Dying/Waxing Traps

1pheas4

So a few weeks ago I went out and bought a few new traps for this fall:thumbsup:. Anyway, a neighbor came by and told me I have to dye and wax my new traps:confused:.

I was told to boil them then let them rust, which I have, but I don't know a thing about dying and waxing. For that matter, how often do I have to do this within a season?

If someone can share some know-how on this subject I would appreciate it;)

Thank you!

Nick

You did not specify what type of trap or species you are targeting, so I will assume for leghold traps.

Get a old wasH tub fill 3/4 with water & start boiling it out side. I use an old heater element that I adapted to a 5 gal propane tank. Add dye or what I use is pecan leaves and paper shells pecan hulls. Bring traps and water to a boil. I let my traps set for a few days in the water. Then I reboil traps and add black wax depending on what type of traps/ game. When wax has melted turn off heating element and slowly remove traps, as the wax will be at the top of the water. Hang traps typically outside. I leave mine outside as not to pick up any odors.

Trapping dye
http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Trap+Preparation+Trap+Tags/Trap+Dyes+Dips/

Trapping wax
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Black+Trap+Wax

Your call on the wax but not really needed for Yotes.

What type of traps did you purchase?

Just get some speed dip its called. Saves you a butt load of time and work. Does the job just fine. Done it for years. Most everyone I know uses speed dip.:thumbsup:

That's the name of the stuff my dad and I have used in the past. I read this question this morning and have been trying to think of the name of that stuff all day.

Dip vs. dye & wax is an argument that will never die. You'll have to try & make your own choice. I know many trappers who do each. Personally, I prefer the dye (in pecans or walnuts) & wax. To me, it's part of the "process", and wax also makes a trap "faster", because it acts somewhat as a lubricant. And....I am one who doesn't want a petroleum-based product on my traps.

Being outdoors boiling traps in the fall gives you some time to let your imagination go and think about how much closer to your ancestors, and how much better place the world was 100 years ago....

Thanks for the tips guys;) Okiegunner, I bought legholds, conibears, and dog proof coon traps. I've rusted them all out. Should I have only done this with the legholds?

Thanks for the tips guys;) Okiegunner, I bought legholds, conibears, and dog proof coon traps. I've rusted them all out. Should I have only done this with the legholds?

Rusting them out helps with the blackening (dyeing) process. Not sure I would wax the coon cuffs though.

I use the JC Conner "Jake" trap that has rubber jaw pads. If you boil a rubber jaw trap just don't go to hot or you could ruin the rubber.

Good luck

I let all of mine get a patina, then speed dip.:thumbsup: Hope for a great season. Sure has been getting over populated with coon around here. I hope with fur up the trappers will get out in bigger numbers this year. Sure helps pheasant populations and nest survival.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I have one area that's a mess with coons. Unfortunately with all the mud last fall, I couldn't get back there to trap until the cold came. The ground finally froze but most furry critters stopped moving. It was a bust for me.

It's a nice area that had birds but a neighboring property (attached to the habitat) went vacant. Coons took over all the buildings and multiplied like crazy:eek: Every since, the land owner has only seen one rooster. He wont let me pheasant hunt it until their numbers come back up. I'm thinking if I thin out the coon population that should bring them back. We'll see what this season brings.:cheers:

Nick

Some folks just don't understand the importance of the trapper and nest survival. Too many skunks and coon, = way less pheasants= reality. The places we trap and keep them at bay, are by far my best pheasant hunting spots.:thumbsup:

We used an old Coleman propane stove and an old kettle to boil, dye and wax or 1s, 1.5s. and 2s. You can move through 2 dozen traps very quickly.

Say some 30+ years ago we boiled traps on Thanksgiving day :eek: (in the garage of course).

I grew up dying traps every fall using logwood crystals or powder. I never have waxed a trap in all these years. Some time back in the 80's I used Speed Dip for the first time. I really liked it for my water line. I might balk on using it for coyotes, but I did anyway. Seems to hold up great! I'm sure missing the longer lines of my youth. Pretty sure that the old body couldn't take the lines I used to run. I'd still like to try!

I grew up dying traps every fall using logwood crystals or powder. I never have waxed a trap in all these years. Some time back in the 80's I used Speed Dip for the first time. I really liked it for my water line. I might balk on using it for coyotes, but I did anyway. Seems to hold up great! I'm sure missing the longer lines of my youth. Pretty sure that the old body couldn't take the lines I used to run. I'd still like to try!

:thumbsup::D I hear ya. I used to run about a hundred 220 box sets, 100 or so rat and mink sets, 30-40 fox sets. And a few beaver sets if someone had trouble with them. Never yet have I caught a yote or set for one. Never ever caught one in a fox set. They are pretty smart critters. Guess that's why there is so many. My most memorable catch to date is an otter I have tanned. Only one I ever caught. Lots of them around, it is surprising people don't catch more. Just goes to show how good trappers use the target methods to catch what they are after and not other things :thumbsup:.

We do have otter in Kansas, but they are further east. I do prefer the water line. Must stem from frozen ground and how hard that is to deal with. I love them beaver. Plenty of stories there! In Feb of '13, I was having trouble with some plugging up the only water source to the lake. Went in on the 4th and set 6 coni's. Next morning I had 6 adult beaver. I reset 1 more day and caught the other 2, also adults. Half of the batch were black, one was chocolate, and the others were the normal red tinged. Sent the finished plews to NAFA and got a top of $46! Best I've seen in 42 years of undressing them:) I've always finished my fur. A buyer showed me how he wanted them when I was 12 and I've been doing them since. Fun to go in to a buyer who is looking over a load of wet, muddy carcass fur and have him turn on heel to buy your finished goods for top price in front of the guys with the pile that won't get 1/5 the money. There is something special about wading the creek in the dark anticipating the next catch! Can lead to some exciting encounters! Wish I had video of some of those!!!

I dyed my traps in black walnut shells, big iron pot on a campfire. Never did wax, but could see it would have been better for water sets. I liked all the leg hold variations, double under spring traps, all sizes of long spring traps. Never did get comfortable with Conibear traps, but I am sure they worked! I had bird dogs, and beagles, shutter to think of an altercation. Otters were on the closed list, skunks are ....problematic! Muskrats were like 2.00 a piece, but a decent stream run you would have hundreds. Minks were around $20.00+, foxes around $15.00 for red, less for gray. at one point coyotes and bobcats were $300.00! Blanket Beaver in good fur had great demand. One point of trapping, bobcats look huge! but when skinned look like malnourished cat, beavers on the other hand are bigger than they look! lugging the wet 50# beaver out of the flood swollen creek. Most of the good beaver trapping was way late, after other seasons are over. Sent all furs to St. Louis to be graded and sold at various fur houses, don't know if the even exist currently. With the distaste of current fashion I would be hard to believe. Most of our furs go over seas.

he next catch! Can lead to some exciting encounters! Wish I had video of some of those!!!

It's a great feeling walking up on a trap and seeing fur:). I love it. Wish I could trap more than I do. Almost enjoy it as much as hunting.

Nick

Back