Drahthaar experiences

Abbeyroad

I'm curious to hear about what it's like to own and hunt a DD. I'd especially like to hear similarities and contrasts between other breeds that you all have owned. I've been to a VDD training day and seem some in action, but that's just one day. What's it like to live with one for 12+ yrs? Thanks!

I have had three dogs. A pointing chocolate lab, a German wirehair and a DD. By far the DD was the most talented of the three. I found a really good breeder and had him professionally trained. So it is not apples to apples but the DD was awesome and had an amazing nose. He was a very intense hunter.

I heard they can be over protective, I had kids at the time so I chose a GWP and Griffon.

Wires and drats are like any other breed. The differences within the breed can be great. I've had wires and drats since the 70's, along with setters and shorthairs. I honestly think that the wires were more standard then than now. For instance, then almost all dogs were liver and ticked. They had heavy bones and were sturdy and strong. I have two now. One is short and slick, Black and white. The other is slim and dainty solid liver. Now you see a lot of black, ticked and solid liver even white. The bad; Owning them is a commitment. Do not get one if you can't exercise them every day. Lack thereof can manifest into something you don't want to see. Their size can also differ greatly. 45-100 lbs. Although in the states the desire for fur has been diminished by most breeders, it is still in a lot of them so don't be surprised if they kill the neighbor's cat. The longer coats are terrible bur collectors, so keep that in mind if your state has a lot. They can be protective and territorial. Some do not like strangers. I had one that only liked myself, my wife and my parents. I would say most do not respond well to a heavy hand. They can be kennel dogs, but I repeat, DO NOT PUT THEM IN A KENNEL AND LEAVE THEM! They must have a lot of human contact and exercise. They really flourish in the house. The good; When they look you in the eye, there is something different in there. After all these years I still can't put my finger on it. They have more facial expression than most breeds. They actually have a sense of humor that can be deviate (don't laugh if they nip you in the butt or they will think you like it). They bond very strongly with a family, but most of all with the person who hunts them. They are very intelligent. They will watch you in the house trying to anticipate your next move. They are bold, aggressive hunters with great durability. They are very good in the water although I would not send some on a great distance retrieve or put them in frigid water for long periods. They are usually close to medium range and easy to handle, adjusting their range according to being able to know where you're at. Almost all the ones I've owned excelled on cripples. In my opinion they are the best truly versatile breeds. I could go on but will only say that I believe their superiority in the field is suffering from their popularity. I hope they don't follow the direction of the Irish setter and the Weim.

I'm curious to hear about what it's like to own and hunt a DD. I'd especially like to hear similarities and contrasts between other breeds that you all have owned. I've been to a VDD training day and seem some in action, but that's just one day. What's it like to live with one for 12+ yrs? Thanks!
You probably already know that the wire and drats are the same breed with different breeding standards. The drats are bread with stricter guidelines that are closer to the original German standards. That does not mean they are better in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I drifted away from the drats because I felt I wanted more emphasis on upland and water and less on fur. My fist drat was hell on wheels and so was I in 1975! It was not uncommon for me to hunt quail all day. Be in the bottoms at dusk to shoot some ducks and pull out the flashlight and either he might kill an opossum or coon on the ground or tree one that I would shoot out.

I have had 3 Drahts, (currently have 2). My first Draht live to 14 and was a great first dog for me. I'll say they are hard core hunting dogs not for everyone. They are wicked smart and can present challenges for new owners. They learn the game quickly then can become bored or out smart you on the task. They are forgiving of training mistakes (good for new trainers like me). They are always on the hunt even when they are being lazy on the couch. All of mine were good with people, never saw any protectiveness in my 3 dogs, although I may have seen a couple that seemed protective at training days over the last 18 years of being around Drahts. They do bark when people walk by the house or the UPS guy comes but anyone could walk in our fenced yard. Like said above they need exercise, daily is best. A walk on a leash does not count. my walks are like 3 miles and the dogs will do 6 to 15 miles. They can do this every day. I dont mind the fur part of a Drahts makeup it adds to the adventure of the hunt. Kind of a "what is are they pointing?". They are hell on house cats. We've pointed bears, rattle snakes, porcupines, raccoons, mountain lion, deer, house cats, mongoose, hedge hogs, in addition to birds. My older dog learned the game of "I point rattle snakes and porcupines, you shoot them then we leave." When force fetched they will retrieve anything they find which is an experience in itself. I've gotten a worm filled rotten rabbit brought to me (I did heave a few times on that one).
Drahts are hard core hunters and not for everyone

Wires and drats are like any other breed. The differences within the breed can be great. I've had wires and drats since the 70's, along with setters and shorthairs. I honestly think that the wires were more standard then than now. For instance, then almost all dogs were liver and ticked. They had heavy bones and were sturdy and strong. I have two now. One is short and slick, Black and white. The other is slim and dainty solid liver. Now you see a lot of black, ticked and solid liver even white. The bad; Owning them is a commitment. Do not get one if you can't exercise them every day. Lack thereof can manifest into something you don't want to see. Their size can also differ greatly. 45-100 lbs. Although in the states the desire for fur has been diminished by most breeders, it is still in a lot of them so don't be surprised if they kill the neighbor's cat. The longer coats are terrible bur collectors, so keep that in mind if your state has a lot. They can be protective and territorial. Some do not like strangers. I had one that only liked myself, my wife and my parents. I would say most do not respond well to a heavy hand. They can be kennel dogs, but I repeat, DO NOT PUT THEM IN A KENNEL AND LEAVE THEM! They must have a lot of human contact and exercise. They really flourish in the house. The good; When they look you in the eye, there is something different in there. After all these years I still can't put my finger on it. They have more facial expression than most breeds. They actually have a sense of humor that can be deviate (don't laugh if they nip you in the butt or they will think you like it). They bond very strongly with a family, but most of all with the person who hunts them. They are very intelligent. They will watch you in the house trying to anticipate your next move. They are bold, aggressive hunters with great durability. They are very good in the water although I would not send some on a great distance retrieve or put them in frigid water for long periods. They are usually close to medium range and easy to handle, adjusting their range according to being able to know where you're at. Almost all the ones I've owned excelled on cripples. In my opinion they are the best truly versatile breeds. I could go on but will only say that I believe their superiority in the field is suffering from their popularity. I hope they don't follow the direction of the Irish setter and the Weim.
They don't like cats, they are intense hunters, they hunt waterfowl and upland.Nobody should ever hit a dog! You will go to hell for sure.Wirehairs are awesome dogs.

I had a wirehair he was the best dog I've owned yet, he lived to be 14. Currently I have 2 Drahts my female that is 8 and a male is 2,
both are also great dogs. I have tested and trained with NAVHDA as well as hunted lots of wild birds. Both my draths are sweet as can be especially my 2 year old male. My wirehair was less tolerant of strangers but still a good citizen. They don't like cats that's for sure, I doubt many bird dog do. My buddys pointer as racked up a substantial number of cat kills in his 5 years. Prey drive is prey drive which translates in to hunting birds drive. Bottom line is you need to have control over your dog. I also didn't socialize them to be around cats at a young age. I like the german breeding program I feel it helps you hedge your bets on getting a good dog and a healthy dog which why I went with Draths over a wirehair. Bird dude is correct they do better living inside and being with their family they also don't respond to a heavy hand There are many great wirehairs and breeders out there as well as drahts and drahthaar breeders

Last edited:
I have had 3 Drahts, (currently have 2). My first Draht live to 14 and was a great first dog for me. I'll say they are hard core hunting dogs not for everyone. They are wicked smart and can present challenges for new owners. They learn the game quickly then can become bored or out smart you on the task. They are forgiving of training mistakes (good for new trainers like me). They are always on the hunt even when they are being lazy on the couch. All of mine were good with people, never saw any protectiveness in my 3 dogs, although I may have seen a couple that seemed protective at training days over the last 18 years of being around Drahts. They do bark when people walk by the house or the UPS guy comes but anyone could walk in our fenced yard. Like said above they need exercise, daily is best. A walk on a leash does not count. my walks are like 3 miles and the dogs will do 6 to 15 miles. They can do this every day. I dont mind the fur part of a Drahts makeup it adds to the adventure of the hunt. Kind of a "what is are they pointing?". They are hell on house cats. We've pointed bears, rattle snakes, porcupines, raccoons, mountain lion, deer, house cats, mongoose, hedge hogs, in addition to birds. My older dog learned the game of "I point rattle snakes and porcupines, you shoot them then we leave." When force fetched they will retrieve anything they find which is an experience in itself. I've gotten a worm filled rotten rabbit brought to me (I did heave a few times on that one).
Drahts are hard core hunters and not for everyone
Hunted behind a good young wirehair yesterday for pheasant opener in texas. He was fun to watch, a real tall, lean and athletic dog. Favorite part for me is he had some white markings, really easy to spot in the field.

Background: I have 3 dogs, a 6yo DD, a 2yo PP, and a 12yo shepherd mutt. Bird hunt maybe 60-70 days a year, all wild birds (prairie grouse/forest grouse/phez/SW quail).

Sharpness: If I had to leave a dog around my 3yo niece, it would be the DD hands down. The most gentle and forgiving dog I've ever seen. That being said, there are DDs out there that I wouldn't trust around adults, let alone kids. And there are DDs that in all honestly should be put down they are so aggressive imho. And some of those same dogs are being bred. Pick your breeder carefully.

Hunt: She's a VC and is truly the best pheasant dog I've ever hunted behind. She is close-medium worker, perfect for the Western MN and Eastern Dakota pieces I hunt. She has an uncanny ability to pinch pressured birds. She is terrible in hot weather, perfect hunt temp around 10-15F. A good waterfowl retriever and tenacious after the shot. Tracking abilities are legit. Takes very loose hand signals, but pales compared to a good lab.

Around home: The first couple years were rough, she was a lot to handle. But that's most sporting dogs. She's calmed down very nicely, and is a lazy lazy dog. Except when she thinks a trip is coming up, then she is annoying as hell as she lays blocking the front door. She rarely gets left behind, but is always worried about it.

If you want to see some work, below is my youtube channel. Lena is the DD, Lido is the PP. You might be able to see some differences.

MissedAgain Youtube

. I dont mind the fur part of a Drahts makeup it adds to the adventure of the hunt. Kind of a "what is are they pointing?". They are hell on house cats. We've pointed bears, rattle snakes, porcupines, raccoons, mountain lion, deer, house cats,
That's what I thought! Read my post Tragedy averted with electronics.

Background: I have 3 dogs, a 6yo DD, a 2yo PP, and a 12yo shepherd mutt. Bird hunt maybe 60-70 days a year, all wild birds (prairie grouse/forest grouse/phez/SW quail).

Sharpness: If I had to leave a dog around my 3yo niece, it would be the DD hands down. The most gentle and forgiving dog I've ever seen. That being said, there are DDs out there that I wouldn't trust around adults, let alone kids. And there are DDs that in all honestly should be put down they are so aggressive imho. And some of those same dogs are being bred. Pick your breeder carefully.

Hunt: She's a VC and is truly the best pheasant dog I've ever hunted behind. She is close-medium worker, perfect for the Western MN and Eastern Dakota pieces I hunt. She has an uncanny ability to pinch pressured birds. She is terrible in hot weather, perfect hunt temp around 10-15F. A good waterfowl retriever and tenacious after the shot. Tracking abilities are legit. Takes very loose hand signals, but pales compared to a good lab.

Around home: The first couple years were rough, she was a lot to handle. But that's most sporting dogs. She's calmed down very nicely, and is a lazy lazy dog. Except when she thinks a trip is coming up, then she is annoying as hell as she lays blocking the front door. She rarely gets left behind, but is always worried about it.

If you want to see some work, below is my youtube channel. Lena is the DD, Lido is the PP. You might be able to see some differences.

MissedAgain Youtube
Hey, I've seen some of your vids! Dang I'm getting a list of guys I'm subscribed to from here!

I've always had GWPs over the last 35 years,but a very good friend bought a Drat. Beautiful dog. She and her husband were going on a trip and asked me to work with the dog while they were gone. When she returned to pick up the pup, we took a walk along the crik. A wood duck popped up and Citori ( the DD) had her first retrieve, to the delight of my friend. I also had the privilege of shooting a pheasant earlier in the visit and Citori had pointed and held like a pro.The retrieving came later. She went on to become a wonderful bird dog.

The sad/bad part was later in her life, maybe around 9 y/o or so, they dropped her off and asked me to work with her because she was becoming fiercely defensive to them when she was in her crate. First day or so, everything was fine. The second, she was resting in her crate and I called to her, but got no response. I bent down to check on her and she lunged out towards, all teeth showing as she growled savagely.

I let her calm down and bent down with a biscuit and invited her out; same vicious reaction for no reason. Something had changed in the dog's mentality, and maybe something in her physical brain. Without forcing the issue, I tried several time over the next few day and got the same response. When her owners came, they told me the same thing had been happening at their home, and the dog was fine around the house, but turned savage when they came near her in the crate.

They had her tested, finding no abnormalities, citoriyellowstone2012pheasant1.jpg and, very reluctantly, had the vet put her down.

It was as if she had gone insane after a full and productive life as a hunter and a much-loved house pet.

I'd heard similar stories about DDs being "sharp," but this was an extraordinary transformation. Broke my friend's heart, and a little of mine, too.

I have no conclusions about the DD breeding in general, but I've gone on to having only wirehairs as my pointing dog.

Best wishes.

Aggression is a serious issue. My (admittedly limited) understanding is that the VDD would never allow aggressive dogs to be bred in the first place - there are breed wardens involved, so there is a lot of oversight to the breeding process. Dogs displaying aggression would quickly get culled from the breeding pool I would think. Any VDD members on here who could speak to this? I have read that this was a historical problem but seldom seen in dogs in contemporary breeding programs. My shorthairs would've snagged a cat too if given the chance, so fur sharpness seems to be a widespread hunting dog issue.

I haven't owned a male for almost 20 years. Only spayed females. No ruining landscape plants, no heat cycles, no males hanging around during cycles, no fighting, no running off for other females in heat, sweeter disposition. I only owned three male wires many years ago but several male GSPs and setters. All three male wires I owned would not start a fight, but they would damn sure finish one! One was a V.D.D. he was 55 lbs. of fearlessness. He would fight anything. One was 75 lbs. He would greet other male dogs with the dominate stance but wagging his tail. No problems unless the other dog growled. Then he would promptly kick his ass wagging his tail the whole time. I got rid of him before he cost me some vet bills plus, he hunted ground sent to much for me. The third was also 75. lbs of muscle. He was a lot more laid back than the other two but would also fight at the drop of a hat. That's just my experience, not necessarily a trait for every male G.W.P. Earlier I said maybe the best versatile breed. Versatile to most means the hunting of different kinds of game. But versatile to the Germans that created the breed meant not only pointing, retrieving anything they could physically pick up, land or water, tracking wounded large game. Ridding the game grounds of vermin, guarding the hunting grounds from poachers and trespassers. Thats why some are overprotective or even aggressive. I remember that they were a favorite maybe even bread for the game keepers of the time. Remember that they are a relatively new breed compared to some who have been around for hundreds of years. Setters were so named for sitting or lying down so nets could be thrown over them. Long before back powder was invented. Thats why you sometimes see setters lay down when pointing. Those genes are still in there.

Back