down hill skiing

Hey Riggs and Shadow, you would not believe the 2 guys I saw on the lift in front of me at Canyons. Right out of the 70's. These guys have to be in their 40's or better, opened faced mini-bike type helmets (red and blue, only 2 coloros back then), no goggles, 1 piece jump suits like a mechanic might wear (Riggs you are stylin compared to these guys), ski straight unshaped ski;s about 210 in length.

Riggs what is deal with the "80's" theme at the ski area thes days. I could not tell if it was cool or out?

Me, I was stylin in my new "Ice Armor" Ice fishing suit. Padded knees and butt and flotation built in just in case I fall into a crick.:cheers:

UGUIDE- chuckling

we have a ski area in Kansas- Snow Creek- I'd sneak out there to ski the Friday/Saturday Midnight session- 10:00pm to 3:00am- when they had fresh snow

That is a funny story. Those two were probably the best skiers on the hill!

I'm still hanging on to my silver/red powder suit for when they come back in style! We called them "fag bags" in the early 90's.

agree- some of the goofiest outfitted skiers are the ones that folks watch

they laughed at my old K2's and outfit- called me "retro"-
I took them into the trees:D

UGUIDE- chuckling

we have a ski area in Kansas- Snow Creek- I'd sneak out there to ski the Friday/Saturday Midnight session- 10:00pm to 3:00am- when they had fresh snow

Hey that reminds me of the time I was getting training in San Fran and were were held over on the weekend with nothing to do. I talked two classmatres into driving up to Squaw Valley to ski for the weekend and use our per diem on meals and lodging. One guy was from Kansas and the other from georgia. We had no cold weather gear except jeansa and our over coats. We froze our arses off but had a great time. The guy from Ga had never skied and the guy from Kansas once or twice.

That is a funny story. Those two were probably the best skiers on the hill!

I'm still hanging on to my silver/red powder suit for when they come back in style! We called them "fag bags" in the early 90's.

You know, my last dog was named from skiing. Idaho is famous for potatos. We skied every day we could, and if someone did a faceplant, we called them a "tater bob". Like bobbing for potatoes in the snow. I always thought that was so funny that I named my last dog "Jackson's Tater Bob". And she lived up to the name. God she was hard on herself. She was always wrecking. She fell in a six foot deep sonna tube hole when she was 8 weeks old!

LMAO, I tater bobbed off the 99 lift at Canyons trying to reclaim my glory days of powder skiiing. made about 20 good turns and then went promptly out the front. JPH will know the lift of which we do not speak.......

Oh, I also enjoyed watching a patrol train his yellow lab avalanche dog in by having him run down the slope while he skied along side.

UGUIDE, so you went and did a header down 9990? Well it sounds like you were well protected with your ice fishing suit. I bet you were the only one on the mountain with one! Did you consider hiking Square Top or Dutch Draw?

jsdriggs, I still see fag bags from time to time. They are actually pretty nice for the really deep days. You know they will make a come back eventually, good thing you still have yours :D

one time in Colorado I saw a skier in blaze orange- sort of shocking- but I figured he was good and was sort of saying so

the ones in the camo paterns you have to wonder about

would be something to meet a bunch of pheasant hunters on the slopes- don't ya think

Always chuckle (sometimes out loud) whenever I see full-camo, blaze orange coveralls or Carharts @ the kind of small-taters, mom & pop ski resorts I usually frequent. It's even funnier @ Keystone & Breck & I would almost pay money to see it along with the snooty folks faces in response @ Aspen or Vail! :eek: :D :p

My favorite CO ski place so far is Loveland - no frills, mostly locals, no high $$$$ lift tickets or food (very reasonably priced), surprisingly expansive for a so-called "smaller" operation in comparison to the touristy Big Boys a little further west. I can be there straight up I-70 in 35 mins from my house & ALWAYS has better powder w/no crowds by far than Keystone, Breck, Copper, Vail & even closely neighboring A-Basin! A 'CO Gem Card' for $10 (w/discounts & two-for-one Fridays) or season pass makes it real easy for me to skip out of the house or office sometimes even for just a few hrs or half a day & either be back in the office or flippin burgers in the sunshine out on my back deck afterward! :thumbsup:

BTW, I can do the tater-bob with the best of 'em! My finest ever was a solid "10" when I tried a medium-air jump like all the HS ski-team kids right in front of the lift line @ Brighton Hill in MI. Earned me a standing ovation, yells, loud whistling, handclapping, catcalls, the whole 9 - it was awesome (NOT)!!! :rolleyes:

UGUIDE, so you went and did a header down 9990? Well it sounds like you were well protected with your ice fishing suit. I bet you were the only one on the mountain with one! Did you consider hiking Square Top or Dutch Draw?

Yup and I thought just hiking to the top of 9990 was enough:eek:. they need to put oxygen stations up there. The snow had several crusty layers in it so not the greatest stuff when we were there.

ahhh hen hen- I'm partial to Keystone- 9:00am till 9:00 pm- I got chased because with the lighted poles I didn't stick on the prefered runs

do have to admitt- they party arround the fire drum a bit to heavy for me- fun- but those youngsters don't seem to need any sleep

have you skiied Ski Cooper- some say the best kept secret- I caught it with 14" fresh snow- nobody there really

my brother-in-law is ski patrol at Brighton Hill- tall fella 6'3"

Last edited:
ahhh hen hen- I'm partial to Keystone- 9:00am till 9:00 pm- I got chased because with the lighted poles I didn't stick on the prefered runs

do have to admitt- they party arround the fire drum a bit to heavy for me- fun- but those youngsters don't seem to need any sleep

have you skiied Ski Cooper- some say the best kept secret- I caught it with 14" fresh snow- nobody there really

my brother-in-law is ski patrol at Brighton Hill- tall fella 6'3"

Shadow, Have you all those places are great. Have you tried A Basin? Just up the road from Keystone. I love A basin if the wind is not blowen. Keystone is great also. It's not Jackson hole or Grand Targhee, but it's still great. I love Dillon Co. great night life. What about Breckenridge, Not bad imho. :)

Lived here all my life and have never been!!!!

Reason #1 : Too many tree's

Reason #2 : Already have too many expensive habits

I will have to go with GCB on this! A tube, no trees or fence post or rocks and I am game!!!!!

Crested Butte is where I elk hunt , but the so called locals" who are living on Mommy and Daddy"s dime" do not shower and the girls do not shave their pits!! They live there for one Summer and stay for ski season and are locals!! Find that humorous!!!!! Beautiful town!!! Some great real time folks!!!! :cheers::cheers:

My sister ski's there every year with 10th mountain Army Division for their reunion. Them old farts just a keep on a goin'.

Only place I skied in CO is Steamboat. Guys I talked to on lift at Canyons were complaining about the long commute from Denver to the ski areas (traffic I guess). that's why they were in Utah:eek:

I've skied just about all of them- sister used to drive down from Minneapolis 2 times a year- we'd load up my station wagon and hit Georgetown- where my parents first stayed on their ski 1961- nice town- from there you can hit quite a few ski areas-

my daughter had a connection in Colorado- he got us ski patrol lift ticket passes- daughter arranged everything- townhouse at Copper- Christmas I hung envelopes from the tree- one for everyone- free stay and ski payed for by you know who- I packed a cam corder- some nice footage untill I crashed and messed it up

sister and her husband lease a condo for 2 months- so it's Crested Butte
they're getting some nice snow-

Lived here all my life and have never been!!!!

Reason #1 : Too many tree's

Reason #2 : Already have too many expensive habits

I will have to go with GCB on this! A tube, no trees or fence post or rocks and I am game!!!!!

Crested Butte is where I elk hunt , but the so called locals" who are living on Mommy and Daddy"s dime" do not shower and the girls do not shave their pits!! They live there for one Summer and stay for ski season and are locals!! Find that humorous!!!!! Beautiful town!!! Some great real time folks!!!! :cheers::cheers:
What do you have against hairy pits? ha ha In the early 70tees there was a elk head hanging on wall in a old hardware store it had been past around town for 80 years no one really wanted the thing. the locals called it the world record. Turns out it was. RM Elk bought it! Crested Butte is one of the most beautiful places on earth any season.

Last edited:
What do you have against hairy pits? ha ha In the early 70tees there was a elk head hanging on wall in a old hardware store it had been past around town for 80 years no one really wanted the thing. the locals called it the world record. Turns out it was. RM Elk bought it! Crested Butte is one of the most beautiful places on earth any season.

It was still there in the 90's. One of the Rozman's owned it. Someone shot it in 1899 at a place called Dark Canyon!!! I think that is towards the Raggeds!!! As far as the hairy pits, It's just not very attractive for me.:eek::eek::cheers:

saw that head- it was nice- word was the old timer needed meat- saw it and shot it with a 45-70

there are places in Colorado you can sort thru the piles of elk horns- you pay depending on the size of the horns- big money- then some take those horns to their taxidermist- get a mount done- brag about it

100_0188.jpg

last years picture
sister just called- "you coming or not!"

told her the Escape is packed, complete with a set of chains for the front wheels- the pass is expected to be a bit rough- I'll see you tomorrow afternoon- dang- big sisters can be hard

Grew-up in great skiing country, but never had that kind of grudge against my knees . . . did a little cross-country (and discovered just how fast a man can run with boards attached to both feet when being chased by a cantankerous Moose . . . ).

Back