Enthusiastic retrieve.

BrownDogsCan2

My cbr Roo is a little over 10 weeks. She will retrieve bumpers not necessarily to hand (I usually have to cut her off. I started with a glove and she is crazy about it. At this point she'll jump into my lap at a full sprint with it. The problem I have is she drops it mid air right before contact and tries to take a chunk out of my arm. How do I keep that enthusiasm and curb the biting.

My cbr Roo is a little over 10 weeks. She will retrieve bumpers not necessarily to hand (I usually have to cut her off. I started with a glove and she is crazy about it. At this point she'll jump into my lap at a full sprint with it. The problem I have is she drops it mid air right before contact and tries to take a chunk out of my arm. How do I keep that enthusiasm and curb the biting.

Why would you let a puppy jump into your lap on a retrieve? You are creating a problem First, I would never expect or require a 10 week old puppy to retrieve to hand. Retrieving should be fun and kept to a minimum at this stage. A couple of times per week is all that is needed. Let the puppy parade around with the bumper in her mouth and praise the heck out the dog with sincerity. By allowing the puppy to jump into your lap while retrieving is asking a 10 week old puppy to do 2 things at once, which is confusing the dog. She doesn't know what you want. What program are you following and what are your goals? You need to follow a program such as "Smart Works". I will attach a link below for you. You can't just blindly train dog with bits and pieces from different trainers and here say. Pick a program and follow it to a "T". Allowing the puppy to bite your arm is going to cause problems down the road.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/smforrevoiba.html

Last edited:
I don't expect her to retrieve to hand and if she doesn't bring it to me so be it. That will take care if itself. But I will try to cut her off coming out of the water. I also try to keep distractions to a minimum. The jumping and biting is all her. What am I supposed to do give her the knee,, on a retrieve. Kind of defeats the whole make it fun doesn't it. The glove is gone shortly. She is to small to handle a bumper well. Her enthusiasm is great . I don't want to take it away, what started as, oh your such a good girl, praise, encouragement, has gotten out of hand. She is over stimulated. How can I take her back to the edge and maintain control.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is only throw the glove a 2-3 times every 2-3 days or less. Do Not Overdo It!! Other than that let the pup be a pup.

We are going to be gone at the end of the week for 10 days. When we get back she will be 12 weeks and basic Obedience is going start I can't stay home and I can't take her with me. So I have been trying to squeeze all this puppy time in to a couple of weeks. It has been tough to back off on the retrieving As it is we have only been doing it every other day for the most part.

Jumping on you...you might try turning your body away when the dog gets close. I wouldn't allow any form of jumping on you or anyone. This seems to work in the short run...

Good luck with your puppy!

Every dog is different and unique! That is what makes it fun for us. We aren't sure what is going on in that little head at times. I suggest a small paint roller. It acts like a bumper but is light and easy to carry. She may be a dog that is always excited to show you here latest retrieve. That is better than a dog who takes the bird and runs off to eat it! You always gotta look for the bright side in these little guys. Have fun!

I don't expect her to retrieve to hand and if she doesn't bring it to me so be it. That will take care if itself. But I will try to cut her off coming out of the water. I also try to keep distractions to a minimum. The jumping and biting is all her. What am I supposed to do give her the knee,, on a retrieve. Kind of defeats the whole make it fun doesn't it. The glove is gone shortly. She is to small to handle a bumper well. Her enthusiasm is great . I don't want to take it away, what started as, oh your such a good girl, praise, encouragement, has gotten out of hand. She is over stimulated. How can I take her back to the edge and maintain control.

You pinch the lip against the tooth and command "No". A 10 week old puppy is not to small to handle a bumper. I use a paint roller when they are 8 weeks or so then progress to the bumper. They do make small bumpers you know! Curious as to what program you are using starting basic obedience at 3 months? While formal obedience doesn't usually start until 5 or 6 months, learning the obedience commands usually starts around 8 weeks with treats. While learning obedience commands and retrieving should be fun, you have to apply structure and that starts by following a proven program. Whether it is Lardy, Graham, Dahls, etc. Trying to squeeze stuff in is not training. I don't want to be critical but when you ask on a forum that is what you get. Dogs are just like teaching kids in the classroom. When my students are doing things I don't want them to do or are not learning, it is almost always because of me. Same with dogs. Throw to much at that puppy at once and she will shut down on you.

You ask the question: How can I take her back to the edge and maintain control? Well you can't until you have defined your training program. What are your weekly goals and how are you going to get there? What methods are you using?

Last edited:
You pinch the lip against the tooth and command "No". A 10 week old puppy is not to small to handle a bumper. I use a paint roller when they are 8 weeks or so then progress to the bumper. They do make small bumpers you know! Curious as to what program you are using starting basic obedience at 3 months? While formal obedience doesn't usually start until 5 or 6 months, learning the obedience commands usually starts around 8 weeks with treats. While learning obedience commands and retrieving should be fun, you have to apply structure and that starts by following a proven program. Whether it is Lardy, Graham, Dahls, etc. Trying to squeeze stuff in is not training. I don't want to be critical but when you ask on a forum that is what you get. Dogs are just like teaching kids in the classroom. When my students are doing things I don't want them to do or are not learning, it is almost always because of me. Same with dogs. Throw to much at that puppy at once and she will shut down on you.

You ask the question: How can I take her back to the edge and maintain control? Well you can't until you have defined your training program. What are your weekly goals and how are you going to get there? What methods are you using?

To answer a few of your questions. You know well I am not using a defined program although I do use some Dahl. If you ask what my training philosophy I'd say I lean a little towards Tarrant. You know the whole don't just think like a dog you have to be the dog. A little hokey yes.
I'm squeezing time in not stuff. When your introducing basic I'm working on socialization. Up to now. Its been crate training. House breaking. Sit to a hand signal, and come to her name. I consider basic to be when you transition to a verbal command. Some other things we have worked . Walks on and off lead. Proper position on lead. Walks along traffic which I believe builds confidence. Water, slack and current. She has found her stroke . Bumper retrieve in water. I use a black and white octagon shaped avery. It is smaller than a standard small. She is a small puppy for her age and I don't see the point in using it on land when she does not handle it well. Introduction to a boat(kayak), sit still you don't always get your way. Crate training on the water if you will. Introduction to friends and family cats and dogs and lots of kids.
What I want. A dog that has a head on her shoulders.Confidence ,independence, teamwork. A dog that hunts for me because she wants to not because I tell her to. One who thinks I am the center of the universe. Who lives for the flush and the gun and the retrieve. Lol that sounded just like Tarrant.
Goals, to me marking is number 1. Drive and bird sense number 2. everything else 3rd.
What I'm working for at present. I want her hunting by mid Dec. As a friend put it the other day, we were talking about me getting a pup. He said don't worry about it man you have always had some birdy ass bitches.

To answer a few of your questions. You know well I am not using a defined program although I do use some Dahl. If you ask what my training philosophy I'd say I lean a little towards Tarrant. You know the whole don't just think like a dog you have to be the dog. A little hokey yes.
I'm squeezing time in not stuff. When your introducing basic I'm working on socialization. Up to now. Its been crate training. House breaking. Sit to a hand signal, and come to her name. I consider basic to be when you transition to a verbal command. Some other things we have worked . Walks on and off lead. Proper position on lead. Walks along traffic which I believe builds confidence. Water, slack and current. She has found her stroke . Bumper retrieve in water. I use a black and white octagon shaped avery. It is smaller than a standard small. She is a small puppy for her age and I don't see the point in using it on land when she does not handle it well. Introduction to a boat(kayak), sit still you don't always get your way. Crate training on the water if you will. Introduction to friends and family cats and dogs and lots of kids.
What I want. A dog that has a head on her shoulders.Confidence ,independence, teamwork. A dog that hunts for me because she wants to not because I tell her to. One who thinks I am the center of the universe. Who lives for the flush and the gun and the retrieve. Lol that sounded just like Tarrant.
Goals, to me marking is number 1. Drive and bird sense number 2. everything else 3rd.
What I'm working for at present. I want her hunting by mid Dec. As a friend put it the other day, we were talking about me getting a pup. He said don't worry about it man you have always had some birdy ass bitches.

I would assume that is what most every hunter wants. Now you just have to lay out how to get there and the training techniques you will use. More importantly, what approaches and techniques you will use when road blocks occur. This is what separates what you want from what you will end up with. That is why I think it is important to follow a specific program. It makes it much easier fix problems when you follow a step by step plan. Good Luck!

Myself, I have always used pheasant wings for the first four months of a pups life, get's them acquainted to feathers, scent. Like mentioned prior, do not over do it. Also, I have ALWAYS used a check cord from the beginning, that way you have control of the situation, not the pup. My two dogs are vastly different when it comes to fetching, my GWP could do it all day, everyday, no matter what the conditions, my LM will retrieve when told to or upon shot, but is not near as enthusiastic as the gwp, just like people, they are all different....

Update,, we are setting right at 5 months of age right now and I have just started getting comfortable with where she is at with her retrieve and feel we are working as a team now. Looking forward to putting a polish on it and stretching it out a bit. Thanks for your help guys.

Back