East River Deer Season this weekend

Planning on heading out East River this weekend which conincides with east river deer. Planning on hunting small public’s. Will wear plenty of blaze on myself and dogs. Should I cancel ? Using Mitchell as home base.

What is the difference between deer hunting and predator hunting in SD?

You have to get out of the truck to shoot at deer (legally anyway)

I just pulled the plug on going. I spoke with warden for county I was planning on hunting in. He Suggested I wait until Monday or until after Dec3. Most of the public I hunt have groves in them and I see plenty of deer stands out.

About got plugged during Iowa slug chucker season once
You almost got shot? Yikes.

That would make me never want to go again during that time frame. There are a lot of dumb and reckless hunters out there and 95% of them are afield during the firearms deer gun season it seems.

In SD, you can’t pheasant hunt til 10, much of the deer “hunting“ is done by then. Most drive around in the morning and shoot from pickups as they chase the deer.

You almost got shot? Yikes.
Yeah, that was maybe 18-20 yrs ago, around Ogden, IA. My dog & I were hunting a public area, out in the open snow, walking between little sloughs. I was wearing orange. Dog boinging around. We were very visible. I'd seen a truck drive by my own parked truck & park at the opposite corner of the area a short while earlier. 2 guys started walking a shelterbelt. Didn't think too much of it, as I hadn't planned to get too far over that direction. Then a buck runs out of the shelterbelt right at us & keeps coming. They start shooting, at the time maybe 250 yds from me. I'm waving my arms like mad. (Maybe should've just hit the deck.) I had a couple slugs hit the snow within probably 15 yds of me. I screamed myself hoarse in a matter of a few seconds. Anyway, my dog Walt & I turned around & headed for the truck. We drove around to where they'd parked & they were just putting their guns in the truck. I parked right behind their truck, rolled my window down, & just sat there in disbelief. One guy apologized somewhat profusely. The other said I had no business hunting pheasants on public ground during deer season. I might have called him something fairly unflattering, & drove away to hunt somewhere else.

What is the difference between deer hunting and predator hunting in SD?

You have to get out of the truck to shoot at deer (legally anyway)
In Eastern montana, these rednecks never walk while deer hunting. They flush deer with pick up trucks or 4 wheelers,which is illegal.

Back