Dummy Launcher Question

cockerfan

I watched Nimrod using the Lucky Launcher with his dogs and realized I need to be me one of them things! I'd like to get a cheaper model if I can get away with it and still get good performance though. Does anyone have any experience with the Retriev-R-Trainer dummy launcher, or have any other suggestions? I want to make sure I get something that actually launchers the dummy further than I can throw it.

I've had the same one for 20 yrs - works like a charm! :thumbsup:
Have trained all my labs pretty much by myself from the ground up all the way to multiple marks & blinds for waterfowl & quartering/flushing for upland (with no helpers/bird-boys) & couldn't have done the long marks & steady to retrieve without one. Best dog-training investment I ever made for a small-time regular Joe with no help! You can get 3 levels of loads/shells (yellow/green/red) & two different kinds of dummies to shoot - if you use the hot load & one of the smaller plastic dummies instead of the larger canvas ones (which can also be had with a flapper to simulate wing movement) AND keep a fresh O-ring on the launcher, your dog better either be smart or pretty advanced - mine will shoot the plastic dummy 200-300 yds for the dog to have to go thru any combo of land & water terrain to retrieve it! :eek: The land/water/remote training set-up possibilities are endless... :D

I have a friend in TX who has a different kind of dummy-launcher altogether which will hold 4 dummies, you can point them in different directions & it operates by remote control - nice tool, but it ain't cheap like the handheld. Personally I like the cheap/simple handheld unit better, still has more possibilities over the fancier one...I can sit my dog beside me & make him watch & wait on triple-marks in different directions or sit him remote 100 yds away from me & make him mark & wait for release while I shoot long-range dummies even further away from him. :)

Oh, just MAKE SURE you learn how to shoot the thing properly backhanded with it pointed out of the bottom side of your hand (pinkie-finger end) & your elbow bent for recoil - UNLESS you like a lotta kick shooting it stiffly out of the front (thumb/forefinger) side of your hand with no room for recoil absorbsion!!! :eek: This is the biggest gripe I've heard about a hand-held dummy launcher, mostly because guys don't know how to shoot one or don't read directions & do it backasswards... :rolleyes:

Retriev-R-Trainer :thumbsup:

P.S. You do happen to have a very good professional retriever trainer right there in your own backyard in Aubrey, TX - 'Toiga Retrievers' (Angie Long). Not cheap though! She actually did a couple months boarding/training for me with my last two dogs while I was in sudden limbo/transition with a totally unexpected cross-country-move/job-change & didn't wanna lose that crucial time with young pups ( the only time I have ever paid for any professional training - not that I'm opposed, simply can't afford it - the force-fetch part was worth it's weight in gold though).

Last edited:
Retriev-R-Trainer :thumbsup:

P.S. You do happen to have a very good professional retriever trainer right there in your own backyard in Aubrey, TX - 'Toiga Retrievers' (Angie Long). Not cheap though! She actually did a couple months boarding/training for me with my last two dogs while I was in sudden limbo/transition with a totally unexpected cross-country-move/job-change & didn't wanna lose that crucial time with young pups ( the only time I have ever paid for any professional training - not that I'm opposed, simply can't afford it - the force-fetch part was worth it's weight in gold though).

Thanks for the info, I think I've found the launcher I'm going to buy.

I've actually met Angie before. She definitely uses different techniques for training than I do, but I have heard that she is very good. Seems like a very nice person too. But, I'm doing the training myself...if I sent them off to a trainer, what would I do in the evenings? :D

Seems like a very nice person too. But, I'm doing the training myself...if I sent them off to a trainer, what would I do in the evenings? :D

I wasn't suggesting a trainer at all - I'm with you, I don't want somebody else having all my fun! :D The town Aubrey just happened to catch my eye & ring a bell...Angie bailed me out of of tight spot for a few months at a really bad transition-time in my life when I would have lost "irretrievable" (HAHA) puppy-time basics with my young dogs due to the circumstances. It's the ONLY brief time I have ever hired a professional trainer & looking back I don't regret it one bit - I was able to pick right up & build-on-it/finish-them-off soon as I got my feet solidly back on the ground! I will add that I was able to get both dogs to do all the stuff she was convinced neither one would ever do very well (that is the one major drawback to a larger professional training operation - they are usually working with anywhere from 12-24 dogs or more & really tend to focus on the ones that are gonna bring in the ribbons/acclaim vs. I can FOCUS solely on my one or two). :thumbsup:

Lemme know how the dummy-launcher works out for you - I have found mine to be a priceless tool for a solitary trainer! :cheers:

Back