Duck license

2 Labs

Hello, when we return in November to hunt and I would like to do some pothole duck hunting as well. My wife and I stay in Mitchell, so I will be hunting mostly North and Northwest of town, in the Low Plains Middle Zone. My question is about the draw on NR waterfowl licenses. When reviewing the online literature it mentions "additional November licenses are available". Does that mean if I draw a license I can add extra waterfowl hunting days or does the Parks dept lift the quota on NR licenses in November if they are used after the first of November. Thanks for the help!

I think what you are talking about are some of the 3 day licenses around Pierre. Some of those don't sell out. The 10 day statewide licenses do sell out. The state has the number of licenses set and that quota does not change during the hunting season. Now with that said things may be changing now so stay tuned. The area you are talking about is going to require the 00B license or the statewide 10 day license. Those will sell out and you will not be able to buy another. The Pierre licenses are specific to private land only as well.

Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.

3Car, thanks for the information. It appears without a preference point I have roughly a 50/50 chance of drawing and 100% with a point. Thanks again 2Labs

3Car, thanks for the information. It appears without a preference point I have roughly a 50/50 chance of drawing and 100% with a point. Thanks again 2Labs

Its closer to 70% chance of drawing the 10 day state wide license. I have a coworker who's uncle has been drawn 10 years out of 10. Good luck and if your turn down its 100 percent like you said next year.

2 Labs I haven't put in the last couple years but we got drawn as a group 6 out of 7 years for the statewide license. We also found that it was easier to get permission to duck hunt private ponds than it was to pheasant hunt. Nobody ever turned us down to shoot geese.

Hi all, just got an email from the GFP plus my credit card got hit...I drew a statewide waterfowl license for this fall. Looking forward to mixing up some of my hunting days. Should be a good year of experience for my two year old lab....unfortunately we had to put down our 10 year old lab July 3rd, just tough. On the upside my wife and I have already contacted the breeder we purchased Sadie through so we are planning on an addition to the family in the Spring! What a blessing to have a wife who is crazier about labs than I am. Keep safe everyone!

Let me know if you need some help. Have shot a lot of ducks north of Mitchell when there is water. Looks decent now if water holds up.

I am planning my first pheasant hunt to SD this Fall. I might look around at potential duck hunting spots too. When is the best time to combine a duck/pheasant combo for next year?

Does SD offer a full season non-resident license for waterfowl.

They have a limited license draw for out of state waterfowlers. I believe the draw has already taken place for this year. From what I gather from previous posts on this thread.

Back