Experiences going from one bird dog to two?

Bob Peters

Hi, I'm just wondering the differences you've seen from hunting with one bird dog and then adding another to the mix? I've been hunting with a field bred golden for 3 seasons now. We both were new to hunting and learned together. I think she learned pretty quick and I've always been happy to have her. No formal training, but she is obedient and biddable for the most part. We put up more birds together than I would alone for sure. Now there's another dog in the mix. Same breed, she will be right at a year when pheasant hunting opens. Hunting two retrievers together what are your thoughts? Drop both at every stop, alternate, really any observations you have I'm thankful to hear. There's a lot of great info on this site, I appreciate all who contribute. 20220826_205900.jpg20220826_205552.jpg

I went from 1 Golden to 2 and now a Golden and Springer. Went to 2 dogs after 1 got injured and put us on the bench for an extended period. I had good intentions of hunting 1 at a time to always have 1 fresh but that doesnt happen too often. Luckily mine stay well within range most of the time so Im not chasing dogs in different directions. A variety of reasons that I struggle to leave 1 in the truck but the reality is I rarely do.
I always enjoy your Golden pics!

Depends on the situation but it hunt mine both by themselves and together. If long days and many back to back more likely I hunt them in turns to keep them fresher. On our SD trip we always take one day and drop all 4 on the ground together. Now that is a trip watching 4 springers bouncing back and forth all over the place. Luckily they all are good listeners and hunt close.

If your goldens stay in range, more noses = more flushes. But you might run into problems if they take off tracking different birds. I am a pointing breed guy and have never understood the draw to hunt more that one of those at once. To me it takes away some amount of pleasure when I'm trying to keep track of more than one.

The only thing I would warn you about is when it comes to retrieving a shot bird. Years ago I hunted a young dog with my older dog that was a fantastic retriever but also very possessive of his birds. When I shot a bird over my young dog she would run to the bird, pick it up and then the older dog would come and take it away. I screwed up and allowed this to happen and over time the younger dog became a non-retriever. Don't make the same mistake I did.

With two dogs that have a strong prey drive you find they push each other and speed up out of control. One dog under control and in range is much preferred. I enjoy watching one dog just working a scent to complete a flush. If the cover conditions are abrasive and traumatize the skin and feet of the dogs, you need to rotate them on the ground. I have seen dogs so physically beat up after one day they are spent and are shut down after one day of a five day trip. I have hunted three at one time, felt like my head was on a swivel. One good dog works for me.

With two dogs that have a strong prey drive you find they push each other and speed up out of control. One dog under control and in range is much preferred. I enjoy watching one dog just working a scent to complete a flush. If the cover conditions are abrasive and traumatize the skin and feet of the dogs, you need to rotate them on the ground. I have seen dogs so physically beat up after one day they are spent and are shut down after one day of a five day trip. I have hunted three at one time, felt like my head was on a swivel. One good dog works for me.
Prey drive..speed up out of control???
Not if properly trained!!
Sorry but…two dogs under control is twice as good!

Unfortunately most hunting dogs I observe are not properly trained. And even some of the best trained ones will go off grid given the wrong motivation. Dogs do dog things.

Last edited:
Always hunted with two GWP's. Produced more points, but was harder to keep track of whereabouts. God help any vermin either ran into, extreme prey drive.

I had two out several years ago. The older one got birdie and went left. The younger one got birdie and went right. I followed the older one and the younger one flushed the bird! Plus, there’s only 1 to keep track of if there’s only 1 out. I do mainly hunt by myself as well. If there’s another hunter without a dog, then I’ll bring two.

Hi, I'm just wondering the differences you've seen from hunting with one bird dog and then adding another to the mix? I've been hunting with a field bred golden for 3 seasons now. We both were new to hunting and learned together. I think she learned pretty quick and I've always been happy to have her. No formal training, but she is obedient and biddable for the most part. We put up more birds together than I would alone for sure. Now there's another dog in the mix. Same breed, she will be right at a year when pheasant hunting opens. Hunting two retrievers together what are your thoughts? Drop both at every stop, alternate, really any observations you have I'm thankful to hear. There's a lot of great info on this site, I appreciate all who contribute. View attachment 3879View attachment 3880
Bob: Can't imagine keeping track of two high-powered Golden's. I just have one...more than enough dog to keep up with, as he's a hunting machine.

My experience with two GWPS. With GPS collars now, you don't have to spend nearly as much time watching the dogs which means more time just watching the air for flushes or ground for tracks. And the only thing better than seeing a pointing dog locked up on a bird, is a one locked up with another dog honoring.

Just make sure you don't let the young pup only follow the older dog the whole time. They don't learn independence that way. I love getting them to separate and thus cover twice the ground. An definitely follow the rule of whichever dog flushes, gets the retrieve. Letting one dominate means that other stops caring.

Last season I hunted both of my Springer's together. One hunts like the windshield wipers are stuck on high. The other hunts slower, so it hasn't been an issue hunting them together. I added another pup last winter. He is also a high octane dog. Although all my dogs hunt close, I think it would be a struggle to keep track of both of the high energy dogs at the same time, if I was hunting by myself. I had not planned to have all three on the ground at once. I added the third dog to allow myself more time in the field.

I took the dogs out today for some water work. AKA, we went swimming. Thanks for all the posts. I ran into the exact problem mentioned, the older more experienced dog was hogging all the retrieves and being possessive. I will research this and try and nip it in the bud! Now that I think of it, my uncle has always had a single black lab. Years ago he had two sisters(this is before I hunted). He told me the dominant gal would always hold back and stay by him as he walked his marsh and bluestem. As soon as the submissive lab got birdy, then the dominant sister would start to hunt, and often steal the flush and/or retrieve.snr.JPGsnr2.JPG

Back