Emergency haying.

Guys with local knowledge, how much emergency haying (EH)has already taken place? I remember pulling into one of my favorite public spots a few years ago, and it was all mowed. I’ve read some reports of EH taking place. Just wanted to confirm, or rebute the doom n gloom reports. Don’t forget your duck stamp purchase, and contributions to pheasants forever! We need to support two of the most important things for keeping habitat on the ground!

A lot. The really troubling part is that it's not just CRP being hayed. They are rolling up cattails too in many places.

If it can be reached with a baler or mower it's going to be leveled this year. EH opens the door wide open and it's taken full advantage of. It happens every dry year and the birds and public land hunter get the short end of the stick. What little habitat remains is going to get pounded.

Guys please remember that is one of the incentives that gets people to enroll in CRP. If that was not part of the deal there would be less enrolled in CRP. CRP does not come close to comparing with rent. Would you rather have CRP that 2/3rds of it gets cut in drought years or have it in corn and beans. You should be thankful that is there instead of more cropland because it provides nesting which corn and beans don't. The negative is that it can't be cut until August.

i think part of the beef is now with the $25 habitat stamp too. i doubt any thing was added except that money went into someone's pocket .

If it can be reached with a baler or mower it's going to be leveled this year. EH opens the door wide open and it's taken full advantage of. It happens every dry year and the birds and public land hunter get the short end of the stick. What little habitat remains is going to get pounded.
agree, the competition, just to find a place to hunt is going to be horrific, especially opening weekend.
i was going to come, but now i think i will pass. Walking over guys is not worth it.

i think part of the beef is now with the $25 habitat stamp too. i doubt any thing was added except that money went into someone's pocket .
Oh no, if you read the propaganda on the 2021 ring neck report, it promises that that $ was used to add habitat…shame on me last summer for sharing with this group that licenses could be bought before a certain date in July and avoid that $25 fee….🤪🥳😝

I would rather see the gov’t increase payments for farmers to leave set aside ground instead of supporting layabouts with Medicaid, section 8, and EBT.
I see you. 🙄
One program has NOTHING to do with the other. But you couldn't resist, could you?
Chase anyone not a resident.
Hunt pheasant and to hell with anyone old, poor, or a young single parent.
The world needs bastards, too, l guess.

You have a mental problem, skippy. Don’t let me under your skin so badly.

The original poster asked a question which I answered truthfully. Nothing to do with res/non-res.

I am a bastard because I do not support giving money that people worked for to people that choose not to put forth effort? If that’s your calculus then I’m guilty.

You don't see gray. Only black and white. You've lumped an entire group of divergent people into one, layabouts. There are many reasons for people to utilize these programs and for you to pass them off as bums.
You don't get under my skin, it's way too thick.
But I will continue to call you out.

This thread was about haying. OP asked if locals could talk about % of ground hayed, NOT where is all the more money going. So no, you didn't answer the question.

Let's not confuse who derailed it.

Seeing gray is why we are 30 trillion in debt and currently seen as untrustworthy on the world stage.
Was the world better off when people were tougher and more self sufficient or are we better off today when the govt bails everyone out? That’s rhetorical, I don’t really care to hear your position on that question.

Guys please remember that is one of the incentives that gets people to enroll in CRP. If that was not part of the deal there would be less enrolled in CRP. CRP does not come close to comparing with rent. Would you rather have CRP that 2/3rds of it gets cut in drought years or have it in corn and beans. You should be thankful that is there instead of more cropland because it provides nesting which corn and beans don't. The negative is that it can't be cut until August.
I'm with you.
I don't hunt pheasants in order to feed my family. Its a recreation. Something I do for enjoyment. I have benefitted for decades from CRP,CREP and public hunting areas and so have pheasants.
If the farmers are playing by the established rules and are EH to feed their livestock which allows them to feed their family, pay their bills, send kids to college, I don't have any reason to complain.
I'm pretty sure the farmers would largely prefer not being in a drought year and needing to cut hay on marginal land.
The livestock that's produced - it helps feed my family.
I take my ribeye medium rare.

I think we better just enjoy the hunting we have, hayed or not.

As Dylan said,
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows."

IMO, pheasant hunting for the common man is on the way out. Various factors as mentioned above but I think we've all seen the huntable pheasant land available to the common working man shrink a bit every year over the last decade or more.

Is Turner upset? Heck no, they’re good friends, plus Malone’s 2.2 million acres owned is only 200,000 more acres than Turner.

Turner only lets his rich friends hunt his land and it is quite pricey.

Long time ago when I could sprint up the CO mountains on an elk hunt <cough>, a wise old man told me go every year you can because the day will come when you can no long climb those mountains. I may have ONE more elk hunt in me but I have quite a few pheasant hunts left in me.

I plan to get out there rain or shine, hay or no hay. I hope you do the same.

Seeing gray is why we are 30 trillion in debt and currently seen as untrustworthy on the world stage.
Was the world better off when people were tougher and more self sufficient or are we better off today when the govt bails everyone out? That’s rhetorical, I don’t really care to hear your position on that question.
...the world was tougher...?
Guess what blab, for 80% of the world's population, it's still tough.
Lived with them for two years with the Peace Corp.
You don't have the faintest.

As long as you spout your idiocy, it ain't rhetorical.

I had to look up the
meaning that fancy word idiocy "extremely stupid behavior "
How so?
You sound like one of those big silicon valley companies that wants and is censoring conservative talk.

Back