dogs

gsh lover

we lost Maxwell Silver Hammer our beloved GSP to cancer yesterday.

Max was a good dog.

I will miss him just like all the others in the past, but he will stand out because he was such a member of this family.

Not sure why, but I am having a very hard time with this, maybe because we are not sure if we will get another pointing dog. Not so sure that I want that to end.

With the decline of the bird population down here in SEK, not sure what to do.

Not looking for sympathy just had to write it down somewhere, so here it is.

I loved that dog like one of my sons,he was one of us...

I'll commiserate with you. Never an easy thing. I don't like some people; I pretty much like all dogs. The happiest times and the saddest times in my life have had a dog in them. Hang in there (and when the time is right, let another canine companion pick you.).

Tough losing a good dog. Best thing for the gone dog blues is a new dog that you give as good a life to.

I just cant figure out why I love dogs so much, especially bird dogs. I think it is their unconditional love and willingness to please. I swear the death of a dog hurts more than that of most humans that I know. Some may say I have a problem, but I think they are the ones with the problem, if they have never experienced the love and companionship of a bird dog. Sorry to hear about your loss.

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle

"Maxwell Silver Hammer" was a great name for a dog. :D

It doesn't help, but somehow I know the degree of my sense of loss is a reflection of the degree of love and affection I shared with my dogs.

It DOES help a bit to know that were Max able to chose, he would not have changed one thing in his lifetime with you.

Best wishes.

Sorry to hear that, friend:( No question why you're having a hard time with it! IMO, we should have a hard time with it. The person that isn't bothered greatly by losing a dog didn't have the sort of relationship they should've had with the dog.

I'll never forget hearing him bark in the field. Apparently he felt the need to get vocal while in pursuit...that's a memory that will last a lifetime for me.

My thoughts are with you and your boys this morning.

GSH,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I understand and have been though exactly what you're describing. I lost the best friend I ever had, or will ever have, in 2007 It still gets me choked up at times as I think of him often. Unfortunately, each time we go though this, it never gets any easier. I've resigned myself to thinking that the pain is good as it reminds us of how special those family members really were and makes us realize how important those that we still have are.

Point!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Having been in the same situation this September I know exactly how you are feeling. I still find myself saying "dogs" and grabbing 2 milkbones.

I wouldn't let the bird population determine whether or not you get another dog. You only get to hunt 3 months out of the year, but you can enjoy your friend all year long.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. There aren't enough words to describe the sense of loss you have. I lost my first dog just over 4 years ago. She really was special, and I miss her even today. A few things helped me a little...I sat down and wrote down all my favorite memories of her, and of the good, not good, and sometimes silly things she did.

And, not long after her passing, I got another puppy. I wasn't replacing her. Rather, I was recognizing just how important she had been to me.

Hang in there...

Really sorry about your loss. Every time someone posts about dog loss, I get a little sick to my stomach. There was a time in my younger days when I had several dogs at any given time. I have lost dogs to accidents, old age, and heat stroke. A couple of them, the heat stroke and the car, I felt real bad about for some time after. Grieve awhile, then get another dog. If you are like most of us on here, life wouldn't quite be the same without one. Good luck.

thanks for all the kind thoughts. reading them is like therapy. hope you guys have a great season. birds be holding tight in the am
:cheers:

Another thing that has helped me is, I frame a favorite photo of my dogs & write a tribute that I frame & hang below the picture. Their collars encircle a cast of a paw print; I built a knick-knack shelf for these.

I too lost my dog, a Brittany, earlier this year. Lord Louis was only 3 1/2 years old. He had a tumor in his chest that gave him laryngeal paralysis.
I felt the same way you did after he died, I didn't know if I wanted to get another dog. It was so very hard to lose him. It took a while, but now, I can't see not having another Brittany. I love the breed and love being in the field with my dog, there are few things better!!!

Going hunting this weekend, the first time in 25 years without a dog. I know it won't be the same!! We had to skip the KS opener.

The good news, my new puppy will be whelped next week!!

we lost Maxwell Silver Hammer our beloved GSP to cancer yesterday.

Max was a good dog.

I will miss him just like all the others in the past, but he will stand out because he was such a member of this family.

Not sure why, but I am having a very hard time with this, maybe because we are not sure if we will get another pointing dog. Not so sure that I want that to end.

With the decline of the bird population down here in SEK, not sure what to do.

Not looking for sympathy just had to write it down somewhere, so here it is.

I loved that dog like one of my sons,he was one of us...

it's not so bad, look at it this way, he has moved one, you move on too, max is now in that great wheat field in the sky chasing birds around for ever,.

spence

went deer hunting this am, not so much to shoot anything , but time to reflect.
hadn't been sitting 10 mins when two does just walked up to within 15 yards and just stood there. it was still to dark to shoot one, but, not so sure that I would of. a few min later, they got my wind and foot stomped and blew, and away they went. sure was a cold morning. hoping all your hunts are good ones...

Sorry for your loss. Maxwell Silver Hammer sounds like the main character in an action movie.:thumbsup:

I can relate to your feelings of hesitation about getting another pointing dog in SEK. I used to do a good portion of my upland hunting there, but now only make a trip or two for waterfowl. Tough decision, but I'm sure when the time is right, you will find the right next dog.

Back