Dog siezures

Haretrigger your dog sounds exactly like what mine did. Excited to the point of crashing blood levels . And they did lead into seizures. The vets told me to keep something sweet on me at all times. You could see it start to happen. She would get wobbly and walk like she was stomping her paws. If you didnt get her the stuff then she would go into those seizures soon . Luckily she knew it herself and would always come close to where I was. But for a big running setter it wasnt always the case. Gps helped me find her more than once in full blown attack. It was awful but she really loved hunting and was a very good bird finder.
Setter Man...
Agree that we were dealing with the same thing. I too, could spot it coming on, as well as my wife. The wife would go a little crazy with the ice cream when it started to happen when I wasn't around...lol...but I don't blame her. She was right there with me the first time we saw Ella have a seizure and it really shook my wife up.
Ella made it to 12 and the last few years wasn't really bothered by the condition....but she was elderly and was a lot less exciteable..
We too had a lot of good days hunting despite her condition.

I understand. Sara lived untill 9 years old. Cancer got her but she as well calmed over the years. But still kept a close watch of her. Sure do miss her.

I heard yesterday they think my brothers dog has had a few seizures. Have you ever seen a dog have one, and what should you do if it happens? It sounds like the dog didn't shake or anything, but they could see it in his eyes somehow?
Like so many threads this one has gone awry.
The 1 "assumed" seizure I saw had relatively few physical symptoms. The dogs legs were stretched out straight and would move randomly kind of like having cramps. The jaw did the same thing, all the while the dog stared off at nothing. A minute or so later the dog was up and moving but seemed really scared. I wish I could explain it better, but its been close to 10 years. I hope this helps.

Don’t know that labs only are susceptible to EIC- could be all breeds There is another neurological disease CNM I think is how it is referred to but don’t know what it stands for
I think it is Univ of Minnesota that was testing for it 20 ish years ago but info has probably greatly increased since then
When I get a new pup I make sure the dam & sire have been tested and cleared for hips/eyes/Eic reducing the chance of my pup getting them
CNM Canine Nero Myopathy (sp) is lose of muscle tone and to some extent control too, it is hereditary but has zero to do with seizures.

EIC can effect any breed. It was common in Labradors and to a lesser extent goldens. It has pretty much been eliminated by responsible breeding.

FYI At the risk of going down a (deep) rabbit hole, many competitive lab people look for an EIC carrier (not effected) pup. There is a fair amount of evidence that the EIC marker exists in the same location on the DNA helix as the ability for enhanced depth perception and marking.

I dont see how this has gone awry. Every post is about dogs with seizures. Stayed on topic the whole time. Funny what others see.

I dont see how this has gone awry. Every post is about dogs with seizures. Stayed on topic the whole time. Funny what oth
Agreed, maybe awry is a stretch. But Citori16 wants to make it about labs and EIC or CNM. And I bit... I should know better.

I believe Colorado State University is doing research on the effectiveness of treating seizures with CBD. You might give the vet school there a call and see if they can give you an update. I know a number of vets that recommend CBD in tincture form to help reduce the number and severity of seizures in canines, apparently with some effectiveness.

I also have heard about CBD oil can help. I've not owned a dog that suffered from it, but I've seen twice. Don't care to see it again! It's scary as hell. I thought my buddy's short hair was a goner when he had one. Vet said it was low sugar. He would carry a small squirt bottle of honey with him.

Back