Ethics

pheasantaddict

When to shoot and when not to shoot? What should be the determining factor? It's not the number of shells left in your gun. I went pheasant hunting Sunday the last day of the Iowa season on a small parcel of public ground. I found 2 dead bucks and 1 partially eaten deer. I also saw 2 wounded deer, 1 shot in the back leg and another leaving a blood trail. In years past, I had a lab that was a retrieving machine. He would always find crippled ducks or pheasants that other people had shot while we were hunting. I remember one time he found 7 dead and/or crippled ducks in a 1/4 mile when we were walking around a marsh. I finally left because I was disgusted. If you field dress animals, don't leave their remains in the parking area. It looks bad to hunters and non hunters. I know most on this forum are not the target audience, but when you come across those who are let them know.

Good Idea. I once was just leaving for work, I pulled to the end of the driveway and noticed one of the neighbors employee's tossing white bags out in the public hunting as far as he could throw from the road. I rolled down the window and hollared "what the H are ya doin"? he replied Just tossing out some fish guts. I said awfull lot of gut's, as he tossed about 10 bags. No harm he said. I said Bull S, what about the plastic and other crap in the bags, not to mention the smell and my dogs getting into it. I gave him the choice of picking it all up or talking to Barny. He apoligised and said your right. He then had to walk around out there and clean it up. What a goof ball. There are dumpsters where he works. And I am sure he most likely has garbage disposal service at home, unless he throws that out somewhere too. That kind of stuff makes me mad.
Another time someone dumped a huge truck load of old shingles at a WMA parking lot. It could have been dumped at our Landfill 10 miles away for less then 20$.

Last edited:
Those plastic bags from the grocery store are very handy to use as gut bags. Just put as much of the feathers/wings/skin/head/innards as you can keep off the ground into the bag, tie it off and deposit in the next dumpster you come to.

Leave little to no trace.:thumbsup:

pitiful!

reminds me of a time i was going hunting at hillsdale and as i am stepping in the field between the posts they always have you walk through there was about 4 or 5 mallard ducks on the ground some low life just got done hunting killing and oh well that was fun out the window they go SAD! I must admit i dont keep most of what i shoot but it dont get thrown over my shoulder it gets given away.

Actually, I should expand on that comment. My guess is that a lot if not most big game turned in through game processors as part of a hunter feeding the needy program would get consumed and not wasted. Another example from Alaska - the outfitter I use for fly out rafting/fishing trips has a list of locals that request food donations from the fly out hunters that he serves. But I worry that a lot of pheasants given away by hunters are accepted out of politeness and never consumed. I know guys that shoot a lot of birds but never eat a single one; they give them all away. I have to admit that is just a suspicion on my part that these are not all consumed. I would be interested to know if any state wildlife agency has ever looked into what percentage of game birds that are given away actually are consumed.

Legacy

It's nice to hear the passion and responsibility we have out there still. The more I hear about hunters taking the high road the more confident I feel my son will have some excellent hunting opportunities in the future. It's nice to be a part of a great group of hunters.

Fresh "Food" For Thought!!!

Here's some fresh "food" for thought: I have given away a LOT of wild game over my lifetime from fish to birds to big-game meat (not all or even near even half of mine - because I love to eat it myself & would not bother hunting or feel good about it if not).

BUT, one major difference between me & most of the hunters I see "giving meat away", is that I THOROUGHLY PROCESS, CLEAN & PACKAGE THE MEAT BEFORE GIVING IT AWAY!!! The only exception to this rule is when it is given to someone I already know very well who are good ol' lowly, salt-of-earth country folk like me - who already know the ropes & are not afraid to get their hands dirty! I have even gotten non-hunting people who are somewhat-squeamish about eating wild-game turned on by this!!! :thumbsup:

I can tell you from too many times observing other slobs do it (and hearing about it afterward) - that dropping a dead deer or pile of birds on somebody's porch to get it off your conscience because you are either in too much of a hurry or too lazy to clean it yourself - OFTEN does not get utilized by other people & leaves a terribly bad name for hunters/hunting (especially if given too often to a non-hunter - or come to think of it, even a fellow hunter for that matter)!!! :mad: Think about it - would you want an instantaneous & unexpected bloody job to do dropped on your porch even once, much less repeatedly - UNLESS you were truly Starvin' Marvin???

Last edited:
I agree with Hen. Any birds that I give away are already cleaned and ready to go in the fridge, freezer or frying pan.

I never give away "green" game. I always clean, filet harvested game. The only exception is when I am hunting with the land owner and ask them if they want any of my birds when we finish a hunt. If they yes, They get the bird(s). Most are better at processing game than me.

Back