dog trailers

I was wondering how many people use a dog trailer for hunting but on the highway to the hunting area they let their dog ride in the truck, either in the back seat like mine or in the back in boxes. i ask because a friend of mine had his trailer hit some years back and one of his dogs was killed from a sleepy truck driver. I usually have a couple of guys who hunt with me and they have dogs so when we meet we use the trailer, but on the way there the dogs usually lay down in the back seat. Since the accident my wife gets really up set if I even consider putting them in the trailer. I have three GSPs, a dad and his two daughters and one time when I stopped to get gas the one little girl got in the front seat and chewed my seatbelt almost in half, I showed it to my wife and her reply was "a torn up seat belt is better than her getting killed. What can I say she is the boss, at least when it comes to those dog. Sure don't want to sleep in the dog house, well that wouldn't be to bad because they sleep inside in their boxes, might be a little tight but still :)

Rusty Trigger,
You know I followed a guy with a set up like that once in Iowa, I just couldn't believe it. Every time the guy hit a bump I just knew the boxes were going to come off. Hell those dogs had to have the worst ride thrown all over in their cages.

I use an 8 hole Miley trailer. On over night stays, the dogs all sleep in the trailer. It is very convenient. I often also have 4 porters in the topper shell and can carry over 12 dogs if needed. I picket line to feed and air out. I consider it safer than them riding in the seat. At least they're not going to fly 4-5 feet before hitting the wall. If you get a dog sprayed by a skunk, the trailer takes the brunt. If you have a female in heat unexpectedly, I usually move her to the truck shell with other females so as not to inflame the boys. I have had a few problems turning around in very tight places, and once when my 4X4 was broke I got stuck in the middle of a sand road where they were pulling the ditches but, overall, I would rather use a trailer than crawling around in the truck bed with the boxes.

dogs in trailers

1150 miles from Northern Michigan to Western North Dakota. And, back.

This year we had a cargo trailer with 6 dogs and our gear, 7 X 14 feet. Very stable and not any bouncier than a truck bed. Dogs were warm and dry. Had good ventilation, too. We were able to even pack a small freezer for the birds! Parked in our friends driveway.

6 of us rode in a 30 ft. motorhome towing this trailer. Worked out great.

I also use the trailer for my motorcycle and my music gear.

Walt MI/USA

What do you do if you trailer the dogs there and it rains or snows like it did this past week in Kansas? I could hunt with the dogs if I could carry them in the truck bed, but there was no way I could pull a trailer down those snowy muddy roads! I could barely go down them in my 4X4!

What do you do if you trailer the dogs there and it rains or snows like it did this past week in Kansas? I could hunt with the dogs if I could carry them in the truck bed, but there was no way I could pull a trailer down those snowy muddy roads! I could barely go down them in my 4X4!

If you were talking about us, we borrowed a pickup truck with a topper.

Walt MI/USA

I wasn't speaking specifically to you dvmwed, but just interested in what everyone that pulls a trailer does. I travel about 1200 - 1300 one way to hunt these birds, and I wouldn't want weather to get in the way!

Bullet1,
yehI know what you mean, in Iowa a few years back I went down a muddy road with my dog trailer, did not even go probably thirty feet, about an hour later I finally got back to the main road, I than learned not to listen to my hunting partner. I can still hear him say, Jim it can not be that bad. I still cuss him out and basically the same thing happened me two weeks ago when I tried to take a friends two horse trailer to his place in southern Colorado, Jim it does not look to bad. Well two hours later ,if I remember right ,we finally got the trailer far enough to the side of the road to drop it and for me to get the truck turned around and out of there.I promised to help him get it out, probably come August :)

I have been thinking of getting a smaller 6 hole, light weight trailer. Something a car will pull. That way three or 4of us can split the cost going to trials. With the wagon we could have 8 crates and room for 4 people pluss a bag. I looked at some fiberglass ones, Anyone know anything about them? looks like it only weighs 500 lbs. But I would put shocks on it to soften the ride, I have seen this done and it worked great. Pretty simple and I have a wire feed welder, so in a hr. that could be done. Or any other light ones you know of?

I drive a 2w truck, never leave home w/o my chains! Got stuck in Kansas on the mud, hung a chain on one tire and walked right out! They say a 2wd w/chains will go farther than w/ 4wd! Not seen it done though!

Rod

Back