Eastern South Dakota

It was great last week, but weather moving in starting Monday.

In my area, essentially no snow yet. Rainy Christmas weekend, but that actually helped. Put pheasants where you could find them. Weedy thickets. Not sloughs or grass. But if we don't get significant snow soon, January's going to be difficult, unless you get some good private land that hadn't been pressured. Also need some extended cold temps so we can walk on water. We had ice, but we've lost it.

There now, virtually no snow other than a crust…much dirt showing…
I just hunted eastern sd.Some deep snow, crust, ice was good. Very spooky,smart birds.I did get one bird on private land, none on public land. Lots of snow around aberdeen, and up north.Crusty, loud, difficult. It was a workout. On public,I was outsmarted several times by educated roosters.Had fun, but its a learning curve. I knocked on a few doors, and met some great people. One farmer put me into a few roosters.I didn't see a whole lot between Mitchell and north.

Those huge shelter belts look really good.Private land I would think.I want to hunt one sometime.Most. farms have them.Some are really thick. I hunted a WPA on a frozen lake.Busted my hump to get way back in there. 6 birds flushed wild.1 rooster. That whole huge place,I only saw 6 birds.Surounded by corn,thick cattails. Maybe they were in there,but I doubt it. It was deep,drifted snow.Beautiful pheasant habitat, but no birds.

My impression of eastern Dakota is this:I like all the shelter belts and cattail areas. Corn is everywhere. The public land has very smart birds.I actually walked very close to 3 roosters who did not fly. They moved 20 yards,and my dog didn't know they were there.Very smooth move. I had fun, it was very challenging.

My impression of eastern Dakota is this:I like all the shelter belts and cattail areas. Corn is everywhere. The public land has very smart birds.I actually walked very close to 3 roosters who did not fly. They moved 20 yards,and my dog didn't know they were there.Very smooth move. I had fun, it was very challenging.
Next year, me, you, and B Banger are going on a walk together just outside Huron.

Back