Dog's Name

A family camped next to us and had two GSP's that were both male. Names were Maverick and Goose. We had Willow, Lakyn (we love the lake in the summer), Kona, Maya, and Marley were among the favorites. I personally love Kona but can't see our pup being anything but Willow now. What an exciting partnership!

I usually try to keep it to one to 2 syllable names. Something easy to call out. That's all the help I can be, I have a hard time coming up with names myself 😂

This is aging me, I had 2 females at one time, viszla and German shorthair and they were named Lucy and Ethel, what a team they were.

This is aging me, I had 2 females at one time, viszla and German shorthair and they were named Lucy and Ethel, what a team they were.
Yes I had a team of Mitzi and Rusty. Mitzi was a French brittany and Rusty was an American brittany. Wow I sure miss those fine hunting dogs....

I'm partial to one syllable names ending with a consonant. I especially try to avoid names ending in "ee" "ey" "ie". My last three dogs have been Tess, Scout, and Trace. It's always a source of discussion between me and my wife. I've wanted a "Blaze" (for blaze orange, my favorite color) or "Switch" (for switchgrass), but she refuses. She wants something that could at least pass as a name for a human.

My friend just named his WPG pup "Margaret Thacther", call name "Thatcher". I thought that was pretty good.

How about "Eleanor?" "El" for short.

Then you can be in the field and wonder aloud, "Where the El is she?"

just sayin'

Have fun.

Oooooooh Ricky!

One of my favorite mini-series of all time is Lonesome Dove. So I named my first Chocolate Lab Gus--he's 13, got him in 2009 and has been a heck of a fine duck and pheasant dog. Our next Chocolate we got in 2017; we named him Woodrow. Wish I could say he was as stalwart and performance- oriented as his TV namesake but unfortunately we had to part ways. Our current yellow Lab is named Newt and he is a real winner---only 2 years old, he has outperformed any other dog I've ever had at that age. He should be a fine companion for a good long time. IF there is a "next" one (I'm about 70 years old now) we'll name him Jake Spoon.

I don’t name my pups till I have been around them at home. Never had a dog with a human name. I end up with names like Storm, a lab pup that was named after the worst storm of the summer his first night at the house. Or a shorthair named Whiskey, she drove me to drink her first week home. But I like easy names to voice if needed!

If I ever get a female, it will be Sioux. Easy to call...or yell. Mrs wouldn't go with that for our new male GSP.

I am getting an English setter pup this Saturday. It’s a female. My wife says davi since I always wanted a male dog named Dave. I’m thinking birdie. Nothing to do with bird hunting. I just like old type names.
I have a Sydney and a Gustafson.

For call names I have started naming my dogs after oldwest gunfighters, real or fictional. Currently I have Ty, and Clay. My future pup will be Holli if a female, Ike, Wyatt, or Earp for a male.

Registerd names get a bit more tricky
HRCH Glen Edin's Delta Marsh Daybreaker MH QA2 Call name Ty
Glen Edin's Watermark's First In Spring Confederate Call name Clay

I should have named my new pup Gol Dammit, it seems to be what I am calling him currently....hopefully in a few more months he will quit eating/chewing everything.

Back