dog vest

birddude

How about some of your favorite dog vest. My dogs get pretty tore up around the chest and underbelly. I bought one off amazon last year. Survived a just few trips.

There was a good thread on this last year BD. GH and others helped me, as I had the same experience as you. I have both the Cuga and the Mendota vests. I prefer the Cuga, but will use the Mendota on warmer days, as it doesn't cover the back as the Cuga does.

What I have not been able to find (checked with Gun Dog Supply), is a vest that also covers the front leg where it meets the shoulder; my bruiser yellow lab had two cuts at that location, and the vets told me that is the #1 spot for dog cuts. Curious if other members have found a way to protect this vulnerable location.

There was a vest at one time that had a short neoprene sleeve for that very reason. But have not seen that vest in the last several years. Find a loose fitting long sleeve t-shirt to wear under the vest as long it is cool out. Every vest will need to be modified to fit your dog so it does not create abrasions in the axial areas. Take off occasionally if plant material works it way under vest. A vest could save your dog some nasty lacerations and shorten a trip.

I've used these Sylmar dog vests for years. Excellent quality and provides some good protection.

Is there a chest protector vest that also has a ring to clip on a leash so it can pull double duty as a harness?

Cabelas vest has held up pretty well

I've used these Sylmar dog vests for years. Excellent quality and provides some good protection.

I have a Sylmar vest as well and it has held up great through several seasons

That’s what I use. I get 3-4 seasons out of one. They look remarkably similar and cost half as much
I've also used the Cabela's vest. They are good but not nearly as well made as the Sylmat vest

Symar is pretty good, rubs my GWP alittle around front legs. Cabela's fit good but quality isn't there. I might have to try a cuga, I've heard good things about them.

I have their vest too and no complaints. I bought a browning branded one be careful with it. It tore the inside of my Shorthairs legs apart they were raw for weeks.
The Browning is what I bought that didn't last long. There's also one on Cabela's sight that looks exactly like the Browning. I'm ordering a Sylmar.

The Browning is what I bought that didn't last long. There's also one on Cabela's sight that looks exactly like the Browning. I'm ordering a Sylmar.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ripstop-dog-vest?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|Smart|CatchAll|General|NAud|High|NMT&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhY-aBhCUARIsALNIC053W6EnP0IYZjgOPtBI7JIlED4dHhTnhjeicTGjx7Zcz9GbuWXLjyMaAlyGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds this is Cabela's vest I had good luck with.
Let us know if you like the sylmar.

I run Sylmar's on my older two. No complaints, I'm sure I'll get another year or two out of them. Picked up a Scheels vest for my youngster. It covers more of the back. I have a feeling this dog will need the extra protection.

I've used Mendota Skid Plates, Sylmars, and Cabela's vests with my labs and despite modifications I still have issues sometimes
with front leg-pit abrasions. I often resort back to the skid plate with a cut-off T-shirt underneath. I pick them up at the thrift store for a buck or two on Seniors' Days. Sometimes I get a few days with them, sometimes a few hours. They're not good when it's wet. I've got to figure out a plan for new 7 mo old Tucker before the season starts.

Back