs at once, you’d be foolish. Taking two dogs out at once to learn how they’ll respond is what February through September are for.

I wouldn't hunt with someone who let their dog try stealing birds from mine,

That's exactly what I experienced when a bigger male came with us once. Every time we would fold up a bird, it would plow into the other smaller female and steal the bird. Then it would chew it into a pulp.

That guy didn't get invited again and when asked why, I told him. He blew a fuse. People don't like to hear that their dog ruins the hunt.

Back