Dogs on longer road trips

uplandsportsman

How often do you guys stop and let the dogs go and stretch their legs on a longer road trip like more than 10 hours? Mine are usually 5 hours and under so I typically stop about an hour in just to make sure they are empty and then go

They are in an owens under a cap for reference

We just drove from Texas to SD and back with 3 dogs. We let the dogs out every other time we filled up for gas. We had one in the back seat of the truck and sometimes you know when to stop...

My opinion only but my is used to 10 to 20 minute rides to the store. Public hunting grounds etc. I drove wisconsin to South Dakota today and I stopped and let her out every couple hours. Cabelas in Mitchell has a new fertilized spot in the grass. :). Lol.

That saiid, the truck time i think threw her off a little. She just wasn't herself for a good hour or so in the field today, then she dialed in. She's sound asleep on the bed now. Long day.

Next to your shotgun and maybe more so, your pup is your absolute key and a necessity to finding some birds. Remember that. :)

Depends on the dog. We keep ours in the backseat with us and he normally sleeps. He is usually with on our 4 hour trip and then 6 hour trip. He basically goes to the bathroom when we do. So when we have to go we walk him. But at the end of the trip most likely he is ready to exercise.

We just drove from Texas to SD and back with 3 dogs. We let the dogs out every other time we filled up for gas. We had one in the back seat of the truck and sometimes you know when to stop...

How many miles do you get to a tank of gas? That would be around 850 hwy miles in my truck.:eek:

I was thinking the same thing, two tanks is a heck of a long day!

Not always practical, but I like to hunt my way to my destinations. I bring a WIHA map with me, and after I get an hour or two away from home I just start leap-frogging WIHAs. It lets the dog run, me stretch my legs, and sometimes I limit before I ever get where I was going in the first place. What would have been a 4-5 hour drive ends up taking all day, but it really doesn't matter. It's a hunting trip, right?:thumbsup:

dog stops

the first stop should come rather quickly, like in an hour or so if it is going to be a long trip. after that, i let them out about ever 5 hours and restrict their food and water some. dogs sleep all night so 5 or so hours is no big deal. just finished a trip with the dogs that was 5200 miles and that system worked well. a thing to remember, the dogs don't truly sleep well and after a very long day in the truck they arrive somewhere between tired and not very fresh. keep that in mind.

cheers

road trip stops

I usually stop after about 2-2 1/2 hours. In most cases I probably need the stop more than the dogs.

Every 2 to 2 1/2 hours works well for me as well. I don't feed them on the road but I do make water available each time I stop.

My family lives a couple hours away, so Fillmore's gotten used to a few hours in the kennel. Our first trip with her as a pup to see my wife's family (415 miles), we stopped every 2 hours. Now, we stop halfway and let her out. Usually when when we stop for gas or lunch. No big thing, she's done it enough she's fine. our last trip back home she almost went the entire trip. We didn't make any stops until we were forced to 25 minutes from home. stupid broken fuel sensor :mad:.

Anyhow, I'd say 3-5 hours between stops is no big deal (unless it's hot and they're taking in water, then I try to make it a little sooner than later). But as someone else pointed out, they don't really sleep during the ride. After a hunt on the way home, that's another story.

Hunting as I go sounds like a really enjoyable day, licenses could get expensive depending on the number of state lines crossed!

stops

About one hour into the ride I'll stop & let them empty out.
Then 4-5 hrs later, stop stretch, exercise some etc water (some)
& go another 4-5 etc.

Back